What's new

3D Blu-ray Review The Lego Movie: Everything Is Awesome Edition: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What can I say? I love 3D! From the moment I began watching 3D content in my home I quickly discovered that I needed more content. I suspect that those of you just purchasing your first 3D hardware will acquire the same ferocious appetite. That's why I became the HTF 3D ADDICT. I personally love images that pop off the screen and come inches away from your face without becoming overly gimmicky. However, I certainly appreciate the nature documentaries that offer beautiful depth and separation. These are not necessarily reviews of the film themselves. I am not going to concentrate on story or supplements -- you can find the 2D reviews elsewhere on this forum. My job is to let you know exactly what kind of 3D experience to expect from the titles that are being released. As I will be receiving a handful of new product from the studios expect to see more title coverage.

The Lego Movie:
Everything Is Awesome Edition

Studio: Warner Bros.
Product Release: June 17, 2014
Ratio: 2.4:1
Audio: DTS-HD MA 5.1
Running Time: 101 minutes
Rating: PG

On A Scale 0-5

Overall 3D Presentation Rating: 4
3D Separation: 4
3D In Yo' Face Factor: 3

Everything is awesome!
Everything is cool when you're part of a team!
Everything is awesome, when we're living our dream!

An animated movie based on Lego building blocks? When Warner
released The Lego Movie last February, I imagine it was very easy for
most people to dismiss the animated film as kiddie fare. I know that I
personally had no interest in ever seeing this film. However, there's
something to be said about the "word of mouth" that spread soon after
its premier and well into the announcement of this Blu-ray release. It
seemed there was quite a large fan base of adults that were touting the
fact that The Lego Movie exceeded all expectations in becoming the most
hilarious and entertaining movie of the year.

I must agree wholeheartedly with that assessment.

When watching The Lego Movie, one can't help but marvel at the genius
behind it. It certainly is one of the most creative and engaging films I have
seen in a long time. It's amazing that the animators not only created several
CGI themed worlds/environments based on lego builds, but used those pieces
to cleverly create even the smallest nuances like dust, smoke, water and rolling
waves. Not only that, but the chase sequences themselves are so amazingly
executed that one easily finds themselves feeling as if they are watching a
top-rate blockbuster action flick.

However, the two best things about The Lego Movie is that it never takes
itself too seriously while paying homage to (and mocking) some of your favorite
super heroes and one infamous science fiction film (which I will not spoil here).
These are the things that put a permanent smile on your fact throughout the
film's entire running length.

By the way, I should mention The Lego Movie is directed by Phil Lord and
Christopher Miller who also did Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs and 21
Jump Street.

To give you a basic idea of the plot (as really, there are many surprises to be
discovered on your own)...

This is the story of Emmet Brickowski (Chris Pratt), who is just a lonely, boring,
ordinary sort who lives in a generic lego city. All he wants to be is loved and
accepted, yet goes through life mostly unnoticed by anyone. One day, an
unexpected event hurdles Emmet into an adventure with a Gandalf-like Wizard
named Vitruvius (Morgan Freeman), a Master Builder named Wyldstyle (Elizabeth
Banks) and a Unikitty (Alison Brie) who must save the world from an evil Lord/President
(Will Ferrell) who holds a unique weapon of destruction. Their adventure takes our
heroes through several lego themed playsets and pop culture characters that will
have viewers gleefully awakening to feelings of nostalgia.

The Blu-ray makes for an excellent animated presentation with an image that
is crystal-clear and sports an immense amount of detail free of any artifact
distractions. When it comes to colors and their accuracy, I suppose you could
say that "everything is awesome" This is the kind of perfection you would expect
from a film created entirely within the digital realm. Instead of relying on "in yo'
face" pop-out, The Lego Movie is more about providing a sense of 3D depth
that varies in the different play sets we visit. For instance, in Emmet's generic
world we are first introduced to, I found the amount of depth to be somewhat
reserved. Overhead shots of Lord/President business seem to show the most
expansive amount depth, and expertly placed animated objects throughout Emmet's
apartment show a nice variation between foreground and background. As the film
moves forward and we move into other play sets such as The Old West and Cloud
Cuckoo Land, the landscapes become seemingly more infinite. There is a sense
of objects protruding forward from the screen that include various guns and weapons,
as well as a pirate's arm cannons. One of my favorite pop-outs happens at a very
funny moment of the film where we are introduced to a dangling Vitruvius ghost whose
wand pokes prominently forward. The problem is, with all the great opportunities
to provide audiences with some cool pop-out effects (including action scenes filled
with gunfire blocks), all of it seems a tad restrained. Still, with that being said, there's
no doubt that the added sense of depth makes The Lego Movie a more immersive
experience over its 2D counterpart.

There is no crosstalk/ghosting to be found anywhere here.

The Blu-ray's 5.1 DTS-HD soundtrack may not be the most impressive film
experience I have heard, but it does a more than adequate job of immersing
the viewer further into the film. While dialogue remains mostly in the center
channel, it is clear and intelligible. The filmmakers made great use of the rear
channels which provide a wealth of effect activity. Character voices often cleverly
pan across the entire sound field. One of my favorite moments involves an
infamous science fiction spaceship that whisks away from a pirate ship as you
faintly hear one of the superhero characters in the right rear channel exclaim,
"It's party time!" LFE activity is quite strong throughout, but particularly emphasized
in a scene where we "hear the dogs bark" from vehicle subwoofers. In all, the film
sounds rather exceptional.

So, here is the point where I talk about my biggest gripe with this Everything Is
Awesome edition....

Warner Bros. is obviously testing the waters, and in doing so, is forcing some
consumers to purchase this rather expensive box of junk in order to get the 3D film
they want. The Everything Is Awesome edition includes an exclusive Lego Vitruvius
minifigure, bonus 3D movie, and collectible 3D Emmet photo. There is also exclusive
bonus content, a DVD, and a digital version of the movie on Digital HD and UltraViolet.
Of course, those with young ones who are lego enthusiasts have something to hand
off to them once the 3D movie is removed. However, I think it's rather sad that Warner
felt they had to make this 3D Blu-ray exclusive to a set that costs more than $30 and
certainly doesn't appeal to adult collectors.

There are three discs housed inside the Blu-ray case (no lenticular cover). A DVD
sits on one side while separate 3D and 2D discs sit atop each other on the opposite
end.

CONCLUSION

Those who have already seen The Lego Movie theatrically, know what an incredible
film this is --- certainly the most entertaining film to date this year. Those of you who
have yet to experience it, certainly should consider doing so. I think you'll find this
movie to be one of the most creative, funny, and ultimately touching films you have
seen in a long time.

While it's hard to say that this is the best 3D experience I have seen to date, it certainly
ranks as one of the "must have" titles to add to your 3D library. Certainly, this is an
immersive presentation that excels over its 2D counterpart. Just a shame that one will
have to pay the price to own it. Hopefully Warner will offer a less expensive, single 3D
Blu-ray release sometime later this year. I'm not holding my breath for that.

Images are for illustrative purpose only not representative of the picture quality of this disc.

Equipment

Samsung PN64F8500 display professionally calibrated by Gregg Loewen, Lion AV
Oppo BDP-93 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon 3311CI Receiver
Atlantic Technology H-PAS AT-1 fronts, 4400 center; 4200 rear side and back speakers
SV Sound Subwoofer

boombox

Auditioning
Real Name
Hector
"most entertaining film to date this year".
Sounds promising. I have to watch this and go back 30 years :D

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Ron...there IS a region-free UK version of this arriving July 28th that's reasonably priced at a converted US $25, including both 3D & 2D pressings...I've ordered it for myself at Amazon and for those patient enough to wait an extra month, a viably inexpensive alternative to what you've reviewed here...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Luke,

Thank you for that information.

That being the case, I would highly recommend the import over this
unnecessarily expensive domestic release.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I'm 41 and think the extra stuff in the set looks cool, but I still can't afford to pay a premium price for it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
While I thought it looked terrific at the theater I guess I'm the only one who thought the movie wasn't so great.

Actually thought it was a little dull and played younger then I expected it to.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tony,

I have read other comments on the Internet similar to yours.

When it comes to adult viewers, it's sort of a mixed bag.

I went in with low expectations despite the overwhelming positive
comments on the press release that I posted.

I still feel that most adults who enjoy comic book and fantasy films
are going to be surprised by this film in a very positive way.

However, being that it's attempting to entertain two distinctly different
age groups, it's not going to affect everyone the same way.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Such a shame to read that a film that is the very definition of a gimmick, refuses to give in to the gimmick of 3D pop outs. Hollywood's refusal to provide some pop out shots in films that beg for them, is really ridiculous. I just don't get what they're trying to prove?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh, John, I have been screaming about this for years and it doesn't
make a difference.

It's such a shame that audiences pay a premium to watch 3D in theaters
and in the homes and there really is no payoff other than depth.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Like "Edge of Tomorrow", I thought this was a pretty good film until the last fifteen minutes or so.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Edwin-S said:
Like "Edge of Tomorrow", I thought this was a pretty good film until the last fifteen minutes or so.
Edge of Tomorrow's ending didn't bother me as much, but I was very disappointed with the climax of The Lego Movie. Without giving anything away, it just felt very clunky to me after the rest of the movie had been so clever and witty.

Still, very enjoyable for most of the way through. Thanks for the review, Ron!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Weird that when I search Amazon for this, it's still at the "notify me when this is released" stage with no pricing. For something coming out in five days, that's really bizarre.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Carlo Medina said:
Weird that when I search Amazon for this, it's still at the "notify me when this is released" stage with no pricing. For something coming out in five days, that's really bizarre.
And it will be that way until late Saturday or early Sunday morning.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Is there a reason for this? Most preorders from Amazon already list a price at least a week (more often several weeks) before release date, and also say "this title will be released on [insert date]". Usually the "notify me when this is released" note is reserved for something that is so far into the future, or for which a release date is not yet set. Odd in that Lego comes out in five days.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Carlo Medina said:
Is there a reason for this? Most preorders from Amazon already list a price at least a week (more often several weeks) before release date, and also say "this title will be released on [insert date]". Usually the "notify me when this is released" note is reserved for something that is so far into the future, or for which a release date is not yet set. Odd in that Lego comes out in five days.
Apparently, Warner and Amazon are in the middle of negotiations for a new contract, and Amazon has suspended all pre-orders on Warner releases...

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/061114_1530

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Amazon's playing with fire with their tactics. It's one thing going against book publishers like Hachette, but when you start taking on Hollywood...it's not going to end well. First print, then movies and TV, who else can they alienate?

Negotiate in good faith, keep the products available. This shouldn't be like a labor union negotiation with strike tactics...

It's funny, I remember when Apple was called the bully on the block. Looks like Bezos wants that crown.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Carlo Medina said:
Amazon's playing with fire with their tactics. It's one thing going against book publishers like Hachette, but when you start taking on Hollywood...it's not going to end well. First print, then movies and TV, who else can they alienate?

Negotiate in good faith, keep the products available. This shouldn't be like a labor union negotiation with strike tactics...

It's funny, I remember when Apple was called the bully on the block. Looks like Bezos wants that crown.
Is there any other way in big business?

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:
And here I thought the "punchline" was goddamned brilliant and extremely touching. Without it, the movie would have been pretty good - but with the punchline, it was elevated to "Holy shit!"

The movie is going to be for the youth of today, one of those "Ah hah!" moments, like the Loony Toons cartoons were for us. When they view it as adults 20 years from now, they'll go "I never saw that".

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Had to post this here, as it's hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOQxxNYSHR0&list=UUHCph-_jLba_9atyCZJPLQQ&feature=share&index=4

Also, picked this up for $29.96 Cdn at Walmart today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks