What's new

Arrow releasing (Limited Edition Blu-ray) of "The Shootist" (1976) on 03-12-24 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Now, we know why Kino wasn't able to release the last John Wayne movie ever filmed. Arrow did a new 2K scan from the OCN. More specifications in the Arrow link below. Amazon should post a link in the near future. I preordered mine from Arrow.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I don't understand why a scan at only 2k was performed but Arrow's standards are normally very high indeed. There has been the occasional dip however, The Far Country - another Western! - being a prominent example. I'm fairly confident that this disc will be a worthwhile upgrade from the DVD even if the picture quality turns out to be less than optimal.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
But they’re in London - on a Saturday - the week before some holidays or other - so I’m asking you.
But Crawdaddy's in Michigan - on a football Saturday - the week before some holiday or other. We Michiganders never tackle difficult questions on such a day. Maybe ask someone from Ohio - those pagans will fumble through any question at any time. ;)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I don't understand why a scan at only 2k was performed but Arrow's standards are normally very high indeed. There has been the occasional dip however, The Far Country - another Western! - being a prominent example. I'm fairly confident that this disc will be a worthwhile upgrade from the DVD even if the picture quality turns out to be less than optimal.
I bought a copy of Arrows classic western The Far Country, and it was very nice..much better than the dvd by a mile!!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Who allows or performs a 2k scan of an OCN?
I'm sure the rights holder - which I assume is Viacom-CBS -Paramount does the scan an sends the files across the pond to Arrow. They in turn send that to their vendor who does the "clean-up" etc based upon Arrow's requirements ...

1702746628324.png

This was one of the last appearances of Oppie Cunningham as an actor - he is still making movies from the other side of camera ...:)

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Curious to see how Bacall and Wayne work together. Complete opposites politically but liked each other enormously and neither suffered fools gladly.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This was the second film they starred together in with Blood Alley being the first film about 21 years earlier.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm sure the rights holder - which I assume is Viacom-CBS -Paramount does the scan an sends the files across the pond to Arrow. They in turn send that to their vendor who does the "clean-up" etc based upon Arrow's requirements ...

It looks like Arrow themselves performed the remaster, at least that's how I'm reading it. I could be wrong but I think this would mark the first time Paramount has allowed a licensee to do the work. I know there's at least one studio, maybe Warner, who does not allow it. In any case, The Shootist has been on many want lists over the years and we're now finally getting an upgrade.

If you're asking yourself Why no 4K, the answer might be that Paramount will release that themselves, in which case you may want to hold out. Arrow's restorations are top notch and they always use top encoders so waiting may be painful. YMMV. Personally, I'm not waiting.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just this morning my wife and I were discussing this film, and I was lamenting that it was not available on blu. Placed my pre-order with Arrow.

Reactions: PMF

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I bought a copy of Arrows classic western The Far Country, and it was very nice..much better than the dvd by a mile!!
Yes, but the DVD was pretty poor so improving on that was no great achievement!
I just watched Far Country. Unfortunately I must disagree with Capt D. I never saw the DVD, so I can’t speak to that, but this Blu-ray is one of the worst BD images I have seen, undeniably worse than a high quality DVD.

Watching with the commentary on a 55” flat panel was fine, but for projection, it’s borderline unwatchable. Future viewings will be limited to flat panel.

The disc does have some very good supplemental material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks