What's new

General Discussion SONY removing 1,000+ seasons of purchased Discovery content from Playstation video libraries. (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don’t even know what words to use for the article’s conclusion that people should buy discs over digital, when the show they use as an example wasn’t fully released on disc and the sporadic releases that were made on physical media went out of print ages ago and aren’t readily available. You can’t buy a product that doesn’t exist. It’s disingenuous clickbait provocation.

If anything, I think this whole situation speaks more to the idea that it matters where one makes digital purchases. The PlayStation store is a restrictive walled garden that doesn’t allow purchases to be played on a variety of devices, with a limited consumer base, and relatively unimportant to the company’s business plan. Better, in my opinion, to make purchases from a storefront like Apple/iTunes or Vudu that work on a variety of devices, and whose parent companies are more invested in maintaining digital storefronts. I don’t think this situation reflects poorly on the overall concept of streaming or digital purchases; I think it reflects poorly on the PlayStation Store as the place to make those purchases.
Yeah, ignore the closing commentary. That’s just dumb, lazy “must have provocative opinion” to close out otherwise straightforward news update. (And I say that as a fan and reader-from-day-one of The Verge.)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Only when the lights go out during a storm does one realize how lucky we still are to have books to read, by the light of a candle.🕯️
If you enjoy our home theater hobby one of the most important investments you can make is in more than one Uninterruptible (battery backup) Power Supply :emoji_nerd:. Plugging a lamp into one of the battery powered electrical outlets means you won't have to curse the darkness until that goes out and by then you should have found your battery powered LED flashlight. ;)!
1703345988249.png

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If you enjoy our home theater hobby one of the most important investments you can make is in more than one Uninterruptible (battery backup) Power Supply :emoji_nerd:. Plugging a lamp into one of the battery powered electrical outlets means you won't have to curse the darkness until that goes out and by then you should have found your battery powered LED flashlight. ;)! View attachment 207268
Without WAXing poetics, this is a WICKed good piece of information.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Agreed that it is what it is but I also think it's an indefensibly scummy move on Sony's part. Whatever disclaimers their lawyers had them put on and whether it affects one person or a billion, no one buys something and expects the company that sold it to you to say "Nevermind, you don't have it anymore" a few years down the line.
I'm sure rivers of tears are being shed right now around the US for not being able stream season 19 episode 4 of CHOPPED.

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I'm sure rivers of tears are being shed right now around the US for not being able stream season 19 episode 4 of CHOPPED.
Not to mention, this is a total demographic disconnect of the target audience of most Playstation users vs. the age of the person that watches Disco content - largely female skewing home improvement and cooking shows (exceptions would be some Shark Weej content, Mythbusters...) Someone at Sony did the math and said its not worth paying for the licensing fees based on the amount of people streaming the content. Or WBD was asking for more money for said content...Either way, its being removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks