What's new

General Discussion SONY removing 1,000+ seasons of purchased Discovery content from Playstation video libraries. (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

"Sony has signaled its intention to pull some PlayStation content even from those who bought it, sparking concern from customers.

In a brief notice on the PlayStation website, Sony said it planned to remove hundreds of Discovery films from users’ video libraries, preventing them from watching the content they’d paid money for. Sony explained the decision as being due to “content licensing arrangements with content providers”.

Here’s the statement in full:

As of 31 December 2023, due to our content licensing arrangements with content providers, you will no longer be able to watch any of your previously purchased Discovery content and the content will be removed from your video library.
We sincerely thank you for your continued support.
Thank you,
PlayStation Store
There follows a long list of affected video content, which includes over 1,000 seasons of shows, including Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, Tanked, MythBusters, and An Idiot Abroad."

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This was already posted by Ron Epstein in the Streaming Frustrations, Part 2 thread.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Cue the “and this is why discs are better than digital” comments.
Discs are actually digital too but I understood your meaning. "Better" is subjective and therefore unworthy of debate, in my opinion. I'll just say, this is one of the reasons I prefer physical media for my catalog content, although I also remain a daily streaming consumer as well..

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, but at least a team of lawyers didn't come into your home and confiscate the disc because a licensing agreement expired. ;)
Please! This tiresome streaming versus physical media argument is so lame because the general public has already decided the outcome.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think the whole argument is lame and non-valued.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I see a possible legal precedent being set that could have major ramifications for customers who've purchased streaming content. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
We'll have to agree to disagree. I see a possible legal precedent being set that could have major ramifications for customers who've purchased streaming content. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Yeah, this may well be the catalyst for more definitive legal actions and eventual fallout on how the whole digitals "ownership" scene plays out going forward...

IF Sony gets away w/ this, especially w/out much meaningful compensation to their customers, then it would certainly set some major legal precedent for others -- definitely hope they don't get away w/ this...

Of course, no doubt they'll cite whatever fine print in their user agreement(s) that would legally allow for this, so assuming some class action suit ensues, the courts will probably have to decide if their fine print was good/justified enough (vs current consumer protection laws, established legal judgments/precedents, reasonable consumer expectations, etc)...

_Man_

Last edited:
  • Agreed
Reactions: PMF

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
TBH, I think somebody posted it earlier this year in a separate thread because I remember something about the Playstation losing access to some content.

I seem to recall something similar for the PS platform a while ago as well -- might've been before this year -- but IIRC, it (at least the incident I vaguely recall anyway) was something much smaller scale... perhaps that was Sony just testing the waters a bit before making this kind of (more clearly) bigger move...

_Man_

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think I have somewhere in the neighbourhood of 500 movies on iTunes. I've never had a problem with any of them, and I can still access titles that are no longer available for purchase and those which have changed distributors. On the other hand, I've always felt that it's less secure than having a disc, so I only buy titles that are about the price of a rental. That way, even if they disappear one day, I figure it was still worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks