What's new

DSOTM SACD disc defect....check yours (1 Viewer)

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Why is Lee doing damage control?

Anyone? Anyone?.......................

We should take a poll of some sort just to see how many of us are in that "small" number of affected.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
There has been at least one report in here from someone who said their copy had already pieces chipped off the disc itself.

In all fairness, though, I looked at my copy and flexed it. Much to my surprise, the cracks really are superficial - they don't allow the disc itself to break in half. I'm left scratching my head whether I should buy a new copy or not.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: to Crest for manufacturing a defective disc. Bad news is not exactly what SACD needs right now. The CD store nearest to my house has some disc - instead of saying "Capitol" in the back they say "EMI". Maybe I should try that one.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I have two Crest made copies with the US marking on the spine.
ZERO cracks, these both have been spun many times since the release.
My players are both Sony.
SCD-CD222ES
DVP-NS900V

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Lee, I like SACD and I love DSOTM and I appreciate many of your posts here, yet I must say your attitude is really not helping people in this forum buy more SACDs.

The disc *is* defective. I own 3 defective copies by now, bought in 2 different places. Why is it so difficult for you to accept that, indeed, someone really f$%$"#d things up this time? I own some 700 CDs, and I had never seen one that cracked from the inside out. I consider that a defect, and I am not going to play that CD on my players anymore until the issue is resolved.

Should I post pictures of my 3 discs with their defects so you start believing there may be more than "two dozen" people affected?

SACD is just a format, not a religion. Chill.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I agree Lee when are we going to see an increas in SACD titles? I for one would like to see the following on SACD.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Lee, as smart an individual that you are, I can't believe that you would make a such ridiculous statement, that only 2 dozen people are affected by this problem, and expect people to give you some sort of credibility.

And as far as being impressed with Crest, they should have done "all" those tests before they put this junk on the street. Especially if they were using a different material to produce the discs.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
.......And - the title of this thread relates to DSOTM disc defects.

This thread is a bitch fest.

We can love SACD to death in another thread.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Javier, when you made the first statement above, it led me to believe you had no defective discs.

Please post a photo of the defective discs.
:rolleyes:

Lee, I don't know about you, but even if my discs are still playable, I consider those cracks to be a defect.

To paraphrase a well-loved american president, "it all depends on what your definition of "a defect" is".

Stand by for the first DSOTM crack pictures on the 'Net (I think). You'll have to understand, being at the office, I only have one copy of the album available.

Sigh.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
1. Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
2. Pink Floyd - The Wall
3. Suertramp - Breakfast In America
4. Sting - Dream Of The Blue Turtles
5. The Doors - LA Woman
6. The Doors - Doors
7. Fleetwood Mac - Rumors (currently a dvd-a release)
8. The Beatles - Help, Let It Be and Hard Days Night
9.Eagles - Hotel California and Long Run
10. Bruce Springsteen - Human Touch
11. Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
12. Queensryche - Empire

mmmm some BB King would be nice as well :)

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
1. Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
2. Pink Floyd - The Wall
3. Suertramp - Breakfast In America
4. Sting - Dream Of The Blue Turtles
5. The Doors - LA Woman
6. The Doors - Doors
7. Fleetwood Mac - Rumors (currently a dvd-a release)
8. The Beatles - Help, Let It Be and Hard Days Night
9.Eagles - Hotel California and Long Run
10. Bruce Springsteen - Human Touch
11. Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
12. Queensryche - Empire

mmmm some BB King would be nice as well
Sorry Dave - thread crapping is not gonna make the problem go away.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The disc that replaced my US disc so far has not developed any cracks. This disc has been subjected to aprox 32 hours of continous play then allowed to cool for 2 hours and now it back to the player for some more play time :D . So far no cracks and the disc was manufactured in Japan.

I do disagree with the statement that was made saying that the cracks would not affect playback. Well since the cracks are located around and off the center hole. This could cause the disc to come loose in the player. mmmm this would defenantly affect playback.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Come-on guys we are only talking about a plastic disc here.
Have you checked the latest list of automobile recalls?
We are now talking life & death issues and for products that cost $30k+.
Let's keep things in prospective.
Don't you think the auto industry performs tests?
I'd hate to be that person selling fries to some of you at the local burger joint when the fries were just not hot enough.
Get the disc exchanged and move on and enjoy it.
Not to come off arrogant, but life is to short to worry about trivial things as this.
:thumbsdown:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Sorry Dave - thread crapping is not gonna make the problem go away.
What is that supposed to mean Al ?

I do not think that posting a list of titles I would love to see on SACD is craping on this thread! I also had a disc that cracked and since I exchanged it and have been playing the heck out of it I have not had any cracks develope. I love this disc it is awsum and I am a supporter of the SACD format. Have you ever had to open up a rom drive or a cd player that has had a disc fail inside? It is a pain in the A so I do not apreciate you saying I am craping on this thread! Good night now.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

Well - I just didn't see how a want list of titles had anything to do with the problem at hand.

Sorry Dave - I didn't mean anything by it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks