What's new

DSOTM SACD disc defect....check yours (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Well it is no longer three cracks on my disc. After another spinning, two more cracks formed, bringing the grand total up to five on my disc. The cracks are also spreading further into the center hub.

So this disc is safe to play, right Crest? :rolleyes

:thumbsdown: Crest :thumbsdown: Faulty SACD Hybrids

J

Michael_T

Second Unit
Well it is no longer three cracks on my disc. After another spinning, two more cracks formed, bringing the grand total up to five on my disc. The cracks are also spreading further into the center hub.
Return the offending discs, as I did. Send a message to the record companies that we will not stand for this mess. If they keep getting all their discs back as defective, they will have to react - I think?

I have gone through 3 copies of 3 Doors Down "Away from the Sun" - I just picked up my 4th copy - and if it cracks it will go right back to the store.

I went through 2 copies of Peter Gabriel "UP" - and then bought the European issue, which is made in Japan so I am now safe.

I went through a copy of Shaggy's SACD, and so far my second hasn't cracked yet.

I went through 2 copies of DSOTM, before I picked up a Japanese pressed disc.

I have Ray Brown's "Soular Energy" which has one crack - bought through Elusive Disc. They have been notified that if the crack(s) worsen I will return my disc.

My Alison Krauss "Live" has two very small cracks on disc 1. They are small enough that I can live with them for the time being.

My Coltrane "Blue Train" has one very minor crack also, again I can live with this until it get's worse.

All my other Crest made discs have not exhibited any cracks yet (i.e., Police EBYT, Norah Jones, a few Audio Fidelity label issues - as well as a few other titles).

Once the cracks become more than minor I implore all of you to return your discs at once, and don't take no for an answer.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
No, the bastards. :)

Sent in the broken SACD with copies of the High Fidelity articles. Heard nothing. Sent a follow up letter referring to the disc, *also* with copies of the High Fid posts. Nothing.

Cruising Circuit City (believe it or not) for DVDs, and they had a Japanese version, so I got it.

I *have* been thinking of sending a 3rd, nasty letter, but haven't gotten around to it. Now that I think about it, I'd include representative sections of the threads from here too...

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
It may be way to late for some (and this could be posted already), but I purchased this SACD up here in Canada (I don't remember where), and got a Canadian version with a Japan pressing. I couldn't tell you whether they are all Japan pressings, but you might find CDN releases to be a low cost alternative to buying from EU or Japan directly.

Good luck,
Martin.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
John,

I've had great luck with Future Shop. You might try HMV as well. Please make sure before you order anything though... I really don't know if I bought an import.

All,

I was just in a Best Buy in the Toronto area (the one at Sherway Gardens, for those who might care), and saw a few copies of DSOTM imported from the EU.

The copy that I have (not the same as the Best Buy one) claims to be manufactured in California, "Except Disc Manufactured in Japan for Capitol Records, Inc." This is really odd to me, since Crest is based in California.

No splindle cracks.

Martin.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I wanted to add some very interesting here. I ended up with a Japanese import and a European import. The booklets are obviously different. The back insert is different. The *silk screened* (?) label on the disc is different. But want to know what? At least on the two discs that I have, the discs themselves are identical and they were manufactured in the same plant. If you look around the inside ring of the plastic, there's some writing and bar codes and stuff. Identical. I was surprised. :)

I got the Japanese import at a local place in CA. The European disc was purchased in England by a friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks