What's new
World Wide Stereo

DirecTV or Dish Network? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jeffrey Allen Rydell
I *guess* this is the place to post this.

I'm not pleased with the quantity - or especially the quality - of Time Warner's HD broadcasts. Too much compression, 'downrezzing', whatever. Just not up to snuff.

It seems DirecTV and Dish Network are the dominant players in this game, with Dish coming out ahead in movie channel selection (they offer Monsters HD, which I'm dying to see), but what I'd like to know is: who delivers the better, less processed HD picture?

728x90

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It is if you want to discuss the DVRs available from each service. Otherwise, it should go in the AV Sources section.

Dish has just started to downrez their HD picture like D* does. Both are bandwidth limited but still need to add channels to compete. D* launched new spot beam satellites for HD locals last summer and they are rolling out markets as fast as they can. New satellites this summer are for national HD channels. Dish is shooting at least one new satellite up this year but I don't have any details.

Monster HD or any of the Voom channels - do some reading. From what I hear, there's a lot of repeats. Check the programming and see if fits with your viewing habits.

Receivers - A DVR is almost a requirement for most. I haven't watched live TV in years. Each has selections with different features. Current models should be listed at each company's web sites.

-Robert

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It all started with abbreviations for Alphastar (A*), Primestar (P*) and Echostar (parent company of Dishnetwork) (E*) satellite systems in the late '80s and early 90's. The asterisk representing the star part of the name. By default, DirecTV became D* even though they don't have "star" anywhere in their name. Some people refer to them as DTV but that is the common abbreviation for Digital Televison (aka high def television received with an antenna).

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks