What's new

Community - season 1 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't quite on-board at the start of the pilot episode, but it might have some life as Jeff has to actually put in some study time to get through his stint at community college.

It was nice to see Alison Brie in a contemporary setting (she plays Trudy Campbell on "Mad Men").

Don't mind staring at Britta, either.

Hopefully Chevy Chase can provide some laughs on this show.

Not sure if it'll catch on with the general audience, but I think it might have more promise than "Parks and Recreation".

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I only watched the first two episodes of Parks and Recreation, and to me this showed way more promise than that- I actually laughed at this one a few times.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"P & R" is like a trainwreck of a sitcom, but I hope Community will provide much more substantial laughs and stories.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not that big of a fan of Parks And Recreation (although I thought last night's episode was very funny) but that show is a masterpiece compared to Community. In all fairness, it's only a pilot and the cast is likable enough so there's room for it to grow.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The pilot started off a little slow and underwhelming, and it was more smug than funny, but somewhere around the Breakfast Club quote, I started laughing a lot. I laughed more at the last 10 minutes of the pilot than I did the entire first season of P&R.

BTW, how did this become a P&R bashing thread?

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I enjoyed Community. I laughed so hard through out it. The Breakfast Club references were hilarious and I loved how they played the song at the end. I thought each and everyone of the cast members were wonderfully funny. I look forward to next week.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I was about to say, this show shouldn't even be compared to P&R. One episode in and it's provided way more laughs than the first seven of P&R. It wasn't amazing or anything, but once the characters get fleshed out some more I think this will be a great complement to The Office and 30 Rock on Thursdays.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I'll start by saying I absolutely love Joel McHale on The Soup. He consistently provides more laughs on that show in 30 min. than pretty much anything on TV these days. However, I thought the premiere of Community was pretty bad. I kept waiting for it to actually be funny, but that never happened. I'm not going to bail on the show after only one episode, but if it doesn't get better than the premiere by week 3 or 4 I'll be dropping this one from my season pass.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as one of the people who tuned in because of Jole McHale's snark on The Soup. He brings the same intensity to this show, but with an introspective quality that the E! format doesn't leave room for.
Originally Posted by TravisR

I'm not that big of a fan of Parks And Recreation (although I thought last night's episode was very funny) but that show is a masterpiece compared to Community. In all fairness, it's only a pilot and the cast is likable enough so there's room for it to grow.
I'm not sure where you're coming from on this. Character development-wise, this pilot was light years above and beyond Parks & Rec. Comedy-wise, I laughed more in this pilot than I did over the entirety of Parks & Recreation's first season. Most importantly, Community seems to actually like its characters while Parks & Rec seems to gleefully delight in dragging its nails-on-chalkboard lead through one agonizing situation after another. I can't think of a single thing its pilot did better than this pilot.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Thoroughly enjoyed Community - it shows real promise and a great mix of subtle and unsubtle comedy...good stuff.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the show more than I thought I would. I will definitely keep watching the show for a while.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Senor Chang's rant in the front of Spanish class was side splittingly funny, and I rewatched the doggerel Spanish rap after the credits like 6 or 7 times. Those two moments alone made the second episode... gulp... funnier than the preceding episode of The Office, and there were all sorts of other goodies in between (seeing Joel McHale in Abed's ultra-tight blue & turquoise striped shirt had me rolling just because it looked so goofy). Abed's pop culture Tourette's and his Aspberger's affect make him the breakout star of the show. He's hysterically funny.

Sure, some of the Chevy Chase stuff fell a little flat, but I'm really digging this show right now. Second episode is definitely a keeper.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's a terrific low-expectations show. It's not setting out to rewrite the rules of comedy, so you can just enjoy it for what it is. The Asian Spanish teacher that's been in all of those Apatow flicks lately was indeed hilarious. The fact that he's actually a real-life M.D. is even more amazing.

Joel McHale is a rock-solid center, though. He carries the show on his shoulders effortlessly.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't super-bust-out funny (what is, anyway), but it has humor and heart, and incremental character development, and decent amount of give-n-take and cat-n-mouse to keep things simmering. Enjoyed el tigra with bite.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Another laugh out loud episode for me. The spanish teacher was so funny, Chevy and Joels assignment was even better!

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I was finally able to catch this show online. I really like it. And I have to agree, the Spanish teacher rant was great. Viva Senor Chang!

Edit: I had no idea this was supposed to be in Colorado. HAHA!

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I must be the only person experiencing Ken Jeong overload. I'm starting to find him much too broad and grating.

The rest of the show, however, is proving to be quite likable. I thought the pilot was very cleverly plotted with a unique approach and sense of humor. I agree completely with Adam and Patrick's comments a few messages up (except for Adam's mention of Ken Jeong, natch. )

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I teach at a community college (we were asked to watch it by the school) and I consider it okay. I found some quite funny individual moments in each of the first two episodes but I also found a number of elements that fell flat. I'll give it a few more episodes to round into form but in terms of "laughs per minute watched", I find The Big Bang Theory a lot funnier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks