What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Nightmare Alley (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
“NIGHTMARE ALLEY IS ALL AROUND BRILLIANCE”

– Jazz Tangcay, Variety

A picture containing text, newspaper, posing, group  Description automatically generated

Academy Award® Best Picture Nominee Nightmare Alley Appears on Digital March 8 and 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD on March 22

LOS ANGELES, CA (February 10, 2022)
– From the imaginative filmmaker Guillermo del Toro and Searchlight Pictures arrives an electrifying film noir, Nightmare Alley. Available on Digital March 8 and on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD on March 22.

The suspenseful psychological thriller is nominated for 4 Academy Awards® including Best Picture, 8 Critics’ Choice Awards, a Screen Actors’ Guild Award for Supporting Actress for Cate Blanchett, and BAFTA, SDSA, MPSE, ADG, CDG, VES, and WGA Awards.

Film Synopsis

When charismatic but down-on-his-luck Stanton Carlisle (Bradley Cooper) endears himself to clairvoyant Zeena (Toni Collette) and her has-been mentalist husband Pete (David Strathairn) at a traveling carnival, he crafts a golden ticket to success, using this newly acquired knowledge to grift the wealthy elite of 1940s New York society. With the virtuous Molly (Rooney Mara) loyally by his side, Stanton plots to con a dangerous tycoon (Richard Jenkins) with the aid of a mysterious psychiatrist (Cate Blanchett) who might be his most formidable opponent yet.

Del Toro co-wrote the enthralling film with Kim Morgan, based on William Lindsay Gresham’s novel.

Bonus Features*

• Del Toro’s Neo Noir – Writer-director Guillermo del Toro and his standout cast decipher the dark, complicated world of Nightmare Alley. The filmmaker reveals how his take on noir is rooted in classic cinema but offers an accessible, modern narrative.
  • Beneath the Tarp – Production designer Tamara Deverell and her talented team skillfully delivered both a decaying traveling carnival world and a gilded Art Deco high society with striking visuals. We explore how this design supported del Toro’s genre-bending filmmaking.
  • What Exists in the Fringe – Costume designer Luis Sequeira unravels his collaboration with Guillermo del Toro and reveals the symbolism that’s constantly at play in the film’s carefully crafted wardrobe’s design.

*bonus features vary by product and retailer

Cast

Bradley Cooper
as Stanton Carlisle

Cate Blanchett as Doctor Lilith Ritter

Toni Collette as Zeena Krumbein

Willem Dafoe as Clem Hoatley

Richard Jenkins as Ezra Grindle

Rooney Mara as Molly Cahill

Ron Perlman as Bruno

Mary Steenburgen as Felicia Kimball

David Strathairn as Pete Krumbein

Directed by

Guillermo del Toro

Produced by

Guillermo del Toro, p.g.a.

J. Miles Dale, p.g.a.

Bradley Cooper, p.g.a.

Screenplay by

Guillermo del Toro

& Kim Morgan

Music by

Nathan Johnson

Based on the book by

William Lindsay Gresham

Product Specifications

U.S. Street Date

Digital: March 8

Physical: March 22

Product SKUs

Digital: 4K UHD, HD, SD

Physical: 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack (4K UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Code), Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray + Digital Code) & DVD

Feature Run Time

Approx. 150 minutes

Rating

U.S. Rated R

* Rated R for sequences of strong/bloody violence, language, and some sexual material.

Aspect Ratio

Digital: 1.85:1

Physical: 1.85:1

U.S. Audio

4K Ultra HD: English Dolby Atmos, English AD 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

Blu-ray: English 5.1 DTS-HDMA, English AD 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

DVD: English 5.1 Dolby, English AD 2.0 Dolby, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital

Digital: English ATMOS (UHD only, some platforms), 2.0 AD Dolby (some platforms), French & Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

U.S. Subtitles

4K Ultra HD: English SDH, Spanish, French

Blu-ray: English SDH, Spanish, French

DVD: English SDH, Spanish, French

Digital: English SDH, Spanish, French (some platforms)

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
No black and white version? That's a disappointment from my pov.

I'm honestly not trying to be a smartass here, but can't you just turn the color down to "0" and get the same effect if you want to?

I was under the impression that the movie was never designed to be seen in black and white and the b&w prints were a post release strategy to drum up interest in rewatches since it didn't perform to expectations in its first wave. Am I way off base here?

I thought the film was gorgeously designed (in color) and beautiful to look at but, ultimately, way too dark (thematically) for my taste so I admit to not having "done all my research" as regards the black & white print strategy.

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm honestly not trying to be a smartass here, but can't you just turn the color down to "0" and get the same effect if you want to?

I was under the impression that the movie was never designed to be seen in black and white and the b&w prints were a post release strategy to drum up interest in rewatches since it didn't perform to expectations in its first wave. Am I way off base here?

I thought the film was gorgeously designed (in color) and beautiful to look at but, ultimately, way too dark (thematically) for my taste so I admit to not having "done all my research" as regards the black & white print strategy.
Unless the B&W DCP is expressly timed for B&W, I don't see the point. I say that knowing I own the B&W versions of Mad Max: Fury Road and Logan. Mad Max is quite stunning, but again, must confess to having never watched the B&W Logan.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm beginning to wonder if releasing films to subscription services like HBO Max and Hulu one month prior to their digital sale debut and on physical 6-8 weeks is canibalising sales.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm beginning to wonder if releasing films to subscription services like HBO Max and Hulu one month prior to their digital sale debut and on physical 6-8 weeks is canibalising sales.
Probably. It seems like those would have been reversed in the olde days of yore.

Guess they're hoping some that might want the physical disc would be impatient enough to sign up for the streamer and may stick around as a subscriber.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Probably. It seems like those would have been reversed in the olde days of yore.

Guess they're hoping some that might want the physical disc would be impatient enough to sign up for the streamer and may stick around as a subscriber.
I think Malcolm has a point; at the same time, I think Disney was disappointed by the box office and is attempting to mitigate that by applying the licence fee from HBOMax to the bottom line. The HBOMax deal predates the sale of 21st Century Fox to Disney. Where I'm at, it'll be a Star [Disney+ adult subsection] exclusive, as is The King's Man.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

"....But Laustsen explains that the new version audiences will watch in theaters was not merely converted to black and white at the push of a button. They worked again with the raw files, adjusting the film’s color palette and taking care with each frame to give it a wholly new look, even though it’s the same film.

“We art-directed it in the perfect color palette to get gray midtones. The gray in the black and white, you graduate it by using greens and reds and some golds — they all give you different degrees of gray,” del Toro explained. “And I thought, well, this looks really good. And it’s lit correctly...."

Nightmare-Alley-Vision-In-Darkness-And-Light-web.jpeg

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
“We art-directed it in the perfect color palette to get gray midtones. The gray in the black and white, you graduate it by using greens and reds and some golds — they all give you different degrees of gray,” del Toro explained. “And I thought, well, this looks really good. And it’s lit correctly...."

Well that's that, then! Thanks! :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Quite possibly, but on the other hand, subscription service revenue is something like ten times what digital purchase revenue is, so the amount of revenue lost on purchases is probably more than made up for in subscriber revenue.

I think it may be a scenario where the average viewer isn’t really interested in making digital purchases as a general rule, in a similar way that the average viewer isn’t interested in purchasing a disc. I think for most people, if they see something is available to purchase but isn’t on a subscription service they have, it doesn’t drive them to purchase the title, rather, it drives them towards picking out something else to watch on their subscription service.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
No B&W = No sale

Surely it will be released at some point. And I’m not that much in love with the movie itself for a double dip.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
A bit surprised that Disney didn't do a double feature of the original and remake together...oh wait, that would mean Disney would have to acknowledge their vast library of films and we all know how much they care about them.

It's a good thing Criterion was able to license the original as it would of slowly rotted away if we waited on Disney doing anything with it instead.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Well, if Disney won't put the B&W version in the set, then all we can do is hope they'll let Criterion do it.
Disney doesn't seem to be allowing third party distributor 4k licenses at this time. Perhaps never. That does not bode well for the Fox library either. Some smaller labels have tried to no avail.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Disney doesn't seem to be allowing third party distributor 4k licenses at this time. Perhaps never. That does not bode well for the Fox library either. Some smaller labels have tried to no avail.

Disney won't let anyone touch anything they own, they will let their libraries rot before they let anyone else distribute.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
A few Guillermo films have been released a second time to include his commentary track. Perhaps that can happen even under the Disney/Fox banner. Companies love for us to double-dip, and some of us are willing to do that just to have the addition of a commentary. Add a black and white version, it would be a must-have.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Disney won't let anyone touch anything they own, they will let their libraries rot before they let anyone else distribute.

Gotta disagree with you, Andrew. They have had arrangements with several other labels. These deals are spotty and temporary, but they have happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks