What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio (2022) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Cwt4rROcpYq9L9HrawgZuc70M30SQI_large.jpg
A classic tale is reborn through the inspired imagination of cinematic dream-weaver Guillermo del Toro, directing alongside Mark Gustafson. Realized through boundary-pushing, breathtakingly intricate stop-motion animation, this dark rendering of the fable of the puppet boy and his maker—which won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature—daringly transfers the story to Fascist Italy, where the irrepressible Pinocchio gradually learns what it means to be human through his experiences of war, death, and sacrifice. Featuring the voices of Ewan McGregor, Cate Blanchett, Tilda Swinton, and Christoph Waltz, this Pinocchio imbues the oft-told tale with a bold new resonance about living with courage and compassion.
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio

FILM INFO​

• United States, Mexico
  • 117 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.85:1
  • English
  • Spine #1201

DIRECTOR-APPROVED 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• 4K digital master, supervised by directors Guillermo del Toro and Mark Gustafson, with Dolby Atmos
  • One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
  • Handcarved Cinema, a new documentary featuring del Toro, Gustafson, and cast and crew, including the film’s puppet creators, production designers, and animation supervisor
  • Directing Stop-Motion, a new program featuring del Toro and Gustafson
  • New conversation between del Toro and film critic Farran Smith Nehme
  • New interview with curator Ron Magliozzi on The Museum of Modern Art’s 2022 exhibition devoted to the film
  • New program on the eight rules of animation that informed the film's production
  • Panel discussion featuring del Toro, Gustafson, production designer Guy Davis, composer Alexandre Desplat, and sound designer Scott Martin Gershin, moderated by filmmaker James Cameron
  • Conversation among del Toro, Gustafson, and author Neil Gaiman
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing and English descriptive audio
  • PLUS: Essays by film critic Matt Zoller Seitz and author Cornelia Funke

Cover by James Jean

December 12, 2023

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Can't wait. Del Toro hasn't disappointed me yet, and I've collected all his films.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Missed its very limited theatrical run here in Indianapolis; very excited to see this. Now, if Criterion would only procure from Netflix Paolo Sorrentino's The Hand Of God.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
As much as I wanted to like it - and I really wanted to like it - it left me cold. I will have to give it a second chance.

Frankly, I though it was awful. Pinocchio himself was Jar Jar levels of nails-on-a-chalkboard for me. By the time he sings a song about poop to Mussoli, I could barely finish the thing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Haven't seen this yet, but del Toro has never really connected with me. I've seen a number of his films, but outside of Hellboy didn't really care for any of them (includes Shape of Water and Pan's Labyrinth). I was very happy when it was announced he was leaving The Hobbit project. Worked out well for him, too, as that led him to the Oscar-winning Shape of Water (though that's still completely baffling to me).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Missed its very limited theatrical run here in Indianapolis; very excited to see this. Now, if Criterion would only procure from Netflix Paolo Sorrentino's The Hand Of God.

To say nothing of dozens of high-profile films from the likes of The Coen Brothers, etc.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Not to mention THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND and the accompanying doc.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Has anyone the Blu-ray of this, and willing to check its pedigree? I rented this, and saw that the play side looks purple and has noticeable lighter/darker areas, which leads me to think it's a burn. But from Criterion?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks