What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Luca (4k UHD) (Blu-ray Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
“One of Pixar’s Best Films”
– Hoai-Tran Bui, /Film

072EBA70-AB50-4B39-BEFC-58EBDDDE7E39.jpeg

This Summer, Embark on a Fun-Filled Adventure of Friendship on the Italian Riviera When Disney and Pixar’s ‘Luca’ Splashes Onto
Digital, 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD Aug. 3

Includes Two Alternate Openings, Deleted Scenes and More

Escape to the beautiful Italian seaside town of Portorosso when Disney and Pixar’s “Luca” arrives on digital, 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD on Aug. 3. The release touts a variety of bonus features including never-before-seen featurettes, deleted scenes and two alternate openings.

Film Synopsis
Set in a seaside town on the Italian Riviera, Disney and Pixar’s “Luca” is a coming-of-age story about a young boy experiencing an unforgettable summer. Luca shares his amazing adventures with his friend Alberto, but their fun is threatened by a deeply held secret: They’re sea monsters from a world below the water’s surface.

Disney and Pixar’s “Luca” Bonus Features*
  • Our Italian Inspiration – Experience the joy of discovery as Pixar artists travel to Cinque Terre, Italy, to absorb the beauty and culture of the coastal region which inspired the characters and the quintessential Italian backdrop of “Luca.”
  • Secretly A Sea Monster – Explore the artistry and technical innovation of Luca's transformation from sea monster to human, and how the theme of transformation is central to the emotional journey of the main characters.
  • Best Friends – Best friends can challenge us, inspire us, annoy us, and encourage us. The cast and crew of “Luca” share their own stories about how besties influenced their lives, and how those experiences informed the creation of screen pals Luca, Alberto and Giulia.
  • Deleted Scenes
    • Introduction – Director Enrico Casarosa introduces scenes not included in the final version of “Luca.”
    • Starfish Hunt (Alternate Opening) – Luca explores the shore and the sea, gathering mussels and starfish, in this serene alternate opening to the film.
    • Isola Del Mare (Alternate Opening) – Luca welcomes viewers to the quiet island he calls home.
    • Festa Del Mare – The boys go to a festival filled with fun ... and danger.
    • Here Comes Giulia – Giulia explores Isola Del Mare, where she meets Luca and Alberto, and asks so many questions.
    • Gelato Trouble – Giulia offers to treat Luca and Alberto to something called “gelato.”
    • Sea Monster Cannery – Luca dreams about a magical place filled with Vespas and gelato, but things aren't quite what they seem.
*bonus features vary by product and retailer

Voice Cast: Jacob Tremblay as Luca Paguro
Jack Dylan Grazer as Alberto Scorfano
Emma Berman as Giulia Marcovaldo
Saverio Raimondo as Ercole Visconti
Maya Rudolph as Daniela Paguro
Marco Barricelli as Massimo Marcovaldo
Jim Gaffigan as Lorenzo Paguro
Directed by:Enrico Casarosa
Produced by:Andrea Warren, p.g.a.
Executive Producers: Pete Docter
Peter Sohn
Kiri Hart
Screenplay by:Jesse Andrews
Mike Jones
Story by:Enrico Casarosa
Jesse Andrews
Simon Stephenson
Music by:Dan Romer

Disney and Pixar’s “Luca” Product Specifications

Street Date: Digital: Aug. 3
Physical: Aug. 3
Product SKUs:Digital: 4K UHD, HD, SD
Physical: 4K Ultra HD™ Combo Pack (4K UHD + Blu-ray™ Feature + Digital Code), Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray™ Feature + DVD + Digital Code) & DVD
Feature Run Time:Approx. 95 minutes
Rating:U.S. Rated PG
Bonus material not rated
Aspect Ratio: Digital: 1.85:1
Physical: 1.85:1
U.S. Audio:4K Ultra HD™: English Dolby Atmos and 2.0 Descriptive Audio, English, French, Spanish and Italian 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus
Blu-ray™: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA and 2.0 Descriptive Audio, French, Spanish and Italian 5.1 Dolby Digital
DVD: English, French and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio
Digital: English Dolby Atmos (UHD only, some platforms), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)
U.S. Subtitles:4K Ultra HD™: English SDH, Spanish, French, Italian
Blu-ray™: English SDH, Spanish, French, Italian
DVD: English SDH, Spanish, French
Digital: English SDH, Spanish, French (some platforms)

# # #​

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
No audio commentary?

I feel like that's a first for Pixar.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It is but I feel like there was a recent-ish Pixar movie that didn't have an audio commentary listed in the press release but a commentary ended up on the disc.

I don't remember that. You might very well be right. I guess we'll find out for sure if there is one when review copies start making their way out.

The only reason I said "might be" is because I never felt the need to buy the Cars sequels or The Good Dinosaur so I wasn't sure about commentaries on those. But I felt like it would still be something Pixar would do.

Unfortunately, Luca didn't work for me so it joins those films in not being something I need in my collection. But it is nice to see this being released for those who want it. I never expected Disney would deny a physical release to a Pixar film, but there are some other films that got redirected to streaming due to the pandemic that I would like to see come out on disc. *cough* Palm Springs *cough*

Incidentally, this also represents the shortest window for a Pixar film to be released on home video, only 46 days after its Disney+ debut. Soul was a Disney+ exclusive for 88 days between December 25, 2020 and the March 23, 2021 disc release.

Incidentally, Soul has never been made available for digital rental. You can buy it at all the usual digital storefronts or get a digital copy code bundled in with a physical purchase, but you can't rent it digitally. Disney seems to want to maintain it as a Disney+ exclusive for those who aren't buying. I'm guessing Luca will be the same situation.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Incidentally, Soul has never been made available for digital rental.
What I've been seeing over the last few years is that Disney (and now Fox, too) are only allowing their theatrical films a brief rental window on digital platforms before switching over to purchase only. I think it's been like a 60-90 day window.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For those interested in pre-ordering, Best Buy has its customary exclusive steelbook:

Luca steelbook.jpg

Target has their own version with lithographs:

Interestingly, the steelbook picture confirms that despite being a 4K release, this is only two discs. Newer Pixar films usually have one Blu-ray disc for the movie and a separate Blu-ray disc for bonus features. This is the first time in quite a while that they haven't had a dedicated bonus features disc.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For those interested in pre-ordering, Best Buy has its customary exclusive steelbook:

View attachment 104183

Target has their own version with lithographs:

Interestingly, the steelbook picture confirms that despite being a 4K release, this is only two discs. Newer Pixar films usually have one Blu-ray disc for the movie and a separate Blu-ray disc for bonus features. This is the first time in quite a while that they haven't had a dedicated bonus features disc.
I think The Good Dinosaur was the last release to only have one Blu-ray disc. I can't say that I blame them for having one disc on this. If there's only deleted scenes and three featurettes, why waste more money on a second disc? Maybe those featurettes are longer than I'm expecting but I bet the entirety of the extras is about half an hour so I say save the plastic.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I say save the plastic.
Oh, I agree with that entirely. It just reinforces the notion from the press release that there are less extras than there normally would be for a typical Pixar release which is still a bit surprising.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I agree with that entirely. It just reinforces the notion from the press release that there are less extras than there normally would be for a typical Pixar release which is still a bit surprising.
I wonder if Luca had had a theatrical release, if it would have had a second disc? I know Soul had two discs but I imagine that the features were already finished (or close to it) by the time that it was decided to put that movie on Disney +. I'd say that Black Widow might show if Disney is still planning on having a second disc for any of their DVD/Blu-ray/UHD releases anymore but with all of BW's release delays, those special features were probably done a long time too.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'd say that Black Widow might show if Disney is still planning on having a second disc for any of their DVD/Blu-ray/UHD releases anymore but with all of BW's release delays, those special features were probably done a long time too.
The majority of Disney's Marvel releases have only been one Blu-ray disc, so I don't think that Black Widow will tell us anything. Endgame is the only MCU film originally released by Disney that I know of that has a second disc, and that is obviously a special case as both a long and landmark movie and they wanted to leave it alone (with the commentary) on disc 1.

Iron Man and Iron Man 2 got two-disc Blu-rays when they were distributed by Paramount. Disney's more recent reissues of those titles dropped the bonus features discs. As far as I know, Endgame is the only other MCU film to have a dedicated bonus features disc.

You are right about Soul though. Pete Docter says in the commentary that it was recorded In October and that as of the recording, it was still scheduled for release at Thanksgiving. I think it was a week or so later that they moved it to Disney+ on Christmas. I remember looking in the Soul thread for the exact date when I first heard the commentary back in February, and it was shockingly close. Pete Docter is not only the director of Soul but the chief creative officer of all of Pixar, and he was sitting there in October of last year unsure when the movie would come out. So it does seem like Disney decided to make that switch at the last minute that they could do so.

Perhaps with Soul there was just more to talk about than with Luca and they didn't have as much that they wanted to put on the Blu-ray. I don't want to thread crap for anybody who really liked Luca, but I certainly feel like Soul had a lot more meat on its bones that was worth exploring.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The majority of Disney's Marvel releases have only been one Blu-ray disc, so I don't think that Black Widow will tell us anything. Endgame is the only MCU film originally released by Disney that I know of that has a second disc, and that is obviously a special case as both a long and landmark movie and they wanted to leave it alone (with the commentary) on disc 1.
No kidding? I figured that all the Marvel movies had two discs. If they don't then I think that the days of Disney doing two discs are pretty much gone. For what it's worth, I'm happy to see any of the behind-the-scenes stuff for Pixar movies but the last few movies haven't had a ton of special features so they might as well do one disc.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I figured that all the Marvel movies had two discs. If they don't then I think that the days of Disney doing two discs are pretty much gone.
I can only speak to the versions I have. But I have all those and my copies are almost all one Blu-ray.

That being said, Disney was producing two-disc sets for Pixar while Marvel was getting single-disc ones. At the moment, Luca looks like an oddity because there is no pattern. We'll see next year what happens with Pixar's 2022 releases next year.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
No short here.
I think Disney is interested in keeping the shorts exclusive to Disney+ now. The Pixar short Burrow was expected to screen theatrically with Soul. Instead, Burrow was dropped onto Disney+ the same day as Soul was. It is not included on the Soul disc.

Additionally, Lamp Life (for Toy Story 4) and 22 vs. the World (for Soul) are spinoff shorts featuring the same characters. Back in the day when physical media was Disney's priority, these used to be bonus features on their respective film's disc releases (Mike's New Car, Jack-Jack Attack, Riley's First Date., etc.) Now, these type of shorts are Disney+ exclusives which arrived on the service after the disc of the respective film already went out to market without including them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks