What's new

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Boxed Set (1 Viewer)

Adam_A

Auditioning
Regarding the aspect ratio debate: Someone mentioned on a message board here some time ago that while Joss may have composed the episodes he directed for 4:3, other directors may have composed for 16:9 regardless of what the "correct" aspect ratio was.

I also think I read or saw an interview with a Buffy director (don't remember who it was or where I saw it, so take this with a grain of salt), who stated that he thought one of his particular eps was better watched in 16:9.

Of course the only way to solve this would be for each director to put out a list of his own eps and what aspect ratio they should be watched in, but that's not gonna happen. Guess I'll stick with the R1s until then.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl

However, that's not their decision to make. And if a director composed a show in 16:9 against Joss' wishes I seriously doubt Joss would have let him get away with it. TV is not cinema, and the director is not the one who has a say in what AR a show is composed. Here's an interview excerpt from Joss Whedon that I posted in another thread a while ago:

"Now, somebody should protect the script, somebody should be there to do that. Directors have to be storytellers and all that stuff, and some are better than others. I'm talking about movie directors, because a TV director has to do that as much as they can, but ultimately are in service to the executive producer. The producer is the one who has to do that. But, you know, as Jeanine put it once, or probably more than once, "A director doesn't have to create anything, but he is responsible for everything." Same thing goes for an executive producer on TV. I don't have to write a line of the script - although there's not a script for my shows that I don't have a line in, or a scene, or a pitch, or something. I don't sew the damn costumes, I don't say the words - but I'm responsible for everything in every frame of every show. That's my job, whether or not I'm directing the episode."

And a little later:

"It's very simple. I said to one director... he said, "One of these days, I'm going to come down and look over your shoulder while you're shooting." I brought him up to my office the next day and I said, "Let me explain something to you. It is my job to control the way you shoot, not your job to control mine. My name comes at the end of every show. You do very good work and you're going to come back for us, but I am never going to let you do something that I don't approve of."

Complete interview here .

Chris

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My Amazon.com order is blacked out as well. It's doesn't apear to be canceled though. I wonder if their holding this for a price change, and if we well have to re-order.

Amazon.ca still has this on their site, for $244 canadian (about $40 more expensive than $129 us after exchange.)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I just ordered this for $139.87 from Deep Discount DVD. Unfortunately, I mistakenly did it twice when it didn't look like it went through the first time. I wrote to them yesterday morning with no reply yet. Both orders were deducted twice from my bank account in the same day (since I used my debit card).

I thought they didn't deduct until your order is ready to ship! That's what it clearly states in the FAQ. This is a pre-order by almost a week. I'm going to call them tomorrow morning. Hopefully they will be able to do a direct deposit / refund for the extra order.

Ernesto.Morin

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff it is a preorder, but DDD is very good about shipping early. So that is why you got charged. It probably is already being packed to be shipped.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Yes, I heard they are professional, which is why I decided to order from them, Ernesto. I couldn't find anything in their policy about refunds for an unopened (and what will hopefully be an unshipped) package for this double order, but I'll find out tomorrow.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I don't doubt they would. But since they can't ship what isn't available yet, all they have to do is cancel order # 2 and either reverse the ETF or cut me a check for it.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Well, I take back the previous post. They already shipped both packages and in the same day! They E-mailed me back overnight, and I'll just simply have to refuse the unopened one of the two and return it. Looks like they will send me a refund by check. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Any Canadians order from DDD? It's still cheaper to order from their than Canadian retail, unless you get hit with dutie and such. I haven't been charged dutie and such with Amazon.com.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The sale doesn't apply to pre-orders, so you basically have to wait until the 15th to order it. So the big question is whether you are willing to wait a little longer to save $27.97. I'm waiting until Tuesday or the last day to order things like the Sound of Music and Scrubs Season 2.

Amit Ashar

Agent

Ah, that makes sense. Is there any chance it could still be excluded? The site says something about excluding items that have a start next to them. I have the set ordered at the $130 price at amazon, and I'd hate to cancel that order and then end up paying the $140 price at DDD.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
what the hell is with Amazon on this set? I preordered the set two months ago and now it's totally gone from the page, does this mean my order is void?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well.... what about those of us who preordered the set ages ago? are we still going to get this set or have we just been screwed over?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Here's a tip. I have a preorder from amazon.com as well, along with simpsons: season 7. So the order will not ship for a while, when Tuesday hits I'll order it from deepdiscount and wait until that has shipped before canceling my amazon.com order.

Amit Ashar

Agent
Too late for me... I ordered the set alone, and Amazon says they're getting my order ready for shipping, so I can't cancel it. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks