What's new

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Boxed Set (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Hmmm. Interesting. Did you see a review on the bonus disc? I haven't watched it yet, because I haven't watched the show yet, but I did lend it to a friend of mine who is a Buffy fanatic (but a p.o'd Buffy fanatic, who wont double dip on the box set.) He called me up to tell me that, despite missing the major cast, the bonus disc was pretty solid, and a really nice look back on the series. He liked the round table the best, and it apparantly runs close to an hour. I haven't heard anything else about it though, just what my friend said.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Buffy the Vampire Slayer was one of my 2 favorite series in the late 1990s / early 2000s. The other was The X-Files, and the reason I haven't purchased any sets of that series YET is because they are too expensive. That's the same reason I haven't purchased Buffy in the past, even though they were lower in price to begin with....just not this low.

So it seemed more economical for me to buy Buffy now in this affordable giant megaset edition for $139.87. I should have it in the mail any day. It doesn't bother me that a lot of episodes don't have commentaries. There are episodes I never want to see again (such as that awful musical "Once More with Feeling!). However, if that one has a commentary, I will watch it again but only that way.

However, I did buy the first season of ANGEL when it first came out and that was around the time that reruns of the series were about to start on TNT. It was when the series was in its last year on the WB.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
When I said that the bonus disc is hardly worth mentioning, I meant that to rebuy the set for one disc of special features doesn't make a lot of sense. I do however think it is a great opportunity for people who have yet to buy Buffy, to pick the entire thing up for $140. I also stand by what I said about the individual boxes looking better on the shelf than the big box. The box looks better in photos than it does when you see it first hand.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
The digipacks that they all came in the first time around look nice at first, but after a while they start to lose durability. Season 1 was showing white marks on the corners where the flaps open up, and I could tell it wasn't going to last long. Doesn't bode well for rewatchability. I started taking all 6 discs out of each set when I would do marathons just because opening it one time was less harmful to the box than opening it six times. :frowning:

This looks like it'll be a little easier.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

You can pick it up much less than that in fact.

I bought it from DDD yesterday on sale for $112 including shipping.

I believe that may have been the best deal I have ever seen for a DVD set considering how many hours are in this...

Andy

MichaelColvin

Stunt Coordinator
I just opened mine from Amazon and I got two Season 7s and No Season 6! Will be calling Amazon shortly. GRR...

Did this happen to anyone else?

But the set looks *amazing* SIGH.

- Michael C:)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Don't know what you mean, becaus the 6th season was excellent!

It was the final season that was good....but overlong. It took forever for those slayer girls to get organized in their preparing for the big showdown between them and the ancient vampires! I felt that Buffy and Faith worked well together in the last year, even if it was difficult for Buffy to trust her former nemesis again.

The 7th season definitely could have been told in less than half the number of episodes.

But that grand series finale made it all worthwhile! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

that's your opinion. Season 6 was a lot better than people credit it for. I have one friend who considers 6 the best of the entire run, but she was a big Tara/Willow fan. I'd rank it third behind just seasons 2 and 3 myself, and I know a lot of other people who like that season.

Now season 7, most people I know think that season was garbage, but season 6 was great.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I also LOVE the 6th season. Tabula Rasa, Normal Again are amazing. The musical is IMHO the best Buffy ep. ever with The Body being a close second. I love the trio and I think that alot of people disliked them because they hit too close to home. My friend's wife turned to all of us once during an episode and said, "These guys are you!"
I liked that Buffy got into real grownup problems like bill paying, holding down a job, dealing with doubt about her purpose. I identify with those eps. much more than "I hope I get on the cheerleading squad!" Willow turning dark was the ultimate character arc and she needed to have that happen to finally challenge Buffy as being just a "sidekick" which had been building since the halloween episode in S4. And the Spike thing was much more interesting dramatically than the Angel thing which had nowhere left to go by S3 and him leaving for his own show was brilliant. The mostly excellent book "Buffy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081...books&v=glance

has a bunch of essays by philosphy professors, many with Phd's and S6 is one of the most written about seasons in the book what with all the heavy issues that it tried to tackle. It may not be a perfect season but at that point it was the most ambitious dramatically IMHO. Go back to S1 and compare and it's just, boo! this week's teenage metaphor made literal, "High School is Hell", "My mom's a witch." and later "Men are wolves"... Buffy fans seem to fall into 3 distinct camps. The "High School Years only" camp, The "Should've ended with S5" camp and the "I like all the seasons of Buffy" one which I reside in. But I'd take S6 over S1 and some of S2 any day.

but what do I know....

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I will be the first to admit season 6 had more than it's share of clunkers (the only reason season 6 isn't higher than 2 and 3 in my book is because of the bad episode), the string of episodes from Doublemeat Palace to As You Were were painful, but IMO, the best of season 6 is possibly the best of the entire series. The Dark Willow arc may be my favorite of the entire series, being that Willow was always my favorite character and she just rocked in those episodes. I also loved OMWF, Tabula Rasa, etc.... I loved the pairing of "Spuffy" and I too wanted to just kill Xander when he left Anya at the alter, etc... Season 6 probably ticks a lot of people up because the characters were all officially adults, and I suppose it's kinda hard to let go of the fact that they are not in high school anymore.

Even though season 6 was bashed a lot when it initially aired, it seems like the consensus has shifted in it's favor after people were able to revisit the season. I thought season 6 was a GREAT year

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I actually rewatched "Doublemeat" after me and my fiancee had a weird KFC experience and we were howling!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I agree with you about the "camps" of Buffy fan, I think each season has something to offer

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I HATED Season 6 when it first aired, but I recently re-watched it on the DVDs, and to my surprise liked it much better the second go round. Found moments in there that I had totally glossed over in my intense dislike of the Buffy-Spike sexual debacle. And I always found "Doublemeat Palace" to be cheesey fun, but fun nonetheless (pun not intended.)

As for Season 7, I liked it for the most part, but HATED the Slayerettes. And the finale was WAY too rushed. They should have taken 2 hours to tell the final ep, and lost one of the filler eps from the mid-point of the season.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Season 6 ended up being my favorite season after S2.

I loved how all of the characters grew and stumbled through obstacles in their lives. The Buffy and Spike relationship was interesting because it wasn't based on love. It was great to see a show explore the other reasons behind sex (it's always profound love on tv shows) and while it wasn't good for Buffy, it was understandable.

In my eyes, S6 remains the most underrated season of the show. Worlds better than the sloppy and uneven Season 7.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I enjoyed the Buffy / Spike sexual relationship, because Spike wasn't bound by that annoying curse that Angel had. That period was one of the strongest examples of character growth in TV history, and that applies to both Spike and Buffy -- particularly Spike.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I am so glad I am not alone in the season 6 love. It almost felt Spartican where I stood up and said "I love season 6" and 10 people followed my lead. S6 needs to be re-evaluated, IMO it was definately the best the series got post-graduation.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
And just to be clear, I was dissin' Season 7, not Season 6, with the rationale it would be better to have doubles of S6 than double of S7. You may now continue with the everlasting debate :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks