What's new

General Discussion BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (2003-2008) (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The pilot for the original series was originally broadcast on TV in a 3-hour (including commercials) timeslot. A shorter, 2-hour version was released theatrically (in Sensurround!)

Universal offers three releases:

Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection has the theatrical version of the pilot in widescreen, the entire original series (including the broadcast version of the pilot) in both widescreen and the original full-frame ratios, and the entire sequel series, Galactica: 1980, in both widescreen and full-frame ratios.

Battlestar Galactica: The Remastered Colection has just the two TV series in widescreen only, and does not have the theatrical version of the pilot.

Battlestar Galactica: 35th Anniversary Edition is just the theatrical version of the pilot. There's also a 4K UHD+BD edition.
Thanks!

You did a much better job of explaining this than the review I read. According to Bly Ray.com, there's a new widescreen version of the original series coming soon which includes some extras.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thanks!

You did a much better job of explaining this than the review I read. According to Bly Ray.com, there's a new widescreen version of the original series coming soon which includes some extras.
If you want the series in OAR then the only choice on BR is Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection. It's often on sale at Amazon for ~$45 (currently just under $48 - and they claim it's an R2 release - it's not). Here's the BR.com review for that set: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Battlestar-Galactica-The-Definitive-Collection-Blu-ray/119231/#Review

I much prefer the "reimagined" version from the early 2000s. It's much, much better and more adult. Don't go on a few snippets - you really need to see a few episodes to grasp what was done to update the series.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
If you want the series in OAR then the only choice on BR is Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection. It's often on sale at Amazon for ~$45 (currently just under $48 - and they claim it's an R2 release - it's not). Here's the BR.com review for that set: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Battlestar-Galactica-The-Definitive-Collection-Blu-ray/119231/#Review

I much prefer the "reimagined" version from the early 2000s. It's much, much better and more adult. Don't go on a few snippets - you really need to see a few episodes to grasp what was done to update the series.
I like the 2000s version. The plot definitely runs deeper, and I think there is more action overall (maybe?). But it is a little more somber than I'd like - I miss the Star Wars-ish adventure vibe of the original. And I really miss Stu Phillips' score. Also the charisma of a certain cast member...

Last edited:

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Just wondering, are you at all familiar with the cheesy 1978 television series? Despite growing up with that original, I found the Ron Moore version utterly surpassed it in every way... even though they changed the frakkin' helmets.

681384613692ab2057e6b31945b0a05e.jpg

4175281108_415d88fed9_b.jpg
I am not familiar with the cheesy show at all. It is because of that cheesy show that I would not watch the Ron D. Moore show.

The name immediately makes you think of a 1970s Star Wars rip off.
but Wood Ronald de Moore did changed the game

Love the shirt of Adama by the way

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Thanks, most awesome Wes. If I go over there and we have a little time, maybe one episode. Fridays we have more time, and it will be a run of 4-5 episodes - compelled. I forgot that there are 12 Cylons. BTW, there is no "jump the shark" (post #29 above here) with "guess who is the next Cylon," b/c that concept is set up from the beginning.

Keeping my antenna up for Leobin for sure.
Looking forward to tomorrow night!
We're starting at S2 Ep 3
....web link didn't work, btw :(

Because my middle name is Random, but just curious if you ever watched/got into and enjoyed NetFlix's 2018 "The Haunting of Hill House?" It's one I've heard good things about, forgot about, then just came back up on my radar yesterday.
View attachment 215531
The web link didn’t work? Aargh.
OK, try this link for the webisodes between seasons two and three (they are cut into one long sequence)

Well, I mean, you don’t really need the web episodes

But I’m so glad you’re watching this brother, I can’t tell you because I’m rewatching.
And now that you’re into season 2…
oh my God. PREPARE.

So much happens

This is where the storytelling really starts to open up.

Let me know what you got to when you have a chance.

I checked my FTL drive and jumped from ending of season 1 to ending of season 2.

Started to rewatch from there.
Currenly, I’m three episodes into season 3.

You dragged me back to BSG.
We have a nice healthy thread going here.
😆

IMG_5403.jpeg

Last edited:

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Well, it'd be a rewatch all around, so, yes, I am familiar with Caprica -- which I think was better than its general reputation would have it -- and also all of BSG, so "spoilers" in Caprica wouldn't phase me, as it wouldn't reveal anything I didn't already know.

It's just that after having watched Caprica during its original broadcast, I never got around to rewatching BSG, to see how well it integrated with it. So, I figure that if I'm going to rewatch BSG, I might as well start off with the prequel.
Don't get me wrong, I think it’s an interesting idea.

My only hesitation would be that they didn’t finish Caprica.

And they had great actors, great story and momentum.

But the audience wanted to see Starbucks and Adama...
Roslin and the six.

They didn't seem to want to invest in the past.

I also thought Blood and Chrome was great.

Now… 20 years later, they are asking Katie Sackoff if she would return to Battlestar Galactica.

"Depends on the story and who else would come back ( from the 2003-2008 series)."

but unfortunately, Edward James almost is battling throat cancer right now. God bless him.
Best wishes to him that he pulls through.

if you do it, let me know what your thoughts are on how they marry up

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
if you do it, let me know what your thoughts are on how they marry up

It might be a while. I'm just finishing up my rewatch of The Expanse, with the complete series set. And the complete series of Babylon 5 is next in the queue (and I've yet to decide whether to watch the movies -- or the spin-offs -- on DVD along with; probably not, but we'll see).

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Thanks, most awesome Wes. If I go over there and we have a little time, maybe one episode. Fridays we have more time, and it will be a run of 4-5 episodes - compelled. I forgot that there are 12 Cylons. BTW, there is no "jump the shark" (post #29 above here) with "guess who is the next Cylon," b/c that concept is set up from the beginning.

Keeping my antenna up for Leobin for sure.
Looking forward to tomorrow night!
We're starting at S2 Ep 3
....web link didn't work, btw :(

Because my middle name is Random, but just curious if you ever watched/got into and enjoyed NetFlix's 2018 "The Haunting of Hill House?" It's one I've heard good things about, forgot about, then just came back up on my radar yesterday.
View attachment 215531
And by the way…
the great Mike Flanagan.
I have seen, and I love the haunting of Hill House
Mike Flanagan is an incredible storyteller

My type of horror, American Gothic horror.
his masterpieces the series he did right afterwards… “Midnight mass “

Masterpiece

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
The web link didn’t work? Aargh.
OK, try this link for the webisodes between seasons two and three (they are cut into one long sequence)

Well, I mean, you don’t really need the web episodes

But I’m so glad you’re watching this brother, I can’t tell you because I’m rewatching.
And now that you’re into season 2…
oh my God. PREPARE.

So much happens

This is where the storytelling really starts to open up.

Let me know what you got to when you have a chance.

I checked my FTL drive and jumped from ending of season 1 to ending of season 2.

Started to rewatch from there.
Currenly, I’m three episodes into season 3.

You dragged me back to BSG.
We have a nice healthy thread going here.
😆

View attachment 215719

Just as another reminder for others for the Battlestar Galactica (2004--2009) sequence:
  1. Miniseries (Parts 1 & 2)
  2. Season 1 (13 Episodes)
  3. Season 2 (20 Episodes)
  4. The Resistance Webisodes (10 Mini Episodes)
  5. Season 3 (20 Episodes)
  6. Razor Flashbacks Webisodes ( 7 Episodes)
  7. Razor (Movie)
  8. Season 4.0 (10 Episodes)
  9. The Face Of The Enemy (10 Webisodes)
  10. Season 4.5 (11 Episodes)
  11. * The Plan

* Don't Bother Unless You Must

* Thanks again, oh most awesome Wes. Yes, Roslin for president!
* Thanks for the BG weblink - that will be helpful
* Thanks for the feedback on House on Haunted Hill (2018) - sounds like I'm going to need to add it to the que.
* Thanks for the feedback on Midnight Mass, from amazing Mike
Flanagan - I watched the trailer and it looks intriguing. I'd never heard of it, so kind thanks. Wow! Love the location of the story.
* BG: Went through about four fantastic, gripping episodes last Friday. So at S 02 Ep 07 next ....'No. Overall" #20 is next in the que, see below, per this helpful
chart from Wikipedia
:
1710108570756.png

Help? Confused in "The Farm" when Starbuck awoke in the medical bed. We kept saying: "how did she get there!?" We missed the segue or there was no segue. Based on the deceptive doctor's explanation to her, we still don't understand. Last we saw was she was playing that sport with the leader, Sam Anders. ...Might have to look at that again, as the Blu-ray may have been damaged & jumped the first chapter or something? ....Ok, just read
Wikipedia's "The Farm," and it looks like was an initial ambush by the Cylons that got her to the medical facility. Didn't see that! Ugh! must investigate....

And her doctor, "Simon O'Neill" btw....I was thunderstruck how the actor's (Rick Worthy) speaking voice: pitch, tone, inflections was so much like Barak Obama. I'd never seen this actor before, and it was filmed (2005) at least three years before Obama was in office (2008 - ) , so it didn't seem intentional by the actor or creators. I wondered if other fans thought the same at some point. Or maybe I'm high on crack?

It's all so much fun and intrigue. Even when the Cylons - especially the Sharon ones - seem to be shifty against their own kind. Great acting by all, and compelling writing+. Having such a terrific time.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
ANSWER 1 OF 2:
* Thanks again, oh most awesome Wes. Yes, Roslin for president!
YES! YOU BET!!!

* Thanks for the BG weblink - that will be helpful
I'VE GOT YOUR BACK BROTHER!
* Thanks for the feedback on House on Haunted Hill (2018) - sounds like I'm going to need to add it to the que.
OH MOST DEFINITELY, GREAT ONE!!! YOURE VERY WELCOMED
* Thanks for the feedback on Midnight Mass, from amazing Mike Flanagan - I watched the trailer and it looks intriguing. I'd never heard of it, so kind thanks. Wow! Love the location of the story.

YOURE GONNA LOVE THIS ONE... YOURE VERY WELCOME!!!!!!!
* BG: Went through about four fantastic, gripping episodes last Friday. So at S 02 Ep 07 next ....'No. Overall" #20 is next in the que, see below, per this helpful chart from Wikipedia:

OH YOU'RE AT A GREAT PART, THE DAMN FARM....I WANT TO BLOW 🔥 THAT PLACE TO PIECES

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks