What's new

Battlestar Galactica (1978 film) on 4K UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
From The Digital Bits

"And now we’re into Rumor Mill territory, but the Australian video retailer Sanity (Sanity.com.au) is indicating that... and Battlestar Galactica (1978) is coming to 4K Ultra HD in July.... and Battlestar is obviously a Universal title here in the US. We don’t have any more information on these at the moment, but we’ll keep our eyes and ears peeled and update you when we hear more."

Source

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Not something that I'd be looking forward to. It was shot for television, and the TV-level special effects were way too obvious on the big screen. I can't imagine them being improved with 4K resolution.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought the blu-ray looked as good as we were going to get. But hey, if the reviews are good for the 4k, I'm in.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Not anything significant from my standpoint because the theatrical version of the pilot has always struck me as nothing more than a curio that's missing more than 40 minutes of story content from the original broadcast of the pilot. A 4k reissue of the series though I'd be in favor of!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I think it would take some decent extras, such as the "Starbuck's shirt off in turbo-lift" scene (that was in the Canadian theatrical, as I recall) or some as-yet previously unreleased deleted scenes to get most folks to bite on this. I doubt Universal gave them that kind of access to the archive.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
So we get to see this shot over and over in 4K UHD. Can't wait.

a304730eedb35516ed11caea9b3f223edc3ce207.gif

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger

Attachments

• IMG_1043.jpeg
    IMG_1043.jpeg
    538.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1044.jpeg
    IMG_1044.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 26

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'd note that Dykstra was opposed to the idea of a theatrical release because the F/X were designed for the television screen and lose something on the big screen. In addition to the cropping of the image and the loss of story content, this is not the version Universal should concentrate on in the 4K format.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I kind of enjoy having this title as part of the Battlestar Ultimate Collection (or whatever it was called) on blu-ray. Unless the reviews are stellar, I might sit this one out.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I'm happy for everyone who's excited about Battlestar Galactica (1978) getting 4K treatment.

That said, I can think of frames of 35mm film that are a lot more worthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks