What's new

Aspect Ratio Documentation (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
By time they were released, 1.85:1 had been the established standard ratio for non-anamorphic presentation for nearly 15 years so Boxoffice no longer listed the aspect ratio data.

Boy.JPG

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I know Devil's Canyon was released wide screen, but there are a lot of scenes where the top of heads would be cropped. It was recently on TCM.

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Hey Bob,
two quick aspect ratio questions.

1) What is the OAR aspect ratio of The Stewardesses (1969). Everywhere I see says 1:33, but being 1969, wouldn't it have been widescreen? Just wondering.

2.) Also, I've heard some people say that 1953's Houdini is supposed to be widescreen. All home video releases and everywhere online list it as 1:33. Do you know which is correct?

Thanks

-Mark

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
A historic Golden Age 3-D/widescreen film - not seen as originally intended since 1953 - is coming to 3-D Blu-ray.

Watch for an announcement from Kino Lorber next week!

One hint: John Payne was originally cast in the lead but was not available due to a scheduling conflict with his work in Edward Small's production of 99 RIVER STREET.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So, it was shown widescreen but should not have? That could be Sangaree or Those Redheads From Seattle.

I think he means the opposite - that it was originally released in 3D and widescreen, but has only been seen in 2D open matte transfers since. I don't have a guess.

gjn123

Agent
Real Name
Brendan Brennan
What is the correct ration for Disney's Rob Roy, the Highland Rogue? Is 1.66:1 the correct ration for Patterns?

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Hey Bob,
Have an obscure one for you. Garagehouse pictures is releasing 1968 The Satanist. It was lost film but they found a print. They are releasing it in 1:33 aspect ratio. Shouldn't this one be 1:66, 1:85, or even 1:75 since it was almost 1970?
Or because this is a lower budget title, could it have been presented in 1:33? Any ideas?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Just one week to go for the October 4 release of IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE on 3-D Blu-ray!

Did you know that IT was the first science-fiction feature released for the home market by the legendary Castle Films in 1957? Learn about that expensive release (and much more) in our latest segment on Classic Movies and More:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Just one week to go for the October 4 release of IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE on 3-D Blu-ray!

Did you know that IT was the first science-fiction feature released for the home market by the legendary Castle Films in 1957? Learn about that expensive release (and much more) in our latest segment on Classic Movies and More:

Bob,
Great video!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks