What's new

Aspect Ratio Documentation (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The new BFI BD of Women in Love will have an aspect ratio of 1.75 (the MGM DVD is 1.66) - interesting in light of Bob's posts here about this aspect ratio being the standard for British films of the same general period rather than the 1.66 that is so common on disc now. I know that's not a huge difference but it bugs me when 1.85 is so casually modified to 1.78 so I, for one, will appreciate the correction.

Please keep in mind that an aspect ratio has nothing to do with content.

It is merely a shape.

RAH

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Please keep in mind that an aspect ratio has nothing to do with content.

It is merely a shape.

RAH

Strictly speaking, no, but the shape of the screen does impact how much of the picture you see. I remember seeing The Wild Bunch restored in widescreen for the first time. After a panned-and-scanned TV print, it was almost a revelation.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
No Robert is right. In that shape, you can put whatever you want. The shape doesn't dictate the content. Some 4/3 transfer might be zoomed in to the point you lose on all four sides, yet no one will notice because it's in the shape they think is right, ditto for widescreen films. The Leone films are so zoomed in, that when you see the full content on a print, and see how the compositions work so well and wide, it hurts.

Gary Couzens

Stunt Coordinator
The BFI's new Blu-ray of PSYCHOMANIA is out on 26 September and I have a checkdisc here, The aspect ratio is 1.66:1. I suspect 1.75:1 or 1.85:1 to be more likely correct for a British film made in 1973, but I haven't watched the feature through yet.

By the way, last weekend at Frightfest I saw the restoration of the 1981 documentary THE KILLING OF AMERICA, from 1981. Aspect ratio 1.37:1 as you would expect from a documentary largely made up from archive/news footage. Thanked in the credits is one Rob Furmanek. Is that you, Bob?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Have any titles with Perspecta sound been released on Blu-ray in 3.0? The Hidden Fortress is a 5.1 of the 3.0.

The Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, and Sanjuro all have the option of either mono or 3.0 Perspecta.

Here's the text from their transfer notes for The Hidden Fortress:
"The alternate 3.0 surround soundtrack was decoded through a Perspecta integrator to a create a simulated stereo stereo LCR soundtrack. Though only three channels of audio are present, the Perspecta soundtrack was encoded as 5.1 on the disc to maintain compatibility with legacy players."

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Strangely Criterion left off the 3.0 from The Bad Sleep Well. Hopefully they'll include it on the eventual blu-ray.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
UI had been the prime advocate of 2.1 in the widescreen derby of 1953. They first rolled film for that ratio on June 3, 1953 with production of BORDER RIVER.

However, by 1960, there was only one feature on their release schedule composed for 2.1: PORTRAIT IN BLACK. All other non-anamorphic titles were 1.85:1, including BRIDES OF DRACULA and its co-feature, THE LEECH WOMAN.

View attachment 2854
View attachment 2855

View attachment 2856
View attachment 2857

Oh dear; early word is that Universal have continued with 2.1 for 'Brides' in their new 8-film Hammer BD set, as is Curse of The Werewolf, and, from what I can glean, perhaps two others. Depressing.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Bob,
Given this thread is at 318 pages and counting, I didn't exhaustively search for the answer to this question, but can you tell us if you have any documentation on the Charlie Brown feature releases? CBS Video is releasing them in what appears to be an open matte format on BD.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Bob,
Given this thread is at 318 pages and counting, I didn't exhaustively search for the answer to this question, but can you tell us if you have any documentation on the Charlie Brown feature releases? CBS Video is releasing them in what appears to be an open matte format on BD.
They should be at 1.75:1 right?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sorry, I don't have any documentation on the Snoopy titles.
That's too bad Bob, especially as there seems to be so much debate regarding both A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN and SNOOPY COME HOME!

From what has been posted on the "A Boy Named Charlie Brown" Topic, both Peanuts Theatrical Features were shot with Widescreen and 4:3 TV aspect in mind.

Another source of debate is that when these Animated Features originally ran in Cinemas, the widescreen was apparently static, which was problematic, in terms of what was cut off. The early '00s DVD release, by contrast, employed frame shifting (non-static), and the AR at 1.78:1, was also slightly off from the Theatrically presented 1.85:1, but was arguably better in retaining the important action.

I would love to see actual documentation for these Features that support or refute the above, if they exist!

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks