What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Would this also be printed for carbon arc, given the vintage?
The only viable means of projection, but one must consider the extant examples understand both that, as well as off-color screens.

These examples serve as excellent benchmarks.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
With Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, it's not so much the vividness of the colors as it is the breadth of them. The colors may be less bold than on some later efforts, but there's a wide variety of subtle shades on display. Wide Color Gamut is still a factor here, not so much for the extreme ends of the spectrum, but for the number of layers in between. There are a lot of flaws in the animation itself, but the ink & paint job is one of the best that Disney ever put to cels. Even colors that look very similar are still subtly different, and they're less well distinguished in SDR.

This is a stunningly beautiful disc. Any preconceptions about Technicolor or Disney animation in general need to be thrown out the window in favor of drinking in the quality of the work that was done. Watch it on the largest screen possible, and feel free to get your nose right up to that screen to check everything out, too. It's worth it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, you’re welcome!

Robert, I wasn’t aware or even thinking of other Disney Steelbook 4K UHD titles on sale for $9.99. I was mainly thinking of the legacy classics titles. So I took a look and this is what I found:

Snow White
Cinderella
Beauty and the Beast
The Lion King
Moana
The Little Mermaid
Aladdin
Toy Story
Coco
Encanto

I had already picked up Snow White and Cinderella on release day. I must confess I have never owned or seen the contemporary Disney animated titles on the list above, with the exception of Toy Story. I didn’t expect to see that title as an exclusive Best Buy steelbook and I did not see the sequels available as UHD Steelbook exclusives. Seems odd they didn’t include those too.

Pardon this post digressing from the main thread topic.

Reactions: PMF

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
If you can find copies the original Star Wars Trilogy, individually sold, and Nightmare Before Christmas 4K steel book Disney 100th Anniversary editions are also $9.99 each. I found a copy of Nightmare Before Christmas locally even though the website said no copies available within 250 miles of my location. So you never know what you will find when you visit in person.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hey guys, you’re welcome!

Robert, I wasn’t aware or even thinking of other Disney Steelbook 4K UHD titles on sale for $9.99. I was mainly thinking of the legacy classics titles. So I took a look and this is what I found:

Snow White
Cinderella
Beauty and the Beast
The Lion King
Moana
The Little Mermaid
Aladdin
Toy Story
Coco
Encanto

I had already picked up Snow White and Cinderella on release day. I must confess I have never owned or seen the contemporary Disney animated titles on the list above, with the exception of Toy Story. I didn’t expect to see that title as an exclusive Best Buy steelbook and I did not see the sequels available as UHD Steelbook exclusives. Seems odd they didn’t include those too.

Pardon this post digressing from the main thread topic.
This post makes me feel positively ancient, that Disney legacy classic titles include Moana, Coco and Encanto.

To me a Corvette C2 is legacy/classic.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
This post makes me feel positively ancient, that Disney legacy classic titles include Moana, Coco and Encanto.

To me a Corvette C2 is legacy/classic.
Disney themselves obviously do not know the meaning of "legacy" or "classic" - I mean, come on: in their Disney Legacy Animated Film Collection, they've included this year's Elemental. 2023. Neither "legacy" nor "classic"!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s just their standardized branding - any animated film the main branch of the studio produces for theatrical distribution is part of the “Disney Classic” line that goes back to Snow White.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
It’s just their standardized branding - any animated film the main branch of the studio produces for theatrical distribution is part of the “Disney Classic” line that goes back to Snow White.
Same thing with their Marvel releases, all of which are branded as a "Cinematic Universe Edition," Like there's a non-Cinematic Universe Edition, but they all get that branding regardless.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yup, that is Disney’s branding for Marvel 4K UHD combo packs - the non-Cinematic Universe Edition would be the standard BD and DVD editions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks