What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Clue -- in 4k UHD (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
By now, most people understand that films based upon video and board games, comic books, and toys don't really work as films.

Even though it appears to currently heading toward a re-make or re-imagining by Fox/Disney, the original 1985 film is an interesting idea that didn't really seem to pan out, even with the ingenious concept of having three different endings running in different theaters. I don't believe it ever became a "collect the whole set" situation.

Fortunately, Shout Select is giving you all three endings, either by chance or via selection, and that gives the new 4k release a leg up.

As far as the look and textures of the 4k UHD presentation, they're lovely. I wish all films looked this good in 4k, as it has a very film-centric feel.

For those who have never seen the film, I'd suggest a rental, or streaming. I'm not certain that most people will want this sitting on their shelf for future generations.

As far as other films based upon toy and games, I believe facts and figures will prove me correct.

Clue - and I've never quite understood why, now has a cult following.

Image – 10 (HDR)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Worth your attention - 2

Slipcover rating - 2

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Still haven't watched it, but I think I just picked up this blu-ray from a recent sale. But I don't need a 4K.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Clue has always been one of my favorite films. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I’ve always enjoyed it. My 4k release arrived yesterday and I’m hoping to get a chance to watch it next weekend.
I always thought of it as a companion piece to Murder, By Death, really plays well as a double feature, although it doesn't have the wit of a Neil Simon script, what it does have going for it is a talented group of Comedians that appear to be having fun, with tongue firmly planted in cheek, with the material. And sometimes.... that's enough.

Nice to hear the presentation looks so good

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I always thought of it as a companion piece to Murder, By Death, really plays well as a double feature, although it doesn't have the wit of a Neil Simon script, what it does have going for it is a talented group of Comedians that appear to be having fun, with tongue firmly planted in cheek, with the material. And sometimes.... that's enough.

Murder, By Death is a fantastic film!

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Love this movie. When I saw it in theaters a couple of times I kept getting ending C!
I had a similar experience using the random ending selector on the DVD: I tried it twice, and both times it played the same ending. Finally, I just said "screw it" and have stuck with the all-three-endings ending ever since.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Fun movie and I love the atmosphere that captures the imagination of the game. Great cast too. My copy arrived, but will not get a chance to watch it for a bit, but glad it's a great disc.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I think this is easily one of the best comedy films of all time. Definitely getting this 4K disc soon. I’ve only ever watched it with all 3 endings in a row. I can’t imagine watching it with only one of the endings. The final ending IMO is the REAL ending, but it’s so fun watching a couple of “alternates” before hand, and adds to the delightful absurdity of this film. I didn’t know it had three ending when I first saw it, so the whole concept was a total surprise that I think 100% works. I don’t think the theatrical release gimmick of having only one of the three endings randomly playing from screen-to-screen was a good idea.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hasbro has been trying to make a new Clue film for over 10 years now. They just hired a new screenwriter last year, then likely got derailed again by the writers strike. Gore Verbinski, Ryan Reynolds, and Jason Bateman have all been attached at various times, but I don't think any of them are still attached.

With modern digital distribution they could probably shoot multiple endings that could change with each showing, not just at different theaters.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Love this movie. When I saw it in theaters a couple of times I kept getting ending C!
Love this movie! I feel like I was one of the 5 people who actually saw it multiple times in the theater hoping to catch a different ending (only saw "B" and "C"). I still have one of my movie tickets from it.
I remember when the film was released in theaters, the newspaper ads for the various theaters would list which ending they were showing (A, B or C) which was helpful for anyone wanting to see all three. I didn't see it until it came out on VHS, which showed all three endings consecutively.

Murder, By Death is a fantastic film!
I always think of Clue as an inferior version of Murder By Death. Clue also has a great cast, but it's a mess of a movie. Murder By Death is brilliant, and I'm very disappointed the blu-ray release didn't restore the 4 scenes that were only shown in TV airings.

Last edited:

Bobster

Grip
Real Name
Robert
Love this movie! I feel like I was one of the 5 people who actually saw it multiple times in the theater hoping to catch a different ending (only saw "B" and "C"). I still have one of my movie tickets from it.
There was an NYC triplex in Times Square that was playing each ending in a different space. I went the first day and bought a ticket to each so I could see the film 3 times in a row with all 3 endings.

I love love LOVE it! "Do you like Kipling?" "Sure, I'll eat anything."

BUT
WORD TO THE WISE on this release: I have learned to check the sets and make sure it's all good.
The first set was fine but the 2nd set had 2 4K discs instead of a 4K and Blu.

I contacted Shout and got as a response:
"It appears that a handful of copies of this set were manufactured with duplicate discs. We have ordered the missing disc and will ship a replacement to you as soon as it is delivered to our office. (Please note that we are closed from December 22 to January 1 and may have to ship this the first week of January, depending on when this is delivered to the office.) Apologies for the inconvenience and we are working to correct as quickly as possible."

Good thing I checked so that I'm giving a correct set as a present!

Now I'm just waiting and waiting to get the other disc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks