What's new

Are these better than your average HTIB speakers? (1 Viewer)

Derek H

Agent
I currently got some speakers from a relative (about 5 years old) They are probably not that great but do you guys think they are better than your average HTIB speakers. Here are the numbers on them (copied off the back of the speakers):

JVC SP-37 Towers speakers:
Woofer: 12" Polypropylene
Midrange: 5" fibre (ferrofluid-cooled)
tweeter: .75" dome (ferrofluid-cooled)
System design: Bass reflex
Power handling: 10-120 Watts RMS
Frequency Response: 38-20,000 Hz
Crossover frequency: 1.1 KHz and 5 KHz
Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
Circuit Protection: automatic circuit breaker
Made in: CANADA

JVC SP-CTR/II Center speaker:
Woofers: 2 x 4 1/2" Poly, Shielded
Tweeter: .75" Ferrofluid dome
Power handling: up to 75 Watts
Frequency response: 55-20,000Hz
Circuit Protection: automatic circuit breaker

JVC SP-RCH/II Rear speakers
Woofer: 4.5" Full Range Driver
Power Handling 5 - 30 Watts
Frequency response: 90-10,000Hz
Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms

Your Expert opinion is greatly appreciated!! BTW the speaker boxes are wood not plastic, if that means anything??

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Not bad compared to the small sats on most HTiB, true. I would still like to see a graph response on those JVC before undoubtedly saying that they are definitely "better".

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
It appears that those were designed for a pro-logic system. The rears are very limited in both power handling and frequency response. IMHO, a good HTIB would be a noticeable improvement.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
It worries me that a 12" driver can only go down to 38hz. Its not a big deal. But my 5 1/4's almost go down that low.

I still think they are worth a shot. They were free right? I have some sony tower speakers. But I have to put new crossovers in them to make them work so I may not use them.

Derek H

Agent
Thanks for the help!!! I am leaning towards a HTIB by Yamaha YHT-100 5.1 system. Yeah, Yeah, I know the whole thing about HTIB, but this is my first system for my apartment. I was planning to get a Yamaha HTR-5640 and use the JVC's with NO sub....or should I get the Yamaha YHT-100 which comes with a HTR-5630 (which is a model down from the HTR-5640) and use the speakers and sub that come with the HTIB (some stats: yamaha.ca/av/PDFs/Speakers/NSP100_brochure.pdf )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks