What's new

Any More Love Boat? (1 Viewer)

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
I never thought of that, but you’re right. The comedy stories in the earlier episodes are more adult, and the ones from later in the series are sweeter and more family friendly (to the detriment of the show).

And yes on more Fantasy Island - like Love Boat, the earlier years are better.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I never thought of that, but you’re right. The comedy stories in the earlier episodes are more adult, and the ones from later in the series are sweeter and more family friendly (to the detriment of the show).

And yes on more Fantasy Island - like Love Boat, the earlier years are better.
Both preceded by Buck and Roy on Saturday nights pickin' and grinnin' at 6pm by the local ABC affiliate.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
It's truly amazing at how many future big names we see on the show. For example, a very young Kathy Bates shows up as a honeymooning bride opposite John Rubenstein in the first season. Later on, Tom Hanks will show up. On the other hand, veteran Oscar winners like Luise Rainer, Olivia deHavilland, Jane Wyman, and Ginger Rogers came on board!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I watched a two parter of Love Boat last night, albeit it was a crossover episode with Charlie's Angels kicking off the 4th season of the show. Basically, though, it was just a few cameos by the crew of Love Boat, but it's been a long time since I've watched the show and saw Gavin McLeod as something other than a comedic actor. I never considered myself a huge fan of the show as a kid; I tuned in for Hee Haw at 6pm and sometimes wound up watching Love Boat and Fantasy Island. I might have to give both shows another look as an adult!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Looking at a couple S4 episodes and like with S3, these are *not* remastered episodes like S1 and S2 were. They do look good in general, but clearly whatever remastering was done according to the old syndication bible for later seasons isn't being used for these releases. (an old Paramount tag from the 90s is the giveaway)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And I have to report a music cut episode where in Charo's first of two episodes in S4 they have edited out a song number completely. OTOH, the episode with The Village People has all their performance stuff so they were clearly going pick and choose.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And edits on an episode with the Pointer Sisters. The running time is just 45:28 which is WAY short. The template they are clearly operating under now is picking and choosing which songs they're going to try and clear and forget about the rest.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
And edits on an episode with the Pointer Sisters. The running time is just 45:28 which is WAY short. The template they are clearly operating under now is picking and choosing which songs they're going to try and clear and forget about the rest.
Do you recall what the song was? Sad about the edits but the picture quality is great for the release and the audio is too.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I don't remember the song at all. But the way the edit goes is they do a fade and then we hear the applause of the audience reacting to the finish of the number. Same thing with Charo's deleted song in her first appearance in S4.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Speaking of the Love Boat, I just came back from a cruise aboard a Princess Cruise Ship, and they do show old episodes of The Love Boat on one of their ship's TV channels (along with reruns of Friends, and Black-ish) in your staterooms. They also show a cute little introductory video reuniting the old cast (with the exception of Fred Grandy) that they play over and over on another channel welcoming you aboard the ship, how to use the life jacket preserver, etc. They also sing a re-worded version of The Love Bat theme, too, which was kind of cute at first, but gets kind of tiresome after awhile. LOL

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Something else about Season 4 I have just discovered and which I had no memory of but it explains the reason why the Village People episode is an unusual 90 minute length. It seems that on that particular night, 11/22/80, ABC as a gimmick first aired a half hour episode of "Fantasy Island" with just one storyline. That episode ended with this teaser for "Love Boat."

And then in the 90 minute "Love Boat" one of the storylines involves Loni Anderson playing an actress trying to escape publicity and then ends up disguising herself as her fictional secretary and has a shipboard romance with someone who falls in love with the "secretary" causing complications. In the episode that is released, the romance ends happily but apparently this was an alternate version designed for a "clean" ending for repeats because according to this item, the way the episode first aired, it ends badly and the Love Boat episode ends with a teaser for "Fantasy Island" that Loni is going to go there! And then in the "Fantasy Island" episode Loni appears again as the same character.

http://www.poobala.com/fantasyandlove.html

S4 of "Fantasy Island" is still MIA so whether the half hour stand alone is available or not or would be included in a hypothetical release is hard to say but clearly the original "crossover-lead-in" version of the Love Boat episode is permanently MIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks