What's new

Any More Love Boat? (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Bumping this thread just because it deserves to have a post about the long wait finally being over for S3!

The other half of the battle would be seeing Shout unstall "Fantasy Island" though at least for the time being both shows will be equal for their first three seasons.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Well. Maybe this news of season 3 coming out, will raise the hopes of other classic tv fans?
James

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Not one that I'm personally interested in, but glad for the fans and glad to see CBS bringing another classic release to market.

I think my holy grail will depend on a 3rd party to rescue it (My Three Sons), but it gives me hope that a remastered season 4 release of Petticoat Junction might be in the works. And hopefully something else neat is planned for 2017/2018 like further releases of Gunsmoke, Bonanza, and The Beverly Hillbillies.

And maybe yet another new to DVD release like we were surprised with a few days ago, such as Our Miss Brooks or Ben Casey.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Bumping this thread just because it deserves to have a post about the long wait finally being over for S3!

That's how I felt when Shout! got the rights to the remainder of Hart to Hart and ended the dry spell on that 1979-84 ABC series.

topanga

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felicia

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
I have the individual releases but would definitely buy the full set if they finally decide to release it. Great show. I watched a ton of the episodes in syndication back in the early 80’s. Some on prime time as well.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
CBS Drama have just begun rerunning TLB here in the UK

- just watching first of two episodes now, with a sharp decent picture too !

once upon a time I'd have passed up shows like TLB for police shows, spy shows and TV westerns etc but by today's TV standards it's great relaxing escapist entertainment !!

a regular crew who look like a cruise ship crew - and Jack Jones to sing the title song - all so very 'seventies' and on into the eighties and great for it

no dreaded 'gritty realism' (that isn't) or championing certain deep profound agenda piffle or trying to 're-educate' me to how some idiots think I should be thinking....just pure entertainment to enjoy

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And *finally* S4 in October. I hope though that this time we get the remastered episodes that *do* exist because S3 was used with old transfers.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I know it may be selfish but I only care as long as we get all of Lauren Tewes' episodes out on DVD as the show ended for me after she got fired or resigned from the series.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'd be willing to stretch it to the first "Judy" season because it was when they changed the theme music in the last full season that I bailed out.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
October 2, 2018 is when both Volumes 1 & 2 of Season 4 comes out on DVD...no cover art as of yet.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Finally! While not a "grail" show for me, I'm in for the full run, so I'm glad this is at long last getting un-stalled.

Who would have thought we'd see a new release of both this and Gunsmoke in the same year? Releases for each series are moving at a snail's pace, but at least they're still moving forward. Hopefully it won't be another long wait before we hear news of LB Season 5 (and Gunsmoke Season 14).

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
After focusing on the second syndication package (seasons 6-9) for the last few years, MeTV has gone back to the first season, as mentioned above. I’m surprised at how much fun this show is.

The regular cast really makes this series. You can see why they tinkered with it through the various pilots until they got it right. McLeod, Kopell, Lange, and Grandy are all fine comic actors. And Lauren Tewes is key. She functions well as “one of the boys” and plays off Kopell, Lange, and particularly Grandy very well. At the same time, she brings that much-needed feminine touch to the crew. Her predecessors and successor never quite had that same combination or chemistry with their costars.

I also like how the show mixes location footage for regular cruises with studio shots. In later seasons - particularly the Judy McCoy seasons - the only time we got location shooting was for the special two-hour cruises to international locations. The rest of the episodes are studio bound. But for these episodes, we still get location shooting for some of the regular cruises to Acapulco. It really helps the show and adds to the escapist feel. Some of these early episodes have separate directors for the different stories within the same episode - made it easier to shoot some stories on location and some just in the studio.

They were also careful to have a mix of stories to appeal to everyone - one story would be a straight-out comedy; another would be a romance or romantic comedy; an another would be the “heart” or serious story. Good mix of guest stars too - a combination of Hollywood vets and up and comers.

Spelling gets a lot of crap for his shows, but this one is really well produced, and has a lot of appeal for a broad audience.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It's odd to me that the later seasons become sweeter, and more family friendly(but let's face it even the risky segments of the early seasons seem very tame today, almost charming) .

I really wish we could get some more Fantasy Island to complement this series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks