What's new

Exciting and new Love Boat season 3 release coming from CBS (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I love this news. I will be pre-ordering the minute it is available. I just hope this isn't the only season released, and then another 6, or 7 year wait. If I said it once, I'll say it a thousand times--- Complete series, or Mega sets(3, or 4 seasons per set) are the way to go. The longer the series with average sales on dvd, the bigger the drop off leading to abandonment.

I'm also hoping Shout Factory gives us more Fantasy Island. Another title that has been awfully quiet the past few years. The perfect companion show to TLB

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I'm also hoping Shout Factory gives us more Fantasy Island. Another title that has been awfully quiet the past few years. The perfect companion show to TLB

I'm not the fan of Fantasy Island, but I still agree-- they need to get picked back up on that 1978-84 ABC series. There's four seasons' worth left (1980-84), and its fans are wanting it.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Also, I would love to see the first two pilot TV movies put out as extras: Love Boat, and Love Boat II.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
WOW, this one came out of nowhere?! I wonder what prompted them to suddenly release another season of this seeing as how S2 came out 9 years ago!? Why does CBS love doing these stupid volume releases, this adds to the cost IMO and might be a factor in why only 2 seasons of this show have been released to date?!

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I think this era was right in my wheelhouse -- that young girl who was the captain's daughter, etc.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Arrived today. And I can report that CBS/Paramount is back to their old tricks with music replacement/editing. The second episode which has a scene with a disastrous 50s "sock hop" party eliminates the song "Purple People Eater" that was in the original (and lip-synched by Gopher, Doc and Isaac)

I don't recall music replacement in the first two seasons (even in episodes where there were song performances). My memory's not sharp on all the episodes but this was one I remembered clearly.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
The late 80s Paramount TV logo is tagged at the end of the S3 episodes as well--S1 and S2 had the modern CBS Television Distribution logo. Makes me wonder if they used old off-the-shelf transfers instead of the newer ones noted in the Syndication Bible. The transfers don't look like they were remastered to me, compared to those in S1. Run times seem normal, though--mostly in the 49 minute range.
I do give CBS DVD credit for putting bonus features on S3V2 (the "Home and Family" reunion specials), giving fans a little something extra.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The transfers don't look like they were remastered to me, compared to those in S1. Run times seem normal, though--mostly in the 49 minute range.
I'm thinking the same thing. Doesnt seem as polished as the first two seasons. Happy to have it though.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Later episodes in which singing is essential have not cut those songs so at least we're not looking at Odd Couple level butchery.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I can remember watching TLB and FI back to back with my parents. We all sat around the TV and actually gave it our undivided attention for two hours (imagine that). FI was my favorite of the two. Was it Saturday nights?

And both were Spelling series (Love Boat from Spelling/Cramer, and Fantasy Island from Spelling/Goldberg IAW CPT).

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I can remember watching TLB and FI back to back with my parents. We all sat around the TV and actually gave it our undivided attention for two hours (imagine that). FI was my favorite of the two. Was it Saturday nights?

Did the same as a kid, No smartphones, internet, computers, just us and the TV :) I believe it was Saturday nights. Good times.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well getting further into the season it's clear that they didn't cut any song performances by a cast member/guest star since they were always pretty much story related. The one edit I noticed was an inconsequential case of using an old recording of a song as opposed to a "live" performance so maybe there's a different there.

I still don't get why they didn't use the remastered editions they've clearly made but I wouldn't put it past CBS/Paramount to have forgotten that they did remaster this title years ago!

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
I received my set yesterday. The picture quality is fine. The outside shots aren't as great as the indoor shots. They may or may not be remastered by the quality of video is good. It is miles better than the mess that VEI released of Hotel.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'm hoping CBS comes back next year at least with continuations on Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, Gunsmoke and Bonanza. I also hope they start two new shows that are already re-mastered and ready to go: High Chapperal and Our Miss Brooks.
Their TBH page on Facebook stays quite active, so I'm hoping for Uncle Jed. It just frustrates me to no end that 8 or 9 years have passed and we're only on S4. I don't even care about HD masters at this point; just give me unedited episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks