What's new

Starting on unseen seasons within an all-in-one DVD or Blu (2 Viewers)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
One thing I don't think I've asked here-- if you have separate seasonal releases of a certain series (and you have seen all the episodes from those seasons), and then get the all-in-one of that same series, do you, if there are any unseen seasons within that all-in-one, count the seasons you have seen as having been seen, and start on whichever unseen seasons there are?

What I mean by this is that when I got VEI's all-in-one of Matt Houston, I started on the second season (1983-84), because I had already seen the first one from CBS' failed first-season (1982-83) release (it was failed because CBS didn't put out any more); I am (as I said in my last post) now within striking distance of the summit in 1985 (the 1985 end of the series, that is).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Interesting question. And I have a good example in terms of a response.

I bought each of the first two seasons of Penny Dreadful (the original from the early 'teens, not the City of Angels spin-off from a couple of years ago) as they came out, but never got around to getting the third season. A couple of weeks ago, I happened across a used copy of The Complete Series at Bull Moose, and picked it up. My inclination would be, when I get around to watching it, to just go right to Season 3, since I haven't already seen that. But it's been long enough since I saw the first two seasons, that I'm likely to just go ahead and start at the beginning, to get a refresh of the first two seasons before diving into the third.

Besides, I'd want to skim through the earlier seasons to make sure there are no glitches, so I might as well just watch them straight through from the beginning.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Interesting question. And I have a good example in terms of a response.

I bought each of the first two seasons of Penny Dreadful (the original from the early 'teens, not the City of Angels spin-off from a couple of years ago) as they came out, but never got around to getting the third season. A couple of weeks ago, I happened across a used copy of The Complete Series at Bull Moose, and picked it up. My inclination would be, when I get around to watching it, to just go right to Season 3, since I haven't already seen that. But it's been long enough since I saw the first two seasons, that I'm likely to just go ahead and start at the beginning, to get a refresh of the first two seasons before diving into the third.

Besides, I'd want to skim through the earlier seasons to make sure there are no glitches, so I might as well just watch them straight through from the beginning.

Thanks for that response! Another one on which I have had the "start with unseen seasons" philosophy is Cagney & Lacey; I had seen the first Daly/Gless go of that CBS detective/action series from MGM's failed release of "The True Beginning" (1982-83, a double-sided release); when I got VEI's all-in-one, I went straight to the "Back By Popular Demand" one (7 episodes from 1984); I'm now on the "Even More Success" one (1985-86).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
No. I fully rewatch any already watched seasons as I want to make sure the new discs are trouble free - especially if the original releases are from a different company and the discs are not identical (authoring *and* any printing/images on the labels).

BUT - if it's an exact duplicate of the release(s) I've seen I'll just swap out the discs. For example - CBS issues most, but not all, seasons separately and then later releases a complete series set - or I never purchased all of the individual seasons if all were released. Since I own some of the seasons previously released and the new release discs on those seasons are exact dupes of what's in the original release I'll swap the discs out (because I know they're OK) and pick up where I'd originally left off. Clear as mud, eh...

In spite of that, if it's been a long time (a year or more) since I first saw those previously purchased seasons I'll just start over with S1.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
No. I fully rewatch any already watched seasons as I want to make sure the new discs are trouble free - especially if the original releases are from a different company and the discs are not identical (authoring *and* any printing/images on the labels).

BUT - if it's an exact duplicate of the release(s) I've seen I'll just swap out the discs. For example - CBS issues most, but not all, seasons separately and then later releases a complete series set - or I never purchased all of the individual seasons if all were released. Since I own some of the seasons previously released and the new release discs on those seasons are exact dupes of what's in the original release I'll swap the discs out (because I know they're OK) and pick up where I'd originally left off. Clear as mud, eh...

In spite of that, if it's been a long time (a year or more) since I first saw those previously purchased seasons I'll just start over with S1.

That's a great point-- another reason why I start with unseen seasons is because, if I went back to the start when I got an all-in-one (if I had seen one or more seasons), it might take me longer to complete the series (as far/long as the series goes) than if I picked up at my last point of progress within it (again, my last point of progress in Matt Houston being the end of the first season in 1983).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks