What's new

Amps but no subs? (1 Viewer)

Wayne_D

Agent
4 tempests its is!!! two in each sono tube on either side of my 92" screen? that sound good to anyone?

any predictions on how load and how low 4 of these subs will go with almost 1000watts?

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, subsonic frequencies played at even moderately loud levels can start to make you sick. When I was testing my sub, anything below 23 hz played so I could actually hear it would, after a few seconds, start of affect me.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
2 Maelstroms in a 550L box would go much louder and stay within the excursion limits at Fb, the Tempest in the same box would go lower but would hit excursion well before it gets there. Also the Group delay looks better with 2 Maelstroms vs. 2 Tempest. Port Velocity will be a problem with both however.

Wayne_D

Agent
hey mike do you have msn?

thanks for that info...when you say the tempests would go lower...how much would that be, and would i even be able to tell...

from my impretion of how load these subs will go four 18 versus four15, would not make much difference...

would i be correct in asuming that?

Mike Keith

Second Unit
Wayne:

The Tempest will have audible output to about 15Hz, but IMO anything below 20Hz is all but useless, however at 30Hz which is where a lot of special effect sounds are the Maelstrom will be almost twice as loud and not be at the excursion limits like the Tempest. I'm a fan of the old adage "there is no replacement for displacement" theory, plus I think the Maelstrom is a better-built driver that will handle more power for future amp upgrades. I'm building 2 separate Maelstrom subs in a 245 Net Liter enclosures tuned at 20Hz and I can't imagine needing or having more output, and I can't find a single Movie or Music recording that will go lower than these will reproduce. The amps you have should match up nicely with the Maelstroms or the Tempest, but I don't see any use for good output at 16Hz, so I'd go for the Maelstrom's unless the extra money is a problem.

Wayne_D

Agent
Thank you very much mike, you are giving me the exact info i am looking for!

so two Maelstrom in a 550L tube would be about 6feet tall and 24" diameter....

is that do able? one sub on either side? not much room for ports?

and where you refering to two Maelstrom on one of my amps or one sub on each amp?

Mike Keith

Second Unit
Hardly matters the wiring config concerning the Maelstrom subs the SPL stays up there with 300 Watts or more, so there are many config’s that will work without sacrificing SPL. So in short Yes 1 amp to each pair will work fine.

However you’re going to have to play around with the numbers on the Port Diameter and number of ports to get the Velocity down to around 18m/s @ 20Hz. If I have the time tonight I'll give it a try, just remember to add a few inches to the port length compared to the modeling of the gross volume, as the Net volume is nearly impossible to determine exactly. Nice thing about the Maelstrom's is the far better Group Delay and SPL, plus the driver won't bottom out as easily compared to the Tempest.

Here is a link to a thread that has several pictures of my Maelstrom sub project, if interested.

http://forums14.consumerreview.com/[email protected]

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
hmm... The right decision will mostly depend on what box size you are willing to tolerate, your budget, and also the size of your room to some degree.

CarlDais

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne

you really need to state your goals. Do you want a low-Q, Mid-Q or High-Q sub tuning. Namely what sorta of Freq. Resposne are you in search of. How large of a room and how loud do you want it?
You have two very nice powerful plate amps. I believe they have a subsonic filter incorporated into the design (good thing to have) and a small amount of boost...the Surf Network.

Reading between the lines you want a HT set-up. Size isn't too critical. Build a mid-Q design either with a Tempest, AV-15 from Stryke or a DVC 15 from Parts express. Your vented enclsure will more than likely be tuned to about 20Hz. If size is a factor build a Mid-Q box with passive radiators. EQ the setup do get the final curve you are after.... your Hypex amps will be perfcet for the extra boost applied.

Wayne_D

Agent
like i said before i had for 10" car audio subs. that i was not happy with....

i am 100% home theater.....heavy bass music would only be used to show it off...

size is no issue, but would prefer the lighter sono tube type......unless someone can give me a reason not too?

as for low-Q, mid-Q, high-Q i dont know the difference...nobody has explaned the diff to me yet..

the only way i can use the amps at a 4ohm load is to have one sub on each amp....but every one telles me that is way to much power.....and i like the idea of 4 huge subs anyways...

i am more pron to the tempest or the malestrom.....again unless some one can show me different

Mike Keith

Second Unit
I've done some more modeling and it seems to me that 600L will work better than 550L for the Maelstrom's (2 in each box). If your going to do a Sonotube then you will need a 30" dia minimum to fit the ports since the drivers will be mounted at each end cap, which leaves just enough room for two 6" ports at about 15" long for 20Hz tuning (one in each end next to the driver). This should give you about 119db at 20Hz, which kicks the crap out of just about anything else out there for loudness, and should be fairly low distortion as well. You will need about 4 1/2'of 30" round sonotube for this for each pair of Maelstroms. That’s $900 worth of drivers and about $200 worth of materials if you go easy on the decor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks