What's new

ONKYO Sub Woofer SKW-530 (1 Viewer)

Ronwinger

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron
I am very new to this site and would appreciate some help so please bare with me.

I have a ONKYO 7 Channel Amp, 110 watts per channel @ 8 ohms.
My problem is... my powered sub woofer went bad and I would like to re place it with a smaller sub woofer. The specs for the existing speaker are... Powered Sub "SKW-530" Max Power out 230W (Dynamic Power) with a 10" Speaker. I do not understand RMS and all of the other numbers (per Chanel etc) to make a comparison. I do not necessarly need all of the power the origional SW provided. I would like to replace it with a smaller unit. I am concerned about over powering the replacement speaker. I would like something that will be a suitable match for the system without hurting the receiver/amp. We are in our 70's, therefore, we are looking for just a little base. Hopefully, someone in this forum will be kind enough to steer me in the right direction as to what to stay away from and what may be a good fit. Any information you are willing to provide is very much appreciated. Thanking You in advance. Ron

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you looking for an entirely new sub, or are you wanting to just replace the driver in the current sub? I don’t recommend the latter.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do you have a target budget? Subwoofers are kind of expensive.

Ronwinger

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron
I would like to stay around $100-$150. New or used does not make a difference to me. Only looking for a little base to enhance my listening experience. The original woofer was too powerful. Thank You, again for your input.

Ronwinger

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron
I would like to stay around $100-$150. New or used does not make a difference to me. Only looking for a little base to enhance my listening experience. The original woofer was too powerful. Thank You, again for your input.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The good news is, there's no such thing as a subwoofer being too powerful. That's actually a problem of the system not being calibrated correctly. The most outrageously powerful sub will work great in any system, as long as everything is calibrated properly.

The bad news is, it's going to be tough to get a decent sub in your price range. Possible ones are this Monoprice SW-10 ($115) or this Dayton SUB-1000 ($155)

Ronwinger

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron
Mr John, Your information is very helpful. and gave me something to explore. I believe that I have gotten lucky and found one that will fit the bill from a neighbor. Let me say "Thank You" for taking time out of your day to help me. Have a nece safe weekend. Ron

Ronwinger

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron
Good Morning John, If I may, I have another question. My original speaker that I am looking to replace, has 1 RCA cable (only) going into the back of the woofer.. Am I able to replace the original speaker with a speaker that has 2 RCA (L&R) jacks or should I stick with the original design? If I do have a speaker with L&R jacks do I only use the Right Jack or will I need an adapter? I had a person tell me that as long as the new powered woofer had RCA Jacks, it would replace. There was no converation as to how many rca jacks. THank You in advance for your imput concerning this matter. Ron

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm not John, but I'm sure he'd agree that an active/self-powered subwoofer only needs 1 such cable connection (whether using RCA or some other less common connection type like XLR) since it's just 1 audio channel, not 2 (like stereo, which might be what you're used to seeing/thinking w/ RCA terminated cables for line level signals).

The other speaker wiring thing that might've confused/misled your thinking is that all other most common (passive/non-self-powered) speaker types usually have 2 terminals/connectors (often marked as + and -) that might often also be color coded similarly to the RCA line level connectors, but that's actually a completely different matter for completely different functional reason -- FWIW, the connections hidden inside the active speaker/woofer housing between its built-in amp and the actual driver most likely have that same dual connection (whether permanently soldered or not) just that it's hidden from view.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks