What's new

Amplifier Suggestions for a Canton Plus C passive sub-woofer?? (1 Viewer)

jackomo

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I have just ordered a Yamaha TSR-700 receiver. I am currently using a Canton "Plus C" passive sub-woofer for my HT setup(current receiver Onkyo TX-SR343). Yamaha has advised me I need an amplifier to use my Canton sub-woofer with their receiver. While I love the Canton speakers they are close to 30 years old. Does it make sense to find an amplifier for the sub-woofer or should I replace it with a powered sub-woofer? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
Thank You

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF the subwoofer's 30-yo, probably best off just buying a new one instead... even though the other Canton speakers might still be good enough for now...

Your subwoofer certainly doesn't have to be same brand... unless perhaps the other speakers are mini satellites that are actually too deficient in the upper-bass thru lower-midrange and actually need the subwoofer(s) to handle that region too (and much more closely match the satellites than usual)...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's not actually a subwoofer. It's a bass module, which is not the same thing. Generally it should be wired with the speakers as a single unit, then a real subwoofer added to them. The L&R speaker outputs go from the receiver to the inputs on the bass module, then out to the speakers. Then you also get a powered sub and connect it to the sub output on the receiver. You also still configure the L&R speakers and module as "Small" and run all the low bass to the sub.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF there's enough $$$ in your budget, I'd recommend just upgrading all the speakers... maybe to something like the ELAC Debut 2.0 series, which are currently on promo sale (yet again) and represent great value in budget level, quality speakers, especially at the sale pricing -- and if you buy direct from ELAC, there's probably no sales tax either... and they seem to offer excellent customer service (as that's how I bought my UniFi 2.0 LCRs + Debut 2.0 for surrounds). Keeping it at this value level since you probably weren't looking to spend that much at this point, especially given what you've probably been reasonably satisfied for so long...

And yeah, probably still best to go w/ some other internet brand for the (powered) subwoofer -- maybe SVS, Hsu or Rythmik or the like...

_Man_

jackomo

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Thank You John, I believe you are correct and I will take your advice.
Thanks again

jackomo

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Thank You Man, I am going to take John Rices' advice however, I certainly appreciate your input.
Thanks Again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks