What's new

All Time - Greatest Movie Quotes (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
can't believe no one's mentioned Blade Runner or the Godfathers, but oh well... :)

Unforgiven:
Eastwood: it's a hell of a thing, killin a man. you take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna have.
Kid: yeah, well... he had it comin'.
Eastwood: we all have it comin' kid.

Josh.C

Second Unit
Neil and Eric,

Those movies are definitely deserving, thread is only a page long, so I'm guessing all of the classic quotables should start rolling in. Keep posting away. Here's a classic that has to be mentioned:

-Caddyshack-
Carl Spackler: This crowd has gone deadly silent, a Cinderella story outta nowhere. Former greenskeeper and now about to become the masters champion.
-
Carl Spackler: Wait up, girls; I got a salami I gotta hide still.
-
Lacey Underall: My uncle says you've got a screw loose.
Ty Webb: Your uncle molests collies.

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
This quote is from an obscure movie not many have seen, but it's one of my favorites:

"May the force be with you"

Chris

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Back to the Future:
"Look. There's a rhythmic cerimonial ritual coming up!"
"Yes. Yes. I'm George, George McFly. I'm your density. I mean... your destiny."

That Thing You Do!:
"Table 19, your pizza is ready"
"Oh, I'm not here with these fellas. I've got a pig in competition over at the livestock pavilion, and I am going to win that blue ribbon!"
"You are my biggest fan."
"Oh come on. Oh, there he goes off to his room to write that hit song "Alone in my principles.""

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:
"Are you kidding? I made all that up. You know Marcus. He once got lost in his own museum."
"No ticket."

that's all i could come up with for now, but those are my big fav's, especially the "That Thing You Do!" quotes. I love that movie.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
THE REF

Gus: Sit Down.
Connie: Don't talk to me that way, I am not one of your patients.
Gus: You're gonna be somones fucking patient, if you don't get your ass back in that chair.

Gus: The Army? What am I fucking Oswald here?

Caroline: At least I go after my dreams.
Lloyd: To be what? Someone who takes pictures of lute (sp?) fish, to prove the nothingness of being.

Gus: Your husbands not dead lady, he's hiding.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Most of the script from Princess Bride.

My favorite line from Tombstone is also my favorite scene. Also Doc.

Great line, great delivery, great importance at that point.

John Doran

Screenwriter
Casablanca

Bogart: of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world...

Unforgiven

Litte Bill: Well, sir, you are a cowardly son of a bitch! You just shot an unarmed man!
Munny: He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his saloon with my friend.
---

Munny: I've killed women and children. I've killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you done to Ned.
---

Little Bill: i don't deserve this, to die like this. i was building a house.
Munny: deserve's got nothing to do with it.

Good Will Hunting

Will: Oh, come on! What? Why is it always this? I mean, I fuckin' owe it to myself to do this or that. What if I don't want to?
Chuckie: No. No, no. Fuck you, you don't owe it to yourself man. You owe it to me...
---

Will: He used to just put a belt, a stick, and a wrench on the kitchen table and say, "Choose."
Sean: Well, I gotta go with the belt there.
Will: I used to go with the wrench.
Sean: Why?
Will: 'Cos fuck him.

13th Warrior
Herger the Joyous: When they come, we form a circle in the center of the room, backs to one another.
Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan: I am not a warrior.
Herger the Joyous: Very soon, you will be.

Die Hard
Gruber: Do you really think you have a chance against us, Mister Cowboy?
McClane: yippe ki-yay, mutherfucker.

Man on Fire
Creasy: Do you think God'll forgive us for what we've done?
Rayburn: No.
---

Creasy: Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
---

Creasy: Okay, my friend. It's off to the next life for you. I guarantee you, you won't be lonely.

A Man For All Seasons
Norfolk: Oh confound all this. I'm not a scholar, I don't know whether the marriage was lawful or not but dammit, Thomas, look at these names! Why can't you do as I did and come with us, for fellowship!
St. Thomas More: And when we die, and you are sent to heaven for doing your conscience, and I am sent to hell for not doing mine, will you come with me, for fellowship?
---

St. Thomas More: I do none harm, I say none harm, I think none harm. And if this be not enough to keep a man alive, in good faith I long not to live.

Aliens
Hudson: Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?
Vasquez: No, have you?
---

Hudson: Well that's great, that's just fuckin' great man. Now what the fuck are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty shit now man... That's it man, game over man, game over! What the fuck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?
---

Vasquez: You always were an asshole, Gorman.
---

Ripley: I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Hudson: Fuckin' A...
Burke: Ho-ho-hold on one second. This installation has a substantial dollar value attached to it.
Ripley: They can bill me.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
Ghostbusters:
student: what are you trying to prove here anyway?
venkman: i'm studying the effect of negative reinforcement on esp ability
student: the effect?!?!? i'll tell you the effect. IT'S PISSING ME OFF!!!

Princess Bride:
'hello. my name is inigo montoya. you killed my father. prepare to die'

John Doran

Screenwriter
Three Days of the Condor
Turner: Why?
Joubert: I don't interest myself in "why". I think more often in terms of "when", sometimes "where"; always "how much".
---

Turner: I don't remember yesterday. Today it rained.
---

Kathy: Sometimes I take a picture that isn't like me. But I took it so it is like me. It has to be. I put those pictures away.
Turner: I'd like to see those pictures.
Kathy: We don't know each other that well.
Turner: Do you know anybody that well?
Kathy: I don't think I want to know you very well. I don't think you're going to live much longer.
---

Mr. Wabash: I go even further back than that. Ten years after The Great War, as we used to call it. Before we knew enough to number them.
---

Joubert: Well, the fact is, what I do is not a bad occupation. Someone is always willing to pay.
Turner: I would find it... tiring.
Joubert: Oh, no - it's quite restful. It's almost peaceful. No need to believe in either side, or any side. There is no cause. There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision.
---

Turner: Boy, what is it with you people? You think not getting caught in a lie is the same thing as telling the truth?

The Usual Suspects
McManus: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Oswald was a fag.
---

Verbal: How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?
---

Verbal: Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.

Heat
McCauley: He knew the risks, he didn't have to be there. It rains... you get all wet.
---

Hanna: I say what I mean, and I do what I say.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I have a Man on Fire quote or two as well. I love the delivery in that one.

I could list more, because the combination of the dialogue and Denzel's rich, purposeful voice make so many of them magic. But those'll do.

john listed a bunch I liked. But I expected that he would :)

James@R

Second Unit
My favorite Man On Fire line isn't even delivered by Denzel.

Rayburn: What were you shooting at, Crease?

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
From The Patriot:

Benjamin Martin: "I have long feared that my sins would return to visit me, and the cost would be more than I could bear."

From Oh Brother Where Art Thou: (Which is a treasure trove of quotes)

Ulysses Everett McGill: "Pete, it's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart."

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
All-Time Favorite?

That's easy.

Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown

Sorry, but I've forgotten the name of the film.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Some great quotes for sure. I've got some more to list that haven't been mentioned:

Perhaps the greatest quote ever from a Bond film:
Goldfinger
Bond: "Do you expect me to talk?"
Goldfinger: "No, Mr. Bond...I expect you to DIE!"
GREATNESS...

From Timobi's #1 film of ALL TIME:
The Empire Strikes Back
Leah: "I Love You!"
Han: "I know"
:) True Greatness.

Last one for now...
Animal House
"Face it, You F___ED up...You trusted us"
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!?" :D

Much more to come later...:)

Josh.C

Second Unit
Nice TS quote earlier Chuck. One of the most genuine and sincere scenes of the entire movie, and one of my favorite parts as well.

I just don't feel right having an all time greatest quotes page without the most heavily quoted movie of my college life.

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail-
-
Villager: She turned me into a newt.
Sir Bedevere: A newt?
Villager: [After looking at himself for some time.] I got better.
-
French Soldier: Ah don' wanna talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food-trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
Sir Galahad: Well, is there someone else up there we could talk to?
French Soldier: No! Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
-
Dennis: You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
King Arthur: Shut up!
Dennis: I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

The entire movie is one giant quotable line or phrase.

JC

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
Josh, excellent quotes, but for my money the whole movie is one excellent quote. My fiance and I have entire conversations using nothing but Grail quotes.

Run away
Bring out your dead
Its just a flesh wound
Ie Jesu domine, donna eas requiem. . . WHAP
What manner of man are you that can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Ni!
Message for you, sir

John Doran

Screenwriter
ok, i apologize for the length of this, but i had to post it as one of the greatest, most well-written scenes with of all time:

Arthur: Old woman!

Dennis: Man!

Arthur: Man, sorry... What knight lives in that castle over there?

Dennis: I'm 37!

Arthur: What?

Dennis: I'm 37, I'm not old!

Arthur: Well I can't just call you "Man"...

Dennis: You could say "Dennis"...

Arthur: I didn't know you were called Dennis.

Dennis: Well you didn't bother to find out, did you?

Arthur: I did say sorry about the "old woman", but from behind you looked...

Dennis: (interrupting) What I object to is your automatically treatin' me like an inferior!

Arthur: Well I AM king...

Dennis: Oh, King, eh? Oh, very nice... And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers! By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic an' social differences in our society! If there's ever gonna be any progress in our society...

Woman: Denny, there's some lovely filth down here!
[Noticing Arthur] Oh! How d'you do?

Arthur: How do you do, good lady. I am Arthur, King of the Britons. Whose castle is that?

Woman: King of the who?

Arthur: The Britons.

Woman: Who are the Britons?

Arthur: Well we all are... We are all Britons... And I am your king.

Woman: I didn't know we had a king... I thought we were an autonomous collective.

Dennis: You're foolin' yourself. We're livin' in a dictatorship! A self-perpetuatin' autocracy in which the working classes...

Woman: (interrupting) Oh there you go, bringing class into it again...

Dennis: That's what it's all about! If only people would...

Arthur: Please, please, good people, I am in haste. Who lives in that castle?

Woman: No one lives there.

Arthur: Then who is your lord?

Woman: We don't have a lord.

Arthur: What?

Dennis: I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to sort of act as a sort of executive officer for the week.

Arthur: Yes.

Dennis: But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting...

Arthur: Yes I see.

Dennis: ...by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs...

Arthur: Be quiet!

Dennis: But by a two-thirds majority in the case of more major...

Arthur: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!

Woman: Order, eh? Who does he think he is?

Arthur: I am your king!

Woman: Well I didn't vote for you!

Arthur: You don't vote for kings.

Woman: Well how'd you become king then?

[Angelic music plays...]

Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king!

Dennis: (interrupting) Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcicial aquatic ceremony!

Arthur: Be quiet!

Dennis: Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Arthur: SHUT UP!

Dennis: I mean, if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Arthur: SHUT UP! WILL YOU SHUT UP! [Grabs Dennis]

Dennis: Ah! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!

Arthur: SHUT UP!

Dennis: Oh, come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

Arthur: (muttering) Bloody peasant!

Dennis: Oh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see him repressin' me? You saw it, didn't you?

John Doran

Screenwriter
Your Friends and Neighbours
[during sex]
Terri: is there any chance you could just shut the fuck up?
---

Jerry: [after much prodding by Barry] Ok. The best fuck I ever had. That would be your wife. That was the best fuck I ever had.
Cary: That beats my story.

2001: A Space Odyssey
HAL: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
---

HAL: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

Lone Star
Chucho Montoya: You're the sheriff of Rio County, right? Un jefe mui respectado.
[drawing a line in the sand]
Chucho Montoya: Step across this line. You're not the sheriff of nothing anymore, just some tejano with a lot of questions I don't have to answer. A bird flying south, you think he sees this line? Rattlesnake? Javelina? Whatever you got. You think halfway across that line they start thinking different? Why should a man?
Sheriff Sam Deeds: Your government's always been pretty happy to have that line, the question's just been where to draw it.
Chucho Montoya: My government can go fuck itself, and so can yours! I'm talking about people here. Men.
---

Pilar: All that other stuff, all that history? To hell with it, right? Forget the Alamo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks