What's new

ALIEN QUADRILOGY discussion thread (including all the glitches) (1 Viewer)

GaryEA

Second Unit
This might be a bit OT, but here goes; Does anyone remember a documentary/promo piece narrated by Giger about the designs for the first film? I'm pretty sure it was made around the same time "Alien" was released.

I have it on tape, and it's both informative and wild to watch. Giger narrates with a dry tone (my copy has Japanese subtitles) as he goes through each design (face-hugger, the pilot, etc). It has seventies synth music in the background, which is quite effective.

I was wondering if anyone knows more about it, or if it might be included.

Thanks.

Gary

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh ye of little faith!

Quadrilogy is absolutely correct. Anyone who has said differently in this thread needs to do some more research before claiming superiority.

I refer you to The Oxford English Dictionary...
Funny, it's not in my copy. Perhaps you have a newer edition that I do. :shrug:

The title really doesn't matter, and "quad" = 4, usually. I've just never heard of the word before, but I've heard of "tetralogy" all my life. I guess I had good teachers. :)

Just old dictionaries...

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I'll be interested to know how many of the supplements will be exclusive to the box set. In fact, I wonder if the individual movies will be avilable separately?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I just hope that original theatrical cuts of "Aliens" and "Alien3" are included in addition to the director's cuts. I'm sure that the director's cut of "Aliens" will definitely be included but I'm still doubtful on a director's cut of "Alien3" considering how thoroughly disinterested David Fincher is with the whole movie. From what I understand, he'd rather forget it ever happened.

EDIT about fifth movie: I don't know about an "Alien 5" but for a while last year it was actually looking like "Aliens vs. Predator" was actually becoming a reality. A "director" ("Resident Evil" "director" Paul WS Anderson, who's employment in the film industry is proof that there's no God) was even attached, but nothing seems to be happening as of this moment.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Finally, all 4 films available, in 2-Disc sets(hopefully), with lots of extras not included before on the releases(hopefully). If they alocate the bulk of the extras to the second discs and add commentaries and DTS, this is will defeat all. Perhaps new transfers of all 4 films. They say 2003, this year, but no precise indication of when. I would bet late summer, early fall if it doesnt get delayed. You can always count on FOx to deliver the goods on a franchise. They did great with the Die Hard Trilogy a while back.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
I own the Alien Legacy box set. This new set would really need the theatrical cut of Aliens for me to get the new set and give Legacy to my brother.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Since I didn't buy the last box set I will pick this one up. I din't like A3 in the theater but it has grown on me watching it on cable. I haven't seen Reserection since seeing it in the theater. A Joss Whedon commentary about how Jeunet screwed up his vision would be cool.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Deleted as it's on the first post now (wasn't appearing for me before) :)

I think I'll hang onto my Legacy disc (the bonus disc) until we get a run-down of the features, I am not so sure that great documentary will be included.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious, but can somebody tell me exactly what the deal is with Alien3? I've yet to see it in its entirety, but it seems there's a whole big deal with how it was edited or how Fincher didn't like it or something or other.

Anybody got five minutes to explain all this? I'm so confused. :confused:

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
You can bet on DTS and I'm sure they'll get new transfers since its been hinted that these will be available on D-Theater D-VHS mid-03 too.

I'm hoping for Theatrical on Disc 1 and DC/'Fan cut' on Disc 2, for each film, and extras on Disc 9.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
Could someone explain to me what Joss's position on A:R is? I'm a big "Buffy" and "Angel" fan, but I've never even heard anything about Joss's involvement with A:R other than seeing the writer's credit, much less any disappointment he had with how it turned out. Feel free to PM me the information if it looks like it's going to take things way off topic. :)

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Ya know, originally I wasnt getting this set, but 9 discs...well, kinda hard to pass that up. And probably DTS tracks, since the Die Hard's did. Well, just gotta get it and a possible Alt. Cut of Alien3 is just icing!

I really love this series and I am an Alien whore, so Im gettin it. And someone said above what Alien3 would have been had Cameron made it, they said "All out war on earth!" Wow! My imagination is running wild right now. :)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I would wager that we'll loose the "Original Film Score" and "alternate audio and production sound" track from ALIEN. They'll dump one or both in favor of DTS, methinks. Thats fine by me, but a good reason to hang on to the current release. Also, is anything confirmed for content on the new release? I dont want to fuel the rumor mill, but I thought there were rights issues regarding the "Alien Legacy" Documentary, preventing it from showing up ona new release.

Can us poor Yanks get this in the states?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Has there been any sort of suggestion from Fox that a director's cut of Alien 3 might be included because I just thought this was another rumour brought about by wishful thinking from fans of the film (though I would love to see a DC myself)
It's definitely "wishful thinking", although that doesn't necessarily mean it *won't* happen. As far as I know, the only facts that are known about this set is what's stated in that insert and Peter Staddon's claim that 2003 will be a big year for the Alien series. Anything else you read is just speculation.

Seth_S

Second Unit
On Alien 3:

I wouldn't get too excited about any kind of new cut. From what I've read, the film went to hell during production (such as script changes and metaling from FOX), not in the editing room. So it isn't like there are hours off footage laying around in a film canister that contain Fincher's true vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks