What's new

ALIEN QUADRILOGY discussion thread (including all the glitches) (1 Viewer)

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
The imdb has a good list of the delted scenes some of which have been confirmed to have been shot: http://us.imdb.com/AlternateVersions?0103644

Hopefully these make it to the new disc even if they're not edited back into the movie. As for this set I've alway's had a feeling that a new set would be released so I held off. It appears my pain will have been well worth the wait.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I bought the R1 Legacy box set fairly early on, only then to find out I'd been screwed over for the bonus disc since it only applies to US residents (so what's new?)

even if I had the disc, a 9-disc new boxset with still more new extras would have me drooling...

yes, I'm a fan, yes, I'm an extras junkie. and a Fincher cut of 3 would be gravy, but even if it's not truely Fincher-approved, some restoration of what he wanted in would certainly help.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
After reading this cool announcement, I'm glad I haven't plopped down the ol' moolah $$ for the first Alien box set Fox released previously :) I definately would be kicking myself, but then again, how in the world would you have ever known that Fox would again release an even better Box set like this ?!!! .hmmmmm :frowning:

Well, I sure hope fox will include DTS tracks on all four films!! Should sound outstanding!!! :D :emoji_thumbsup: :star:

Fox, you have my cash "this" time!

Later!

Troy

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I think Fox could do a new decent Alien 3 cut. A workprint exists, at least I see it on ebay occasionally. They could use that as a guide.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Originally posted by JeremySt:
I would wager that we'll loose the "Original Film Score" and "alternate audio and production sound" track from ALIEN.
If that's the case, then this set cannot be called the "Ultimate" edition, as there would be existing material not on the set.

Neil

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I must say I'm excited with the idea of a 9-disc Alien boxset. I'll wait until I hear the complete specs before I make my decision. If they are the same cuts of each film as the current set, I make skip it.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
The Mummy Ultimate Edition lost the isolated score that was on the original release too. Ultimate doesn't mean that everything ever made about the film has to be on the disc.

MarkBurton

Second Unit
I know I'm in the minority here, but I just loved Alien 3. The whole funeral prayer while the Alien is being born is just great. I'm all over a director's cut, if one exists. I would even settle for just the deleted scenes as a seperate bonus feature. David Fincher is the main reason I went to see Fight Club when it came out.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
This is something that I would like...but I'll be holding off,like others, until I see what they do offer new.

New transfers, commentaries, & something different with Alien 3 would be a start. Price is an issue as well - I'm very happy with my 5-disc Legacy box set.

We shall see....

Calvin

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Figures, I already own the first 3 :frowning:

I hope that FOX will offer each title on their own because DAMN I cannot afford a 9 disc set!

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I imagine the price of this box set will be based on the number of movies (4) rather than the number of discs (9). Past Fox releases like the "Ultimate Die Hard Collection" support this pricing method. I see a price comparable to any other 4 disc set, or possibly comparable to another 5 disc depending on whether or not the 9th disc is a feature-length doc or just a compilation of extras. Fox has never been too bad about having higher-priced multi-disc sets.

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
Agree with you there Bill. My guess is about $120-140 for the four movies + bonus disc. And I think it's quite safe to say each movie will probably be released individually as 2-disc sets (a la the Die Hard trilogy)...

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Fox has an excellent opportunity to correct past misdeeds with this box set. I’ve always been somewhat of a fan of Alien^3, having seen the series in reverse order (through coincidental circumstance) back in 1995. That being so, I never felt immensely disappointed that it wasn’t Aliens 2.

However the fact was, I always felt that A3 was somehow missing something in terms of its running time…several years later I confirmed this on the IMDB when I noticed how much footage had been cut--indeed footage that would have given the film a much more complex story arc.

Doing further research, I discovered how the studio had systematically alienated estranged David Fincher, and in fact I could have sworn I read that he’d attempted to save the deleted footage for a laserdisc release but was told coldly by Fox that there was no need. (Anybody able to back me up on this?) Either way, this film badly needs an extended cut.

And frankly, what else now could fill a second disc for Alien^3? I mean, the previous DVD had dredged up only a pathetic amount of EPK garbage as its ‘special features’ unless (horrible thought) it turns out to be 3 discs for Alien, 3 discs for Aliens, a bonus disc, and both A3 and AR get shafted...again.

On the other hand, Aliens definitely needs the theatrical version on one of its discs. [rant]Cameron’s directors cut is a largely superfluous undertaking. Scenes on the colony added near the beginning of the film, ruin any sort of tension from the initial marine recon. And who can’t help rolling their eyes when Ripley and Hicks halt everything to exchange names before she charges into the hive? The problem is, Cameron is such a fantastic editor that nothing needs to be added, all you need to know existed in the theatrical cut.[/rant]

(p.s. I wonder how they’re going to top the incredible menus that the previous Aliens DVD had?)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Could someone explain to me what Joss's position on A:R is? I'm a big "Buffy" and "Angel" fan, but I've never even heard anything about Joss's involvement with A:R other than seeing the writer's credit, much less any disappointment he had with how it turned out. Feel free to PM me the information if it looks like it's going to take things way off topic.
He wrote it. Then they completely screwed it up.

Scott W.

Second Unit
Perhaps on the 2-disk edition of Aliens or the bonus disk, the Carter Burke cocoon scene will finally be available for our watching pleasure. :):)

Scott

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
This is very tempting. I can imagine the asking price is going to be on the steep side, but if the extras are worth it, I'll buy. But, losing the original film score would be a big hurdle. I just hope that doesn't come to reality.

Bruce

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Doing further research, I discovered how the studio had systematically alienated estranged David Fincher, and in fact I could have sworn I read that he’d attempted to save the deleted footage for a laserdisc release but was told coldly by Fox that there was no need. (Anybody able to back me up on this?) Either way, this film badly needs an extended cut.
I can back you up on that, it was a digital bits interview Here's what he said...
I have no plans to revisit Alien 3. There was a kind of famous encounter about that, when footage was cut and I remember saying, "Can we possibly save this stuff for the laserdisc?" And I was told by someone with great relish, "There are no plans ever to do that." You know... it was flawed from its inception and it was certainly flawed - actually pretty fucked up - well before we started shooting. So there you go.

God I really hope he's changed his mind about revisiting Alien 3, a Fincher cut is an absolute must.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Agree with you there Bill. My guess is about $120-140 for the four movies + bonus disc.
Whoa whoa, you don't really agree if you're thinking about that price. That's like one of the highest boxset retail prices ever, set for X-Files and Star Trek releases.
You're thinking paramount $35 retail prices there. Fox's Dark Angel, Buffy, Angel, 24, The Shield boxsets with 6 discs can be had for $40 to 55 dollars. I'd say it'll be $95-99 retail, available for about $60 from Amazon.ca. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks