What's new

ALIEN QUADRILOGY discussion thread (including all the glitches) (1 Viewer)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
RE:the Alien Legacy's initial dvd release. The way I see it, Fox did their damndest to make available all the material that they had at the time, even if it meant a virtual re-package of the Alien & Aliens CAV laserdisc box sets. The public were clamouring for the dvds, and to be honest I'm just happy they were anamorphic (coming from Fox at that time, this was a minor miracle) so the extras that did appear were an added bonus. And getting extras for the last two movies would've proved very difficult considering the troubles that occurred on both Alien3 and Alien:Resurrection, with the former proving particularly troublesome for all involved.

But now, it seems as if things have settled and Fox will hopefully push ahead with a new cut of Alien3, meaning that Alien3 fans (there aren't many of us!) will get to see a dvd of this fine movie that we've always dreamed about. Hopefully we'll get some seamless branching to contain both versions of Alien3 and Aliens on single discs, as well as dts tracks all round. I think brand new cast commentaries would go down a treat - imagine Weaver doing one for all four movies! Most of the cast members from all the movies are still around, so commentaries (as well as new retrospective documentaries) shouldn't be a problem, as far as scheduling conflicts allow.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS SET!!!! :D

Edit: Just read PhilipG's post and I have to wonder why people still see Aliens as such a trial for seamless branching. Yes, I know the SE was put together on video, but who's to say that Fox (or folks at Lightstorm) haven't created new positive elements of the SE footage? In fact, the dvd version is slightly different from the existing SE anyway, as a continuity error present in the theatrical version was corrected for the SE. But this error re-appears on the dvd version of the SE, leading me to believe that instead of using the horrible video version of the SE, Fox used film elements of the theatrical version which flawlessly blend with the 'only on video' SE footage.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
There was a new 2+ hour documentary on all of the films on Bravo a month or so back. I will almost guarantee that they will slap that onto one of the bonus discs.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Here's me hoping that the theatrical cut of Aliens is included in this box set. I seem to be in the minority, but I think Cameron really screwed up the pacing of the film by adding back so much needless, in my opinion, footage with uneven acting to boot.

P and SO

Agent
Real Name
Truls
I have never been so pleased with myself for holding off a previous release. :)

Somehow I knew, just knew this would happen.

Besides, what's the use of buying the original set when I can borrow it from my next-door neighbour :D

A "Director's" cut of Alien3 would be most welcome, although I like the movie as it is. Maybe I just carry a soft spot for tragic sacrifices like Ripley's.

Maybe the ninth disc will make Alien a three disc set?
Or perhaps they're putting the TE and SE of Aliens on seperate discs in addition to a third?

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I'm gonna wait and see what the new features are. I'm really not interested in owning 3 & 4, but if there's some worthwhile extra material, I might bite.

Alistair_M

Second Unit
On British tv a few months ago there was a long documentary on the Aliens films - all of the films. It looked like a very recently made documentary but I must say I thought the documentary was nothing special and I expect it may well be the 9th disk. I won't be getting the whole lot - I expect they will release Alien and Aliens separately at some point as 2 disk SEs - that will do me. The other Alien films were not in the same class as the first two imo.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I bet it will be 2 discs per movie, with the 9th disc being the Bravo show;)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The show was on AMC, not Bravo.

Everything from the prior LD's and DVD's of Alien and Aliens must be included to make this the "Ultimate" set. That includes The Alien Legacy documentary.

Neil

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I second what Paul said: I want both cuts of Aliens. Throw in a different cut of Alien 3 and I'll pick the set up.

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator
Thought that I read something about the company that produced the Legacy doc will not let fox use it for some reason. Anyone know more about that?

DannyS

Second Unit
I am buying this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The British Documentary hosted by Mark Kermode and featuring LOADS of people was unmissable. It dealt with The original MONK ALien 3 and interviewed the proposed director, and Charles Dance stated that what they did to ALien 3 was terrible. Poor old Paul Macgann. I hope he gets re-instated.

I have the R1 box set wit mail away disc, the R2 box set, and now I will have this.... I think I must love the series

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Oh ye of little faith!

Quadrilogy is absolutely correct. Anyone who has said differently in this thread needs to do some more research before claiming superiority.

I refer you to The Oxford English Dictionary ("Shorter" version, if you want to be pedantic).

quadri- Having four, fourfold.

(and later in the same paragraph)

qua'drilogy n. a tetralogy.

(I suspect that the apostrophe there is just the OED's guide to the pronunciation)

Gruson

Second Unit
I want both cuts too. I would prefer the theatrical cut though.

Alien and Aliens OWN.

I wish they stopped at Aliens, as Alien3 and Alien4 were horrible.

Will this include the ORIGINAL Alien3 teaser? The Earth teaser?

Once can imagine what could have been...Alien3, directed by Cameron. All out war on Earth.

Oh well.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I've always been a fan of the entire series, to include both the third and fourth installments. For once a series had the bravery to strike out in new directions with each film by selecting a different feel, focus, and director.

I am beyond curious about how Alien3 might have turned out, so if that is included I'll be in heaven.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I thought there was talk from R. Scott of extending ALIEN with the deleted scenes-some we know about-some not. If true, cool.
(ive always considered #1 to be the true classic, and the rest just franchi$e imposters):D
However! a DC of ALIEN3 could be interesting...
I guess ive kinda outgrown ALIENS, so that will not tempt me.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know what the going rate is for a boxset with the 5th disc? I haven't watched these since I got the box way back when, and don't really see myself watching them again anytime soon.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
The R2 version did have the R1 mail order disc included in the set already, though I think this was a limited run, and it is not included anymore.

Has there been any sort of suggestion from Fox that a director's cut of Alien 3 might be included because I just thought this was another rumour brought about by wishful thinking from fans of the film (though I would love to see a DC myself)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I hope that I will be able to purchase the first two films stand-alone. I really don't want the third and fourth films, no matter how much they re-cut them.

And I second the hope that Aliens has both the theatrical and director's cut. Perhaps they could do the same for the first film (isn't there an unrated cut by Scott out there in other regions?)

Anyway, getting both cuts of Aliens was my reason for holding off on the original release, so I hope they don't force buying the whole series, which I don't want, on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks