What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part III (1 Viewer)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to page 23!
Rob Gardiner
Tony,
Have you seen this deal at Amazon? All 6 discs less than $100.
Description for your dad: The setting is futuristic sci-fi but the characters and plots are all taken from detective movies, gangster films, and westerns. The soundtrack is a mix of jazz, blues, ska, a little opera, and a little heavy metal where appropriate
Guess what? That is what I am trying to get him to buy!!! He still thinks that it is a lot of money. However, I don't know if you saw this or not, but take a look at this post and notice that I can get $10 off of it. So with the $10 off, it winds up being about $15 per DVD, opposed to $23 if I bought them individually at Best Buy. My dad realizes this, but he wants to know why "I need all of them". :rolleyes
I am fairly sure that my dad would like this series, since he likes those types of movies you mentioned. I hope to have this thing bought very soon. I hope by the end of the weekend. Wish me luck!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
tony - at the very least tape a few episodes off of tcn and show your dad those. at least that way he'll get a good vibe for what the show is about.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Ted, good idea. However, if he does not like it, chances are that he may not help me out. I think I might have to tape some episodes.

By the way, concerning the proposed novice anime discussion thread, I was thinking that we should create an official HTF anime FAQ. I have some of the items written out. I think it would be very helpful and informative to newcomers. However, I would need help and suggestions from all of you guys. I could host it on my webspace. What do you think?

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm...seems like the Novice Anime discussion thread has taken some of the air out of this one...

John.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
It'll be interesting to see what happens to the new thread.
Hmm... no new releases for me this week. Ugh, March is going to be a KILLER though (RahXephon + box + shirt, Chobits + box + stationary kit, X:FOUR, GTO 7, and one other thing I cant remember) :D
I am really mad right now, FYE cancelled my Fruits Basket 2 that I got in the 20% off sale. Hmm, might just wait for the box for the rest of the episodes... @ $25+ per disc, I would rather just buy the rest in 1 shot and save some money (plus get a box ;) ).
Say, anyone else going to Mega-Con in Orlando, Florida this weekend? Biggest anime/comic convention in Florida (Lurkers? You know who you are :D )... I'd love to see some of ya there. I will be there late Friday, most of Saturday and Sunday.
Of course, it's all small potatoes compared to what Otakon 2003 is going to be ;)

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Rob Lutter:
I myself am eagerly awaiting FLCL: Volume 2 to arrive in the mail next week. All the reviews I've read, professional or otherwise have deemed it superior in both content and presentation.
I'd love to get my hands on Fruits Basket but at it's current price point, I'll be waiting for a cheaper box set to come around thankyouverymuch. Ditto for Crest of the Stars
I'm very much looking forward to Ninja Scroll: Tenth Anniversary Edition which will be coming out later this year...promises to have some nice stuff on it.
Have fun at your Convention

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Brendan, I am also going to pick up Furi Kuri (Fooly Cooly, FLCL... whatever they are calling it this week :) )... but I am going to wait for a boxset (too many titles right now... 2 of which are already GAINAX).

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Yeah, I noticed how much the Novice thread has taken off. *heh*
It least helps to keep the redundancy from this thread, but it does slow this thread down a lot.
Anyway, watched up to episode #20 for Naruto this weekend. Fun fun series. :) And it looks like we also begin a new arc for the series starting at #20.
Anyone watching Princess Tutu (from the creators of "Magic Users Club" aka "mahoutsukaitai")? Our club just watched the first episode. We don't know what to make of it. I like it but I have to watch more. It's pretty addictive.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Well, you could think about it this way... if more people get into anime because of the Novice thread, than in a couple years this thread is going to be ROCKIN'!
Say, Kong, did Jeff talk you into coming to Otakon yet? ;)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Brendan:
Any news on whether the Ninja Scroll 10th anniversary edition will be full-screen or wide-screen?
Rob:
March has got me for GTO volume 7, Betterman volume 5, and Genesis Climber Mospaeda at the very least. I'll probably end up getting Dai-Guard vols. 3 & 4 too.
John.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Rob:
Nope, because he wouldn't tell me who the musical guest of honor will be, not until at least mid-March. So, until then, I'm just staying over here in California. If the music guest is good, I *might* just attend.
JohnAD:
Dai-Guard, are you liking this series? Ditto with Betterman?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Jeff keeps telling me something like "Kong IS coming once he hears about the musical guest"... so I guess it's gonna be good :)
If you need someone to split the room with after Jeff's secret is revealed, I still don't have anyone staying with me (I got a double at the Holiday Inn across the street). ;)

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
JohnAD:
It's currently being discussed on the R1 board of the www.animeondvd.com forums. Manga's CEO Keith Burgess is posting about it. I get the impression that 4:3 IS the OAR of the film, and that in order to get an anamorphic 16:9 picture, Manga would have to 'Tilt and Scan' it. Not sure about that though.
Et Al:
If the "musical guest" turned out to be....Shiro Sagisu...I would find some way of attending, not likely though.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Say, Kong, did Jeff talk you into coming to Otakon yet?
Can't believe that you diddn't ask me!!! You already know the answer. ;)
I am going to tape some Cowboy Bebop when the series restarts Wednesday night/Thursday morning. Then I can show that to my parents. This combined with a post,asking for some love on Bebop, should get me that set!

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Brendan:
Thanks for the info.
Kong:
Dai-Guard is pretty funny so far (I've seen the first two disks). The fact that the robot is run by a PR department, and all that comes with it, is a bit of a twist. The story line has been pretty good so far, with some good character development. It's certainly not Gasaraki or anything, but fun.
As for Betterman, the jury is still out on that one, IMHO. I'm going to wait to watch the whole series through a couple of times before making up my mind on it. Hopefully it will make sense by then.
John.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
For the record, I'm not telling anyone who the guest is because it's our policy not to announce who it is until we have a signed contract in hand.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
As for Betterman, the jury is still out on that one, IMHO
i'm with john. i've been watching it on techtv. although i don't know how close it is to the original cut, it's still not really grabbin me...

heck, i'm still not exactly sure what the plot is... :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks