What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion Part III (1 Viewer)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Brendan:

Don't know when they will distribute it, but hopefully soon and not later. We should be getting word of a theatrical for fans. They already showcased it once at AFI (American Film Institute) in L.A/Hollywood. I'm waiting for a broader release. Don't know if they dubbed it or not, maybe that's the hold-up? Probably so.

---

(Uses his "Cricket Be Gone" spray)

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Sony broke some big ground by being the first domestic company to theatrically release a SUBTITLED animé film, so anything's possible.
However, if they do dub it, and are trying to do as well as Disney did for Spirited Away...more power to them I guess.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Welp, just watched Millennium Actress, and oh god, this movie is sooooooooo good, better than Perfect Blue.
If you're not a fan of PB, you probably shouldn't watch it, because it incorporates a lot of that mixed ensemble of confusion scenes together, but MA is not really confusing. It all makes sense, when you watch the scenes meld together to form one concrete storyplot, as they intertwine with each other.
I haven't been so moved since Grave of the Fireflies until I watched this movie. It is really a powerful movie, for me at least. The movie is like a romantic movie, but not a romantic movie, at the same time.
I'm not going to spoil much, but definitely, if you love PB, you'll love MA, and you gotta watch it. :)
What a great movie, and a good investment in the R2 DVD, sight unseen.

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I really should get around to borrowing Grave of the Fireflies from a friend. But I just have never been in the mood to be depressed by a film. I mean...I have term papers to do that for me.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't have GotF, nor have I seen it yet. The local Blockbuster has the VHS, so it's either that or wait to get/borrow it. I'm waiting.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Well... a good time was had by all at MegaCon at the Orange Country Convention Center in BEAUTIFUL (abiet rainy) Orlando, FL. Here was my take:
6 Manga DVDs for $80
-Ghost in the Shell
-Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
-Macross Plus Volume 1
-Macross Plus Volume 2
-The Wings of Honneamise
-X:1999
4 Packs of Chocolate Pocky
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

1 Palisades Convention Exclusive 'Animal' Muppet Figure
1 Lain wallscroll
2 GTO trade paperbacks @ 25% off
all in all a good take :D
Some GREAT Cosplay, an entertaining assortment of AMVs and a couple of new shows (Kong, I LOVED Naruto) made it a great con! I even met HTF and Movie Poop Shoot's own Derek Miner. The funniest thing was that next door was the US OPEN of CHEERLEADING... I couldn't imagine a funnier group to be mixed in with Sci-fi/Anime people ;)
Next destination: Otakon 2003 ;)

Andy Kent

Agent
Didn't Anime Central share convention space with a convention of nuns one year way back? (To all accounts, the sisters had a good time too!)

Andy Kent
more Gamera extras today...

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Jeff told me once that Otakon shared the Baltimore Convention Center with the Nation of Islam a couple years back ;)

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Now you're just teasing...we need detailed stories darn it!

*Sitting by the mailbox, cursing that I didn't spend more money for Shipping on FLCL*

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Oh, by the way, anyone coming to Otakon will be able to see me cosplay as... err... well I am still deciding ;)
Probably Lupin III because I have access to lots of lime-green suits (it's Florida for crying out loud!), I already have a bright yellow tie, and I can grow big sideburns. :D

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
After seeing the abundance of Inu Yasha cosplayers at MegaCon, I decided to check out the show's first episode tonight on Adult Swim. Alright, I broke my usual "no dub" rule with this one, but damn this is an excellent show... reminds me of a cross between some elements of Ranma 1/2 and Escaflowne. I will definately try to watch every night from now on on CN :D
I really want the DVDs now, but I am put off by the high disc/low episode count (from what I understand, this is already a 100+ episode series). Anyone think Viz will release some mini-boxes in the future? (as a full box would most-likely be obtrusively expensive)

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Rob Lutter:

Thank god this sort of episode count is rare for even the more popular Japanese shows, if it wasn't, many people would be flat broke (or flat broke-er) trying to get their favourite series' on disc.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Rob:
That's nothing... For R2 DVDs, the first series of Inuyasha got a treatment of 2 eps per volume. The 2nd series gets a treatment of 3 eps per volume. The DVD is still going.
100+ is not rare and is not common either. There are many shows that come close to 100 episodes and then there are those that surpass 100+, like Inuyasha, One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho, and the ilk.
It looks as though we may include a few more to the list of 100+ in about half a year. Hikaru no Go looks as though it's not going to end anytime soon. Ditto with Prince of Tennis. Some other series reaching their 40+ are Searching for the Full Moon (Full Moon wo sagashite) and Whistle.
Too many anime are like this, and long series U.S. companies rarely like to license unless they can get it on T.V..
And I really don't see Hikaru no Go ever coming to the U.S..

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
2 episodes per disc! :eek: :eek: That's nuts... I am collecting 1 long show right now, Lupin III, and that is because the episode count is VERY nice (6 episodes on the first disc, but I think they are going down to 5).
On a side note, have you been watching Ground Defense Force Mao-Chan, Kong? This show has me LMFAO every episode... but I kind of get the feeling that it isn't coming over here any time soon. It would be great if someone would license some 12-minute shows like this and Rizelmine :frowning:
Time to learn Japanese so I can get the R2s ;)

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Stranger animé have been licenced. 'Hoshi No Koe' from ADV and 'Nekojiru-so' from CPM were two unlikely-to-be-licensed titles that I will buy the moment they hit the shelf.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
ADV only got hoshi no koe because of their deal with Comix Wave or whatever the company is called.
His next production is Beyond the Clouds and it looks really sweet from just the preview alone. :)
Rob:
You should try watching Princess Tutu for pure wackiness. It's weird, and it's interesting, and it's abhoring all at the same time. *big laugh* Definitely, you gotta watch it. So far, Japan is in their 2nd series of 13 eps, but knowing that this series is based on ballet, and ballet usually has 3-4 acts, I think it will be either 39 episodes total or 42 episodes total. *sigh*
2 eps per volume is very common in Japan especially with popular shows and they're usually set at high prices like 5000-7000 Yen per volume for TV series. I'm just happy that Bandai Japan decided to go with a 9 disc release of Wolf's Rain rather than a 12-disc release. Whew... I would've died if they've gone with a 12-disc release. That would mean 3 series I'd be collecting with 12 disc release schedule. Now I only have 2...Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex and Heatguy J (awesome series, btw). Wolf's Rain starts its DVD release in Japan in April!!! :) Yay! :) I can't wait, and I can't wait to see what the box is like. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks