What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The French Connection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
What about French Connection II (1975) by Frankenheimer and Renoir? Will that be getting a new transfer as well or is the current transfer considered okay?
FrenchConnection2-1975-Fox-oneA.jpg

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Richard--W

What about French Connection II (1975) by Frankenheimer and Renoir?
Will that be getting a new transfer as well or is the current transfer considered okay?

The current disc is just fine.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Just got back from Best Buy...picked up the new French Connection release along with Wall Street, another new release with supposedly a new transfer. $15 each. Both have a slipcover indicating a "filmmakers signature series".

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Picked up the new edition at Best Buy this evening. I was always against the previous Blu transfer because it wasn't a HD transfer of the original film as presented theatrically. However I don't think many would have been so angry if this version now avaiable as a Best Buy exclusive had been included on the same release. In fact I believe more would have been open to the experience of watching William Friedkins new visual treatment. I have watched the original blu release many times and kind of liked the new visual treatment. It is just nice to know I now I have a choice in which version I feel like watching. Side note I don't care much for the Directors Series line because honestly they aren't very interesting cover art choices, furthermore the paper stock used is bad news for Best Buys price stickers. Good luck removing them without any harm to the slipcover.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger
furthermore the paper stock used is bad news for Best Buys price stickers. Good luck removing them without any harm to the slipcover.

I was able to remove the price sticker, but I was very, very careful in doing so. Although it still left a slight adhesive film behind, not too sticky but not totally clean either, I wasn't gonna push my luck though. Fortunately most Disney movies, the stickers just come right off the slip covers and that kinda spoils you into thinking they will on all.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Best Buy price stickers are just bad, there is always the option of ordering online, and possibly not having it on the slipcover

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
This new one is somewhat better ,I prefer it The Only problem I see is they didn't just leave off the color timming thing,they don't seem to include the excellent BBC Doc Did I miss this ,did they leave it off ,one reason to keep old second BR Disc I also saw the BR had Disc Resume ,something missing from the java loading first Blue ray, there's also a small booklet, included nothing much

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
^^ Which worked on mine just fine last night, btw. Talk about a surprise release. I got the one copy at Best Buy. (It looked like they might have had several earlier in the week.) (And of course there was nothing on the rack to indicate it would ring up this week at anything less than the $25 sticker price.)

Will watch soon, but one observation/question for whoever can chime in on it at this point: The first BD release put the movie on one disc and the extras on another. This has everything on one. They do drop one of the documentaries and of course Friedkin's explanations of the color changes, so I hope the quality isn't compromised. But what a thrill to have this, and to let the DVD set go to a proper home.

Also, looks like still no trailer, and the photo galleries (which admittedly I rarely look at but sometimes it's comforting to know they're there) never got ported over from the DVD either. I did like the B&W behind-the-scenes shots on this one, dammit.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Can someone post a pic of the new French Connection cover? I think I saw a copy of the new Blu-ray at a mom & pop and I almost bought it but decided against it because the copyright notice on the back cover says 2011. The slipcover said 'Signature Series" or something similar on it and the front of the box features a giant picture of Gene Hackman. What is Best Buy charging for the new disc?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I don't know about in-store but the website still lists it for $14.99. It seems to vary from store to store or even employee to employee but you should be able to price match the website's price if the in-store price is now $25.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by TravisR

$15

Originally Posted by TravisR [url=/t/282606/a-few-words-about-the-french-connection-in-blu-ray/150#post_3905801]

^ I don't know about in-store but the website still lists it for $14.99. It seems to vary from store to store or even employee to employee but you should be able to price match the website's price if the in-store price is now $25.

I was looking yesterday so I might have looked at the price wrong. Today it is 14.99 By the way, I bought Wall Street too, another BB exclusive.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
I bought this on Saturday at BB. Despite the fact that the price sticker and in-store signage said $24.99, it rang up as $14.99 at the register.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I bought it last night and it did the same, re: price. Honestly, if you want you could always wait a few months and this will probably be heavily discounted as they try to get it out of the store and into online only. Seems to be happening a lot with a lot of older catalog titles there. THE CONVERSATION has only been out for, what, five months? A little over four? I picked it up probably three or four weeks ago at Best Buy for a cool $5.99. The very next week it was back on sale, although this time for $7.99. Now they're completely gone from the stores around here.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
My copy freezes after the studio logo and legal disclaimer. I have to shut the player off otherwise it'll just stay stuck on Top Menu. (I have an Oppo). All I can think of is it's a firmware issue. If so, there's no point in trying to get a replacement and even if it's not, I don't have the patience to go back to BB and deal with customer service. So I'm stuck with a coaster.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
elDomenechHTF said:
even if it's not, I don't have the patience to go back to BB and deal with customer service. So I'm stuck with a coaster.
Go to the customer service desk, explain that the disc doesn't play in your Blu-ray player, and they'll give you another copy. What's the problem? I've returned movies to Best Buy tons of times for various reasons, and there's never been anything unpleasant to "deal with."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks