What's new

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I have the Criterion LaserDisc - it must have been one of the last LaserDisc releases they did.

Criterion released I Am Cuba on Laserdisc in March of 1996 as spine #295.

Criterion continued to release movies on Laserdisc for another three years. Their final release on the format was Armageddon, spine #384.

There were 76 other discs released between these two. (If that math doesn't seem to add up, that's because Criterion skipped over certain spine numbers for some reason.)

Reactions: PMF

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
There were 76 other discs released between these two. (If that math doesn't seem to add up, that's because Criterion skipped over certain spine numbers for some reason.)

Some of them, at least, were titles they had planned, but for one reason or another never got released. Among the titles that I'd heard of from one source or other were The Lady from Shanghai, Fireman's Ball, Nanook of the North, Gone with the Wind, and six Godzilla movies: Gojira (both the original Japanese, and the American version), Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla vs Mothra, Godzilla vs Monster Zero, Godzilla's Revenge, and Terror of MechaGodzilla.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Some of them, at least, were titles they had planned, but for one reason or another never got released. Among the titles that I'd heard of from one source or other were The Lady from Shanghai, Fireman's Ball, Nanook of the North, Gone with the Wind, and six Godzilla movies: Gojira (both the original Japanese, and the American version), Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla vs Mothra, Godzilla vs Monster Zero, Godzilla's Revenge, and Terror of MechaGodzilla.
Doug Pratt's The LaserDisc Newsletter used to have a "coming attractions" section, in the good old days. Several of those titles were listed there for years. But not Il Conformista :biggrin:

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Got the Italian version but the 4K disc was region coded ,which I didn’t
think they did too 4k discs,so I will have to stick with the Japanese version

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What?!! A 4K/UHD that’s Region-Coded? Damn, my Italian copy is due this week. I’ll take the hit, though, as I’m not going to do a time-from-work post office run, spend monies on shipping, and then monitor my CC to see if the return was processed. Ugh. That kind of time and energy costs more than the disc. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I don’t know what you’re talking about. The Italian Raro 4K disc is region free, SDR encode and has English subs. The 1080p disc is region coded “B”. Please get your information/advice right.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I don’t know what you’re talking about. The Italian Raro 4K disc is region free, SDR encode and has English subs. The 1080p disc is region coded “B”. Please get your information/advice right.
not the one I just got, It says region B on the box for both discs and it doesn't play on either one of my players.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I've played my 4K disc on an otherwise "A" and a "B" friendly player (oppo 203 and Panasonic 820.) The 4K disc plays on both players. What are you playing it on? Nobody anywhere has reported a region locked 4K UHD.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Not quite.

Damn. Is this gonna be the future, or are these just a couple of hiccups? Well, I’m way past due for a Region-Free player, anyway. No doubts, PMF stands for Physical Media Forever.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That is strange.

Wonder how they're actually doing the region coding.

IIRC, the concern during the earliest days of the format was that discs could be authored to "phone home" via the internet to authorize playback instead of the old region coding scheme used on DVDs and BDs... but no 4K discs ever seemed to be authored to make use of that so far... perhaps until now.

@Peter Neski, do you allow your 4K player full access to the internet? IF not, maybe give that a try w/ the disc to see if that enables playback... although the disc/player should presumably alert you to that need if that's indeed how it handles authorization...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not quite.

Hmmm... if it's truly region locked, sounds like one could try a player that can normally handle other regions for BDs (w/ whatever relevant playback method), ie. a 4K player that's region-hacked/hackable for BD, eg. hacked Oppo 203/205 or maybe a Panny (using the top menu trick).

Still very strange and sounds like they may be breaking BDA rules/licensing in region locking the disc...

_Man_

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I've played my 4K disc on an otherwise "A" and a "B" friendly player (oppo 203 and Panasonic 820.) The 4K disc plays on both players. What are you playing it on? Nobody anywhere has reported a region locked 4K UHD.
The 4K UHD is definitely region-B locked. Also states this on the back of the box. First 4K UHD I've encountered with region-locking.

I had my Oppo 203 set to region A, in order to watch Kino Lorber's Valmont. When I popped in the 4K UHD, without changing the region on my player, an Italian text appeared saying that the disc was for region "B" players only, and booted the Oppo back to the home screen (also, the first time I've experienced that)! But changing the player to region "B" enabled the flawless playing of a very beautiful movie! I haven't bothered to purchase the Kino Lorber The Conformist, but the Italian 4K UHD is gorgeous. (And comes with a lovely lenticular slip-cover, for Robert Harris).

The last time I saw Il Conformista, was on Arrow Academy's release in 2012. The blu-ray looked rather terrible, when projected, and I never got lost into the film. Seeing this masterpiece again on the 4K UHD, immediately after the not-so-very-good-looking Valmont, was a rapturous experience.

Il Conformista.jpg

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Umbrella has now accidentally released two different region-locked UHDs: Razorback and The Last Wave It was indeed an error on their part, and they offered a replacement program for both. So it definitely can and does happen. But there's more than a dozen of other UHDs so far that have been intentionally region-locked. So it's definitely a thing, albeit an uncommon one.

The irony in Umbrella's case is that they've long been releasing Blu-rays that say that they're region coded, but they're really not. It's like a wink at playing by the rules while quietly breaking them. So it was strange that they accidentally did the opposite with some of their UHDs.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Raro/Kino's probably going to release this in 4K before too long anyway, no?

I can probably just wait for that -- not feeling like importing this given the region locking since I don't have a region-hacked 4K player, except my Panny 420, which may or may not work for this case...

_Man_

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I Am Cuba is an amazing film. Unfortunately it's been available only on DVD in the USA. I don't know whether there is a better release elsewhere. I own the original Milestone release from 2000, and the cigar-box release (also Milestone) from 2007

I Am Cuba - just announced by Criterion today for release (4k-blu) in April 2024!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Umbrella has now accidentally released two different region-locked UHDs: Razorback and The Last Wave It was indeed an error on their part, and they offered a replacement program for both.

It's odd that you say Umbrella's The Last Wave was (accidentally) region-locked. My copy -- which was pre-ordered when Umbrella first announced it -- played without any problem on my LG 4K player.

Anyway, regarding region-locked UHDs...

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I got around the region code by copying the disc and streaming it, I am happy to report (I Guess) that it is the same.
as the Japanese 4k version and does have English subtitles. The Japanese version doesn't have any advantage other.
than no region code problems and a short still file and much better artwork wish I knew about this Italian disc sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks