What's new

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I got around the region code by copying the disc and streaming it, I am happy to report (I Guess) that it is the same.
as the Japanese 4k version and does have English subtitles. The Japanese version doesn't have any advantage other.
than no region code problems and a short still file and much better artwork wish I knew about this Italian disc sooner.
My head is spinning from all this back and forth. I just bought the Kino. If it is too "yellow" I'll adjust the color!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My 4K/UHD copy arrived.

As the disc began playing, a couple of preface sentences appeared. All I could discern on my display screen in a foreign language was the word “Permessa”. I’m assuming that’s Italian for “Permission”. Anyway, one would think that a purchase would be permission enough.😜

Funny, but no address or phone number was supplied to obtain such permissions. Meanwhile, written on the same title card - in actual bold type English - was “Region Code B”.🤔

Guess I took one for the HTF team. Yes, a Region-Free player must now be obtained and is long overdue.📆

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
My 4K/UHD copy arrived.

A couple of sentences appeared. All I could diacern on my screen in a foreign language was the word “Permessa”. I’m assuming that’s Italian for “Permission”. Anyway, one would think that a purchase would be permission enough.😜

Funny, but no address or phone number was supplied to obtain such permissions. Meanwhile, written on the same screen/slate in actual bold type English was “Region Code B”.🤔

Guess I took one for the HTF team. Yes, a Region-Free player must now be obtained and is long overdue.📆

You don't have a Panasonic 4K player? IF you have, try the "top menu trick" first to see if that works before going hunting for a new, hacked player.

_Man_

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
You don't have a Panasonic 4K player? IF you have, try the "top menu trick" first to see if that works before going hunting for a new, hacked player.

_Man_
I would’ve had a Panny a long time ago, but every time I read the HTF pages I discover yet another great review for a disc or learn of another Kino sale, and end up spending the monies on the films. It’s a viciously real Catch-22.😳

Last edited:

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
That is strange.
Wonder how they're actually doing the region coding.
The equivalent for UHD of the BDA still has to issue an official statement as to whether these discs are compliant with the UHD white-paper specs, because UHD definitely isn't supposed to be locked in such a manner, but several UHDs are. While the 1st ones looked to potentially be mistakes (UHD authored in a fashion so similar to their BD counterpart that they mistakenly copy-pasted the region-locking with it), it now looks like at least some of these UHDs are being actively locked.

This isn't referred as "region-locking" but "geo-locking", but it's pretty much the same, and is using a certain authoring to force the player to check the region even if it's a UHD.

I see jayembee provided the list compiled by blu-ray.com's members, which gives an idea about what is still managed to be happening on this front...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The equivalent for UHD of the BDA still has to issue an official statement as to whether these discs are compliant with the UHD white-paper specs, because UHD definitely isn't supposed to be locked in such a manner, but several UHDs are. While the 1st ones looked to potentially be mistakes (UHD authored in a fashion so similar to their BD counterpart that they mistakenly copy-pasted the region-locking with it), it now looks like at least some of these UHDs are being actively locked.

This isn't referred as "region-locking" but "geo-locking", but it's pretty much the same, and is using a certain authoring to force the player to check the region even if it's a UHD.

I see jayembee provided the list compiled by blu-ray.com's members, which gives an idea about what is still managed to be happening on this front...

Right, when I originally wondered aloud, I had forgotten and/or didn't quite realize they could just use the old BD region coding method to do it... since 4K discs are really just BDs w/ extra layers and different AV encodes, but could still have certain aspects of these formats (like basic startup and region coding) be (preserved) identical.

_Man_

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
Without this issue, I wouldn't have guessed either that at least part of the authoring could be so similar, but it looks like it can be (and that some are abusing it to enforce a regional compartimentation that isn't supposed to exist anymore).

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
I received my 4K copy of 'Il Conformista' (Eagle Pictures, 4Kult series) from Amazon Italy here to me in Spain 2 days ago.

It is the fixed (version 2) disc and it is also currently on sale for 15.90 euros.

As a bonus, it also came with the spot glossed and embossed slipcover and artcard (number 720 of 1000).

I have no idea if the 4K is region 'B' locked or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks