What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
When it comes to pulp literature one might go only as far as to quote dialogue from Star Trek IV, with Spock explaining profanity to Kirk as the work of Harold Robbins and Jacqueline Suzanne.

"Ah, the giants."

One of those giants of literature wrote the basis for Paramount's Joseph E. Levine production of The Carpetbaggers.

Contemporary reviews were generally poor to horrific, with The New York Times' Bosley Crowther, who actually did write a few good reviews, noting that the film is a "a sickly sour distillation of Harold Robbins's big-selling 1961 novel." In his final words on the subject, he tells us that "Mr. Dmytryk [the director] has gone at this film, which might have been trenchant in the manner of "Citizen Kane," with a baseball bat. He has beaten it down to a square, flat surface, without cinematic lift or style. And, somehow, color makes it look more synthetic than it might look in black-and-white."

Well, here we are sixty years later, and nothing much has changed except that the film can now be viewed as a product of the time, and considered as a bit of fun filmmaking for profit.

Paramount's new master, as released by Kino is helpful in that regard, as it literally glistens with Technicolor-like wonderfulness on the new Blu-ray. I believe Joseph MacDonald, a superb cinematographer, would approve.

Colors literally pop off the screen. Grain looks absolutely proper, and untainted. Resolution likewise. In some ways, this could pass for 4k.

A much-maligned, but "must-see" film from 1964 gets a wonderful Blu-ray send-off. Original prints were dye transfer with blow-ups to 70mm.

The pre-quel, Nevada Smith, directed by Henry Hathaway and starring Steve McQueen is also available from Kino.

Sadly, the slip need not be mentioned.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1, from an original 3.0 mix)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 6

Slipcover rating - 1

Recommended

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
I've never seen The Carpetbaggers" in a theater, only on TV, and I may be having a senior moment -- is there now or has there ever been a tacked on opening scene to the film that had fleeting female nudity that caused the "Adults Only" label when it first opened? I recall language to that effect in newspaper ads?

Update: Wiki reports that some Euro venues at time of release had such footage. I've always liked the film probably because Elmer Bernstein's masterful score just gives the film a propulsive flow. Now to preorder!

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thank you for this review. I was intending to buy this disc anyway but your very positive comments strengthens my resolve! I like a bit of slush and melodrama every now and then, so I don't care that The Carpetbaggers is not regarded as a good film.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I've never seen The Carpetbaggers" in a theater, only on TV, and I may be having a senior moment -- is there now or has there ever been a tacked on opening scene to the film that had fleeting female nudity that caused the "Adults Only" label when it first opened? I recall language to that effect in newspaper ads?

Update: Wiki reports that some Euro venues at time of release had such footage. I've always liked the film probably because Elmer Bernstein's masterful score just gives the film a propulsive flow. Now to preorder!
There were photos of those scenes in Playboy magazine when the film was released.

Jimbo.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dimitrios
I always loved the sheer awfulness of this movie. At the time of its release I think it was quite popular despite the terrible reviews. It did cause a couple of ripples in the industry as I recall.

It took George Peppard down a couple of pegs who, as a graduate of the Actor’s Studio, considered himself too good to act along mere movie stars like Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast At Tiffany’s and it gave us the equally fabulously awful Harlow with Carol Baker basically reprising her role from this movie.

It really takes something special to scar two fine reputations with just one film—just as Valley of the Dolls would several years later—but then again, as Spock said, “the giants.”

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There were certain books that when filmed, necessitated readers showing up at theaters. Another was Love Story. In that case, not one of the “giants,” and a sweet little tome. Readers loved the book.

Seeing the film today, many will end up saying “sorry.”

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I have the Imprint and I will still get the Kino blu ray. Loving this film means never having to say "I'm sorry"

willyTass

Supporting Actor
as I sometimes do with Criterion USA, Warner Archive and Kino titles, this time i bought 4 copies to get one that wasn't scratched - 3 were mint and 1 was scratched - and one was packed by the night shift. Criterion England releases are pressed at Sony Europe so never disappoint. On Occasion , warner archive will release a British release.

From the opening scene when the titles sequence came on i was in for something special .

Ignore the screencaps at DVD Beaver , Mr Harris is spot on, this is a MAGNIFICENT transfer. Beavers caps are compressed.

Prior to the Kino announcement , sealed copies of the Australian release were fetching $100USD on ebay . They are now worthless in my opinion .

The compression ( ? by paramount ? by KINO ) is stupendous . Reminds me of work by David Mackenzie . Film grain is so perfectly rendered . (unlike she shoddy compression on the Australian release )

Colours are beautiful . Everything done is top shelf .This is definitely OCN .

The Score !!!! Bernsteins music is beautifully reproduced here and far far superior to what we had on the Imprint release. I played it LOUD to test for clipping /distortion . Nothing.

Hard to believe that the same company that released The Godfather 4K can do work like this .

carpet.jpg
carpet1.jpg

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Harold Robbins was really famous in the late 50s/60s, his paperbacks were everywhere (my mum read all his books), but fame is fleeting, & he's probably better known for that Star Trek quote now. I remember when The Carperbaggers was released in the UK, it was an X certificate, so shocking, so grown-up, that only over 16s could see it (without their brains exploding). Ha, times change.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
as I sometimes do with Criterion USA, Warner Archive and Kino titles, this time i bought 4 copies to get one that wasn't scratched - 3 were mint and 1 was scratched - and one was packed by the night shift. Criterion England releases are pressed at Sony Europe so never disappoint. On Occasion , warner archive will release a British release.

From the opening scene when the titles sequence came on i was in for something special .

Ignore the screencaps at DVD Beaver , Mr Harris is spot on, this is a MAGNIFICENT transfer. Beavers caps are compressed.

Prior to the Kino announcement , sealed copies of the Australian release were fetching $100USD on ebay . They are now worthless in my opinion .

The compression ( ? by paramount ? by KINO ) is stupendous . Reminds me of work by David Mackenzie . Film grain is so perfectly rendered . (unlike she shoddy compression on the Australian release )

Colours are beautiful . Everything done is top shelf .This is definitely OCN .

The Score !!!! Bernsteins music is beautifully reproduced here and far far superior to what we had on the Imprint release. I played it LOUD to test for clipping /distortion . Nothing.

Hard to believe that the same company that released The Godfather 4K can do work like this .

View attachment 205096 View attachment 205097
How many copies do you own?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Harold Robbins was really famous in the late 50s/60s, his paperbacks were everywhere (my mum read all his books), but fame is fleeting, & he's probably better known for that Star Trek quote now. I remember when The Carperbaggers was released in the UK, it was an X certificate, so shocking, so grown-up, that only over 16s could see it (without their brains exploding). Ha, times change.
1c641024.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks