What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ben-Hur -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yeah, great score by MR. I like popping in my blu-rays of these epics as I do dishes. By the time they are done with the overture and credits music, and then the opening few minutes of the movie, I'm usually getting close to getting the dishes done. But just listening to the music pure would be a good thing.
I do love the higher sound quality that blu-rays have. Isn't it higher than CDs?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by benbess /t/314868/a-few-words-about-ben-hur-in-blu-ray/180#post_3900799
Yeah, great score by MR. I like popping in my blu-rays of these epics as I do dishes. By the time they are done with the overture and credits music, and then the opening few minutes of the movie, I'm usually getting close to getting the dishes done. But just listening to the music pure would be a good thing.
I do love the higher sound quality that blu-rays have. Isn't it higher than CDs?
Most definitely.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Zerkalo said:
Hi, Fritz,
I saw your DVD cover of Ben Hur and really liked it. Is it possible that I download it somehow?
I think the best way to do it, is to PM Fritz requesting the cover.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Ben-Hur is coming to theaters this week for one day only.
It's playing in my hometown Louisville, KY, at the local Cinemark Tinseltown theater this coming Thursday at 2 and 7. This is a nice theater. Find out if you have a theater near you playing this classic--which deserves to be seen on the big screen. The chariot race, ramming speed, and more, like you've probably never seen it before...The link below can be used to look for your local Cinemark theater (if any):
http://www.cinemark.com/
Here's another link for this particular movie:
http://www.cinemark.com/movie-detail.aspx?node_id=50971
Does anyone know if this will be higher res than our blu-rays? Is it 4k?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I've seen Ben Hur on the big screen, and agree that it is a different experience. Thanks for the heads up.

Jeff Job

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Job
I saw Ben Hur back in November on the big screen as part of the Cinema Series in Canada, and it was almost like seeing it for the first time. The only problems were:
1) The projectionist cut off the music at the end of Part 1 just as the screen went to black and before the "Intermission" card came up- then forwarded through the first couple minutes of Part 2.
2) There was no intermission - there was 4 minutes of music between part 1 and 2 for people to "take a break".
Also, our cinema showed the blu ray discs - the theater doors were open as they were getting ready, and they had the blu ray title menu up on the screen.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
This is the first time I've posted at this site. I always enjoy the comments and discussion.
I saw the presentation of Ben-Hur at a Cinemark Theater in early February. It was projected on an IMAX type screen named XD. It looked amazing. They showed the complete film including overture & intermission with entr'acte music. Before the film began a message was shown on the screen explaining that a musical interlude would precede the film. The same type of message preceded the entr'acte music. A few people giggled as the overture began, but you could hear a pin drop throughout the rest of the showing.
I've seen Ben-Hur several times in 70 mm projection including its original showing at NYC's
Loew's State Theater. I also have the recent blu-ray disc. One of the things I always look for is during the scene of the sermon on the mount. When Christ is shown in the foreground Judah is walking in the very far background; he can clearly be seen in this presentation. The sound was also excellent. It sounded as if the orchestra was plaing live behind the screen. On the negative side, I believe that the full width of the frame may have been slightly cut off. All in all it was quite impressive. If I have the time I will try to see it again at a Cinemark in Boca Raton on a conventional theater screen this week (3/15/12).
As an aside, this has been an amazing year for Ben-Hur fans. Film Score Monthly has released a wonderful complete soundtrack of Rozsa's score including alternate takes and the complete 3 LP
releases of years ago.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
cinemel1: Thanks very much for this report! I'm going with my family this Thursday at 2 pm. I'm looking forward to it!

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
No such luck.:( Looks like my Cinemark will only be playing Casablanca (March 21) which I'm not a big enough fan to go and see on the big screen.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Well, I tried to see Ben-Hur in the theater with my family tonight. It halfway worked out. First, the good. The PQ of this digital presentation was fine. It was a theater that would seat at least 500 and had quite a large screen. I did not see any digital issues even when I was up close. Does that mean it was 4k? Don't know. In any case, the PQ was wonderful, and I thought the film was very strong. Great music, fine script, wonderful production values, and strong performances all around. The increased detail was mostly wonderful, and I picked up a few details that I may have even missed on my blu-ray. I think, for instance, that there's a siight indication that Mary may be breastfeeding Jesus in that very early scene. And then the soldier who ineffectively tries to prevent Jesus from giving water to Ben-Hur has a wonderful medusa on his breat plate which my daughter pointed out--and which I don't recall noticing before. Many things like that just realiy immersed you in the reality of that world. I thought it was emotional in places where it should be. The model ships in the sea battle, although quite good, were somewhat more evident on the big screen.
But....Oh dear. They were remodeling the next door theater into an "HD" theater--which is Cinemark's name for super quality seats, sounds system, and projection. The problem was that we could hear them hammering, drilling, and sawing next door. Multiple complaints from several people were not enough to silence the noise, but did earn everyone in the audiencel free passes to a future showing of a movie of our choice. So, during the 15 minute intermission the mood was mostly restored, until we came back in and saw as supposedly part 2 began Leo the Lion in silent mode again. Then Anno Domini again, etc. We were back at the beginning. Half an hour later, after multiple complaints, they still hadn't fixed it. Their digital package, they said, seemed to have two part 1s and no part 2. They gave us full cash refunds on top of our passes for another show. But the net result is I lost my seeming one chance to see the chariot race on the big screen. We are now at home, and getting ready to fire up part 2 of our blu-ray as a second best alternative.
It all made me curious about the digital packages they send to theaters instead of film these days. I found a few pix...Basically if at home you have a thumb drive, this is a full hand or foot drive.
f22c30ee_dcp3.jpeg

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Wait. The theater personnel didn't notice that Part 2 was really Part 1 until the townspeople had carried their torches and beaten down the door for 30 minutes?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by benbess /t/314868/a-few-words-about-ben-hur-in-blu-ray/210#post_3907234
Well, I tried to see Ben-Hur in the theater with my family tonight. It halfway worked out. First, the good. The PQ of this digital presentation was fine. It was a theater that would seat at least 500 and had quite a large screen. I did not see any digital issues even when I was up close. Does that mean it was 4k? Don't know. In any case, the PQ was wonderful, and I thought the film was very strong. Great music, fine script, wonderful production values, and strong performances all around. The increased detail was mostly wonderful, and I picked up a few details that I may have even missed on my blu-ray. I think, for instance, that there's a siight indication that Mary may be breastfeeding Jesus in that very early scene. And then the soldier who ineffectively tries to prevent Jesus from giving water to Ben-Hur has a wonderful medusa on his breat plate which my daughter pointed out--and which I don't recall noticing before. Many things like that just realiy immersed you in the reality of that world. I thought it was emotional in places where it should be. The model ships in the sea battle, although quite good, were somewhat more evident on the big screen.
But....Oh dear. They were remodeling the next door theater into an "HD" theater--which is Cinemark's name for super quality seats, sounds system, and projection. The problem was that we could hear them hammering, drilling, and sawing next door. Multiple complaints from several people were not enough to silence the noise, but did earn everyone in the audiencel free passes to a future showing of a movie of our choice. So, during the 15 minute intermission the mood was mostly restored, until we came back in and saw as supposedly part 2 began Leo the Lion in silent mode again. Then Anno Domini again, etc. We were back at the beginning. Half an hour later, after multiple complaints, they still hadn't fixed it. Their digital package, they said, seemed to have two part 1s and no part 2. They gave us full cash refunds on top of our passes for another show. But the net result is I lost my seeming one chance to see the chariot race on the big screen. We are now at home, and getting reading to fire up part 2 of our blu-ray as a second best alternative.
It all made me curious about the digital packages they send to theaters instead of film these days. I found a few pix...Basically if at home you have a thumb drive, this is a full hand or foot drive.
f22c30ee_dcp3.jpeg
As we move further into the digital age, there is a message that you have apparently received, but possibly not heard loud and clear.

Stay away from such events.

Nothing good can come of them.

RAH

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Chas in CT said:
Wait.  The theater personnel didn't notice that Part 2 was really Part 1 until the townspeople had carried their torches and beaten down the door for 30 minutes?
Yes, it was pretty astonishing. One "manager" said she'd never seen the film before and so didn't know what part 2 looked like....:rolleyes:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by benbess /t/314868/a-few-words-about-ben-hur-in-blu-ray/210#post_3907240
Yes, it was pretty astonishing. One "manager" said she'd never seen the film before and so didn't know what part 2 looked like....
Everyone knows what part two of Ben-hur looks like. It's a DCP.

RAH

mark brown

Supporting Actor
We took the afternoon off for Ben Hur at the local Cinemark. Ben Hur should always be seen on a HUGE screen! As the film unspooled (or in this case "undrived" ) I recalled that time when Dad took the family to see Ben Hur in general release in the early 60's. Dad has been gone over a year now, and seeing it again brought a flood of memories. What an impression it made. Over the years I never passed the opportunity to see the film theatrically. While the 35mm showings were wonderful, of course the 70mm experience on re-releases were particularly exciting (although the aspect ratio was always monkeyed with). That velvet look of the film and the Camera 65 clarity and 6 track sound always stayed with me.
Overall we truly enjoyed the presentation today! My college daughters and their friends are going tonight and I envy those who have never seen the film before.
As much as we enjoyed the film i noticed some lack of detail occasionally, especially during the Sermon on the Mount and whenever the "cast of thousands" appeared. At times the film also looked slightly faded with a brownish cast to it. I am not sure the aspect ratio was true either. The digital sound was a little raspy to my old ears and did not have that beautiful analog fullness that I recall from days gone by. Have I allowed nostalgia to color the original experiences, or did it always have these flaws? How does the Blu Ray compare?
Is there any chance we will ever have a 70mm presentation again? Let me know your thoughts.
mdb

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I went to a one-time-only Fathom event several months ago which ended in a similarly disastrous manner.

We were told that the satellite signal had deteriorated. The menus that came on screen as they tried to fix it looked suspiciously like those of a Dish Network receiver. The next thing we knew, we saw a Windows XP screen and an attempt to finish the presentation off a harddrive...which only ended up showing the same deterioration of signal.

Most members of the audience were satisfied with their passes to another show. I insisted on--and got--my money back to the Fathom event.

I think the biggest problem with these digital presentations is not the technology (although it brings a lot of problems to the table) it is the fact that there is no trained (or caring) personnel in place to provide the service and show the event.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
mark brown said:
We took the afternoon off for Ben Hur at the local Cinemark. Ben Hur should always be seen on a HUGE screen! As the film unspooled (or in this case "undrived" ) I recalled that time when Dad took the family to see Ben Hur in general release in the early 60's. Dad has been gone over a year now, and seeing it again brought a flood of memories. What an impression it made. Over the years I never passed the opportunity to see the film theatrically. While the 35mm showings were wonderful, of course the 70mm experience on re-releases were particularly exciting (although the aspect ratio was always monkeyed with). That velvet look of the film and the Camera 65 clarity and 6 track sound always stayed with me.
Overall we truly enjoyed the presentation today! My college daughters and their friends are going tonight and I envy those who have never seen the film before.
As much as we enjoyed the film i noticed some lack of detail occasionally, especially during the Sermon on the Mount and whenever the "cast of thousands" appeared. At times the film also looked slightly faded with a brownish cast to it. I am not sure the aspect ratio was true either. The digital sound was a little raspy to my old ears and did not have that beautiful analog fullness that I recall from days gone by. Have I allowed nostalgia to color the original experiences, or did it always have these flaws? How does the Blu Ray compare?
Is there any chance we will ever have a 70mm presentation again? Let me know your thoughts.
mdb
While I'm sure that there are 70mm prints available it appears for now that future showings of BH will be from digital formats. I witnessed the flawed(sound was not in sync) showing of BH at the NY Film Festival. Large enough screen, good sound and yet it was 'missing something'. Film clarity for one. And the Blu ray I hate to say was(is) a better viewing experience. I had first seen BH in 1959 at the Loews State in NYC(theater long gone) and can remember the exquisite clarity of the picture. In the 60's I also saw BH in 35mm at the neighborhood theaters. Here too the picture stood out. I'm afraid that future showings of BH will be best served in home theaters...

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Mike Frezon said:
...I think the biggest problem with these digital presentations is not the technology (although it brings a lot of problems to the table) it is the fact that there is no trained (or caring) personnel in place to provide the service and show the event.  :td:
I agree with your thought here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks