What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ben-Hur -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Steve Batchelor

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Batchelor
Robert Harris said:
There is no difference between a 65mm 5-perf negative and and IMAX.  65mm is 65mm.
RAH
I should have been more clear. I wonder if the age of the film is an issue as to how it is scanned. Would a modern print need a higher res scan ?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Steve Batchelor /t/314868/a-few-words-about-ben-hur-in-blu-ray/180#post_3865765
I should have been more clear. I wonder if the age of the film is an issue as to how it is scanned. Would a modern print need a higher res scan ?
Prints are not scanned. Negatives and duplicating positives are scanned. And no, a 65mm element is scanned at 8k, independent of age.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, so I am a little late to the party....

I held off purchasing Ben Hur on Blu-ray until the price
was just right. Last week Barnes and Noble was offering
a 30% off sale and I nabbed the boxed set for just under
$29 which I felt was an enticing price.

Since I am on vacation this week, I am spending time
in front of my large display enjoying classics like these.

The boxed set is beautiful. Despite the fact that Warner
tends to put out these pricey boxed sets full of junk, at
least Ben Hur seems smartly put together. The inclusion
of a color book as well as Charlton Heston's personal diary
were very interesting to look through.

Didn't get to watch all the supplements, but I did spend
a lot of time with the newsreel and promotional footage
which I found fascinating -- particularly the inclusion of
the 1960 Academy Awards highlights. One of these days
I am going to watch the 1925 silent version of the film.

As for the film itself....

It's gorgeous! One of the best (if not the best) restorations
I have seen. The film looks gloriously incredible. I don't
think I saw a single scratch in the print.

It has been years since I have seen the film (and I have
only seen it once previously) so excuse me for the following
observations:

There were two instances where I noticed missing frames.
One scene involved Heston and Hawkins in the ship cabin.
The other was during the chariot race where a horse suddenly
jumps ahead a few feet. Just nitpicking.

Also rather surprised that the filmmakers darkened the
frontal view of Jesus during the trial. It's rather obvious
and I don't quite understand why the need to do so.

If you can find this boxed set on sale, it's a necessity
to purchase. This is one of the finest films ever made
and Warner should be exceptionally proud with the job
they did on this restoration. I simply sat and marveled
at all of it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I finally got around to it yesterday, part one and tonight was part two.
Bought it at Walmart awhile ago, movie only version.
I wasn't surprised that Jesus face was blurred out near the end because they never showed his face any other time in the movie. Although for a split instance he walks away from that blur and is face is there but even on my 73" I couldn't really see the face clearly.
First time I have seen the movie since the special Ed. DVD came out years ago. The blu looked and sounded great?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
RAH is right. If 8K is scanning perf to perf, then that portion of the resolution ratio is constant. The only difference is how much is taken in horizontally, since IMAX runs sideways through the projector @ 15 perf per frame, yielding a native AR of ~1.43:1.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
I'm one of the lucky ones that scored the Best Buy version of the big box with the figurine for $12.99.
Even though the web site showed no stock at any stores near me, one had two in stock. I grabbed both, one to keep and one for a gift.
As to the film itself, as others have noted, it's absolutely stunning.
This release is what Blu Ray is all about.

movienut1

Auditioning
Real Name
David Greene
A former filmmaker and lifelong movie fan, I built a giant screen home theater. From the moment the idea was conceived, I was hoping for a high quality Blu Ray release of "Ben-Hur". The 50th Anniversary edition that came out this year is an absolutely supreme experience on our screen. I saw it about a month after its premiere at Loews State Theater in NYC, and saw it numerous times thereafter in first-run theaters around the country. The Blu Ray restoration more closely approximates that original 70mm experience than I could ever have thought possible. I have seen a very promising looking HD airing of "Lawrence of Arabia" on the SonyHD channel. It was in a narrower format than the original, but it looked very sharp, with vibrant color. Do you know if "Lawrence" will be out in a U.S. Blu Ray edition anytime soon? As an obsessive aficionado, I long to see this one, and numerous other long neglected titles become available in Hi Def. One other question: Can anyone discover if the original cut of Carl Foreman's "The Victors" (1963) might ever be seen again?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ronald Epstein said:
There were two instances where I noticed missing frames.
One scene involved Heston and Hawkins in the ship cabin.
The other was during the chariot race where a horse suddenly
jumps ahead a few feet.   Just nitpicking.
Ron, the jump cut in the ship scene has always been there - even in 70mm prints. There was additional dialogue filmed (to do with Hawkins discussing the death of his wife and son I believe) which was cut before theatrical showings. I haven't checked to look at the horse scene.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
movienut1 said:
Do you know if "Lawrence" will be out in a U.S. Blu Ray edition anytime soon?
For the last couple years, the rumor has always seemed to be "Lawrence Of Arabia is coming to Blu-ray later this year" but since this year is the 50th anniversary, maybe it will actually come out this this year.

movienut1

Auditioning
Real Name
David Greene
My only nit-picking quibble with the new restoration is that the "shadow" over Jesus's face during the trial scene was a subtler effect in the original road-show screenings. It was never a really effective, convincing device, but somehow looks even more awkward in the restoration. To me, this is such a minor issue, involving a few seconds out of a 220 minute picture, that it is of no consequence. I did wonder what the restorers were struggling with when dealing with that shot.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My only nit-picking quibble with the new restoration is that the "shadow" over Jesus's face during the trial scene was a subtler effect in the original road-show screenings.

Exactly. Did not understand that. They couldn't get a guy
with a beard that looks like Jesus rather than just placing a
shadow over his face that looks like a black blotch on this
restoration?

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Perhaps I am being too simple, but I always inferred that this effect was an attempt on the filmakers' part to make Jesus "unknowable" in a sense - so exalted that anyone who gazed upon Him would see his or her own interpretation - or truth -if you will. I had never considered that it might be some kind of defect, in fact, I always found it rather moving. But, again, perhaps my impression of this effect is naive.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Right now the price of the box is so close to the price of the 2-disc BR I'm thinking I'll buy the box.
Is everyone satisfied with the color on this Blu-ray? the black level?
I have reasons for asking, and I want to be reassured before I spend the money.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Richard--W said:
Right now the price of the box is so close to the price of the 2-disc BR I'm thinking I'll buy the box.
Is everyone satisfied with the color on this Blu-ray? the black level?
I have reasons for asking, and I want to be reassured before I spend the money.
FWIW, to my eyes, it's perfect.
And the box is really nicely done.

movienut1

Auditioning
Real Name
David Greene
I would agree with your interpretation. The only problem with this one shot is that the effect they employed to obscure the face looks so unnatural and strange. As noted, something about the hi def restoration makes the problem more serious.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
For anyone who purchased the UK version, can you confirm that the audio is DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1? The website says something about it being Dolby Digital 5.1. The last thing I want on a blu-ray is compressed audio. Thanks.

Zerkalo

Auditioning
Real Name
Nikola Kasalica
Hi, Fritz,
I saw your DVD cover of Ben Hur and really liked it. Is it possible that I download it somehow?

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
If anyone is a fan of the great score by Miklos Rozsa be advised that it is now available from Filmscore Monthly and can be ordered from ScreenArchives.com. This is a 5 cd disc complete version that includes the original soundtrack recording, alternates as well as the three MGM Lp versions released at the time the film was released. Limited to 2000 copies. The samples sound wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks