What's new

A few words about...™ - The Color Purple -- in 4k UHD (2 Viewers)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Everyone knows there's a new version coming out in a few weeks, right?

Perplexing that we're getting "here's who should direct a new 'Color Purple'!" comments... when someone already directed a new "Color Purple". :unsure:

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
Everyone knows there's a new version coming out in a few weeks, right?

Perplexing that we're getting "here's who should direct a new 'Color Purple'!" comments... when someone already directed a new "Color Purple". :unsure:
While I agree that it's obviously bound to reinforce and improve upon the grittiness missing from the original-- because it is in the tradition of musicals...
I wonder that no one is thinking of female directors--not even the producers of the new tune-filled version. A woman might have a personal and interesting understanding of Alice Walker's work.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
While I agree that it's obviously bound to reinforce and improve upon the grittiness missing from the original-- because it is in the tradition of musicals...
I wonder that no one is thinking of female directors--not even the producers of the new tune-filled version. A woman might have a personal and interesting understanding of Alice Walker's work.
Duh. Ava DuVernay.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Watched this new 4k disc yesterday afternoon.

I have never read Alice Walker's book, so I can't comment on what the film got right and what it didn't nor who could have done it better.

However, I find this film completely perfect. Outside of Schindler's List, I find it to be Spielberg's best work. All the key characteristics of what makes a Spielberg film are evident here including the production design and storytelling mechanics.

The 4k transfer is beautiful to look at. The Warner Bros. cover and menu artwork are not. The studio has certainly put out the most disappointing cover art for its 100th Anniversary collection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If Warner doesn't care about the cover and menu artwork then just leave it alone and use the old artwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks