What's new

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Again, I think it's a matter of personal taste. For me, Pee Wee's version of "Surfin' Bird" is one of the high points of his career, but then, I was 13 when the song came out, went through a couple 45's because I played it so much, and even got to play the bass line in a cover band upstate, which was a real joy, so I have a very affectionate attitude towards that song. We can agree to disagree.

I loved "Big Adventure" - still do. "Big Top" crushed whatever goodwill PWH earned from that movie, though.

Given the movie's lack of actual plot and structure, the PWH cameo isn't an actual problem.

Still feels totally random, though! :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Pee Wee H had just come off the success of Big Top Pee Wee and got a deal at Paramount. I don't think BTTB was conceived w his cameo appearance in mind. I think it was an attempt to spice up the movie w a new, relevant "star." It feels like it comes out of nowhere because it did ! It's perhaps memorable and borderline manic and insane and certainly on its own preserves peak Pee Wee for future generations to enjoy. His one and only feature for Paramount - 1988's Big Top Pee Wee - was a Scud. It grossed $15 million - not much more than BTTB.

(Clearly you meant "PWBA" in the first sentence.)

Look, I get why the filmmakers thought PWH's inclusion would help the movie. Even more than "PWBA", "Playhouse" made him popular and was a big hit when they shot the movie.

I just think it's a weird curveball, even for a movie without much real plot or purpose! :)

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
(Clearly you meant "PWBA" in the first sentence.)

Look, I get why the filmmakers thought PWH's inclusion would help the movie. Even more than "PWBA", "Playhouse" made him popular and was a big hit when they shot the movie.

I just think it's a weird curveball, even for a movie without much real plot or purpose! :)
yes i mixed those up. apologies. Loved Pee Wee's Playhouse and of course his classic appearances on David Letterman.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Attachments

• _77517139_kielrexfeatures.jpg
    _77517139_kielrexfeatures.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks