What's new

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
And I would agree that is is strange.

But so is the fact the cast a 50-something to play a dude in his 30s. Even if you ignore the leading lady part, McCrea was still waaaay older than Earp.

And since the movie intends to be his "origin story" and implies a fairly youthful Earp, it makes a lot less sense for a 50-something to play the part.

IMO, this is a much more obvious problem because it's obvious to even the historically-ignorant viewer. Ya gotta know history to be aware of the issue you mention, but ya don't to realize that McCrea is far older than the character should be.

Anyway, it's a good movie even with these flaws.
I don't know, maybe knock it off with the ageist nonsense already. At this point, you're a broken record. McCrea was fifty not ninety-seven and don't watch the movie if you can't deal with it. Riddle me this, buckaroo - how old was Mr. James Stewart when he played Charles Lindbergh, who was, if memory serves, twenty-five at the time of Spirit of St. Louis. You better stay away from half the movies made in the past, dear boy, you just better.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Howdy cowpokes, what am I reading here?

origin story?
ageism?

Sure sounds confusing to me so how about watching a good solid oater with Joel McCrea instead?
There's also lovely Vera Miles as the leading lady and it has that new extra wide Cinemascope format, so everybody should be happy!

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Why not just give it to someone here instead?
I really don’t like packing things up and sending them out thru the USPS. Plus, there is a GW store right down the road from where I am, and they’re always very appreciative of my dropping items off. And lastly, someone will purchase it for a good price and enjoy the film…and that money will go towards a good cause.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I really don’t like packing things up and sending them out thru the USPS. Plus, there is a GW store right down the road from where I am, and they’re always very appreciative of my dropping items off. And lastly, someone will purchase it for a good price and enjoy the film…and that money will go towards a good cause.
Are you talking about Wichita or Vertigo?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, we heard you the first time then the second, third and now fourth or fifth time. :laugh:

My point: it perplexes me that you find yourself bugged by the movie's liberties with some character names but not the issues with the lead actor's age.

And that's my last comment on this subject - and this thread, so all involved can feel free to insult me all ya want and I won't say anything.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My point: it perplexes me that you find yourself bugged by the movie's liberties with some character names but not the issues with the lead actor's age.
I tried to explain it to you beforehand but obviously I didn't do a good enough job of doing so. I'll try one more time. By the time of my high school years, I've seen most movies that had Wyatt Earp as a character except two movies that came out in the 1990's which were Tombstone and Wyatt Earp. Anyhow, most of those westerns had Wyatt Earp and his brothers Virgil and Morgan which was appropriate because all three of them were lawmen. Even the later films from the 1990's had all three as lawmen. However, there was one movie that was an exception and that is Wichita. For some strange reason they omitted Virgil and substituted James, another Earp brother, who was never a lawman. Being a history buff from my teenage years, I was always curious as to why that was the case. Granted, just about all of those westerns about Wyatt Earp were historically inaccurate to begin with except perhaps, the 1994 film with Kevin Costner. For the most part that movie was pretty accurate or at the very least, it was the most historically accurate movie about Wyatt Earp.

As a history buff, if I watched Wichita for the first time today, Joel McCrea's age probably would've bothered me to a certain degree. However, it would never be to the level that it bothers you because during my childhood some 60 years ago, I was exposed to many older movies in which actors and actresses were much older than the characters they were supposed to be playing. There were so many such movies, in my childhood that I learned to overlook the age differences without it impacting my enjoyment of it. Furthermore, once I got older and learned more about the studio system, I understood that movies wouldn't be green-lighted for production without the star power of these older actors and actresses being cast in these movies. It's the way the movie-making business operated back in the day. IMO, movie audiences were much more accepting or forgiving of movie inaccuracies than they are today. That even applies to how movies were made back then when it comes to backlots, mattes and projected sequences when it was obvious that people weren't in cars or riding horses during an action scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks