What's new

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
You’ll wind up on the upgrade path I’m on, which is that I wasn’t specifically looking to buy 4K equipment but every piece of HD equipment I have that has reached end of life is no longer made for HD only, so 4K was the only option.

Like I was saying, it’s probably best not to think of it as “upgrading to 4K” but simply replacing end of life gear with what’s currently available. Your Blu-ray collection is still gonna look great on a new 4K screen so there isn’t a need to replace everything you own. But in cases where the Blu-ray just was lacking, you’ll get the new 4K disc not because you’re specifically looking for increased resolution, but simply because it’s a newer, better master that just so happens to be in 4K.
From what I was reading here, that's what I'm anticipating. Though 6 months ago, when I was in the market for a new player and was considering going 4K, I went to B&H and noticed they still have a Sony HD panel the same size as the current one I own. Don't know how long that will last though.

Real Name
steven alejandro
Frenzy remains one of my favorites for the Long Take in the street after 1st murder and the reverse tracking shot and the Potato truck scene and the dinner scene at the Chief Inspector's house and Rusk dragging the trunk.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
This is in my top five Hitchcock films. It's not at all the sort of film you'd expect from a filmmaker in his 70s and got his start in the silent era. There's a diabolical, almost evil edge to it. The wrong man isn't a suave type that you naturally like and Hitchcock dares us to want the killer to get away with it. While I find Family Plot to be a fun, lighter fare... This is the last masterpiece from the master of suspense.
Indeed, it’s about as far from out fashioned filmmaking as one can imagine. perhaps Hitch in viewing his “pupils” found himself reinvigorated. It’s certainly reflected with the excellent script except this is truly the one film where the wrong man is the least appealing character in the film.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I started watching it but when I saw the dead naked woman floating in the Thames it upset me and I realized this was not my kind of movie. Maybe if it had come later. I must have put on Genevieve.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I think this is a reasonable approach to take. I've been in the home theater game for a very long time and currently have a high-end JVC 4K projector. When all the stars align, yes, a good 4K disc can show an improvement over its corresponding Blu-ray. But, assuming both discs stem from the same video master, it's definitely a case of diminishing returns. In many cases, there's little to no appreciable difference, and due to the complexities of HDR, sometimes the 4K may look worse.

I cannot tell you the number of times I've been left frustrated at how needlessly dim the HDR grading on much 4K content is.
Hm. These things can be a bit subjective, but it almost sounds to me like a tone mapping and/or brightness issue in the projection set-up. I've got a 4K JVC (RS1100/NP5) but I don't encounter that. How many calibrated nits are you getting?

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Indeed, it’s about as far from out fashioned filmmaking as one can imagine. perhaps Hitch in viewing his “pupils” found himself reinvigorated. It’s certainly reflected with the excellent script except this is truly the one film where the wrong man is the least appealing character in the film.
Yes Jon Finch is really close to the bottom of the barrel as the hero. Think if a much more magnetic 34 year old Terrence Stamp had been cast in the lead instead. And maybe a Romy Schneider, Liv Ullmann or maybe even Monica Vitti cast as the sensible ex-wife (imagine how upsetting the subsequent events would have been). Maybe expand the interplay between the exes to pull the audience towards them both. It seems like Hitchcock was trying to save money by not casting stars. I think he undercut the effectiveness of his style of movie-making by going cheap. Topaz suffered from the same lack of stars plus a dull script. Marnie had the very effective Sean Connery opposite a chirping, vapid Tippi Hedren.
TERENCESTAMPANDMONICAVITTI_TERENCEandMONICA_ChrisSteinatProudGalleriesLondon.png

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It seems like Hitchcock was trying to save money by not casting stars. I think he undercut the effectiveness of his style of movie-making by going cheap. Topaz suffered from the same lack of stars plus a dull script. Marnie had the very effective Sean Connery opposite a chirping, vapid Tippi Hedren.
I agree absolutely about the magnificent Sean Connery, but I think Tippi Hedren was also really good.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Hm. These things can be a bit subjective, but it almost sounds to me like a tone mapping and/or brightness issue in the projection set-up. I've got a 4K JVC (RS1100/NP5) but I don't encounter that.

Put another 100 hours on your lamp and you will. ;)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Put another 100 hours on your lamp and you will. ;)

lol I've got 900 hours but haven't lost much in Low Lamp (~10%). That's what's nice about these newer gen JVC lamps vs the old ones. I'm 50/50 on moving at some point and if I do, I will be moving to a much bigger screen and will have to get a laser unit for more brightness.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Yes Jon Finch is really close to the bottom of the barrel as the hero. Think if a much more magnetic 34 year old Terrence Stamp had been cast in the lead instead. And maybe a Romy Schneider, Liv Ullmann or maybe even Monica Vitti cast as the sensible ex-wife (imagine how upsetting the subsequent events would have been). Maybe expand the interplay between the exes to pull the audience towards them both. It seems like Hitchcock was trying to save money by not casting stars. I think he undercut the effectiveness of his style of movie-making by going cheap. Topaz suffered from the same lack of stars plus a dull script. Marnie had the very effective Sean Connery opposite a chirping, vapid Tippi Hedren.
View attachment 204953
I don’t know that is the case. I think hangout exactly what he wanted which was to have a villain far more charismatic as it works in the scene where Barry is trying to retrieve his tie pin. Audience actually feel rather slimy because we are almost rotting for him and it adds to the tension. If Hitch were simply trying to save money, he could have gone with many other unknown or lesser known actors. I doubt that Stamp’s fee would have busted the budget. The actors play the script and I suspect Hitch wanted unappealing leads to contrast and highlight Barry’s character. Remember, he tried to get Michael Caine for the role so, again, I don’t think it was as much about money as part of his plan.

i think, with Topaz, it was a reaction to working with two high profile stars. Hitch wasn’t adverse to using high profile actors if it helped the film. With Topaz, I think it was much more about not wanting to distract from the political thriller angle and wanting something that had a sense of reality (even if it didn’t in the end) because a star would have pushed their persona ahead of the picture. Given that “Frenzy” was stripped of the polish one expected from Hitch, I think all of this points to a deliberate effect As it’s more stark than many other Hitchcock films.

Hitch hired Bruce Dern, William Devine and Karen Black for his next feature so I think this was deliberate choice.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Looks like there is a discussion to be had here about the quality of Frenzy as a movie but it certainly got a very nice UHD release that puts the previous Blu-ray to shame.

So that is another excellent release brought to us by one of the Universal Alfred Hitchcock collections!

My only gripe is the packaging on all these collections. It looks nice when opened and it is very compact but with regard to how it affects the discs it is probably the worst packaging I have in my collection and it is almost criminal that Universal has carried on with this madness for three whole boxes. I regularly see scratches when taking out the discs and twice there even was residue of glue from the cardboard on the UHD!

So I have now decided to save all the discs in all three collections from cardboard hell and I am looking for suggestions on what to do with them. I never had to do this before and my previous Hitchcock BD collection is not much better either so I cannot put them there either. So open to suggestions on how to find a somehow nice place for these discs. Until now I had some of them put in some blank double cases but I have now moved them over to one of those big old CD storage folders:

1710059129071.png

Not a nice way to store these so it would be great if members had a better looking idea where to put them that would enable them to be again part of my regular collection and not hidden somewhere on the side.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
The cast of Frenzy were second ranking English actors who we can assume were chosen not to outshine the drab surroundings of the area and time. I don't think a casual viewer would realise it was a Hitchcock picture. He came home for this one, sadly!
The actors in Frenzy were all mainstream and first class and selected for that very reason and to suggest otherwise is totally incorrect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks