What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If one considers Sir Alfred's late Universal (Lew Wasserman) period, there are six films, beginning with The Birds in 1963, and ending with Family Plot in 1976. Between them - Marnie (1964), Torn Curtain (1965, Topaz (1969) and Frenzy (1972).

By 1966, many of his long-time stalwart contributors had fallen by the wayside, although Henry Bumstead returned for Topaz and Family Plot.

With Robert Burks and George Tomasini replaced, things began to look - and feel - different.

Although there are pleasures to be found in all six of these films, and half of them are part of the Hitchcock Collection 3, most viewers will gravitate toward The Birds, and some outright denigrate some of the others.

Frenzy, Hitchcock's final UK production, is a film I've always enjoyed. It has a far more modern look to it than his earlier works, and joins the 1960s trend toward nudity late for the master of suspense.

Universal's new 4k disc is gorgeous from any and all perspectives, and I've personally never seen the film look this good even in 35mm.

Only one word comes to mind.

"Lovely!"

Image – 5 (HDR10)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7.5

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Worth your attention - 9

Slipcover rating - 2

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
What did that author write that became a decent film?

Well, Hitchcock later turned to her (Daphne Du Maurer) works for Rebecca and The Birds. And, while it’s might not be the best adaptation of her work, I liked the 1952 version of My Cousin Rachel. One of the main problems I have with Hitchcock’s adaptation of Jamaica Inn is that they give away the twist way too early.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Easily Hitchcock's worst film.
I'm not sure it's his worst film but It's certainly one I've never liked. However, in view of RAH's very positive review of this 4K disc, I'll have a second look at the Blu-ray disc to see if I want to spend money on an upgrade.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Especially with these latest releases from Universal, Hitchcock seems one of a very small number of filmmakers to have almost their entire works available in some home video format.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
This is in my top five Hitchcock films. It's not at all the sort of film you'd expect from a filmmaker in his 70s and got his start in the silent era. There's a diabolical, almost evil edge to it. The wrong man isn't a suave type that you naturally like and Hitchcock dares us to want the killer to get away with it. While I find Family Plot to be a fun, lighter fare... This is the last masterpiece from the master of suspense.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This is in my top five Hitchcock films. It's not at all the sort of film you'd expect from a filmmaker in his 70s and got his start in the silent era. There's a diabolical, almost evil edge to it. The wrong man isn't a suave type that you naturally like and Hitchcock dares us to want the killer to get away with it. While I find Family Plot to be a fun, lighter fare... This is the last masterpiece from the master of suspense.
Agreed. From what I was told by his co-workers, Family Plot was a problematic shoot, as AH was having some physical problems. He was apparently seated much of the time, and while he kept his production bungalow open for a period thereafter, moving projects along, it wasn’t going to occur.

Henry Bumstead told me that he had taken AH to a location for approval. It wasn’t great weather. Apparently Hitchcock lowered the car window, took a look, raised the window, and told him to build it at the studio.

While some of the set pieces in Family Plot are lovely, including the cemetery sequence, it’s also one of the more artificial looking productions, especially with rear screen - a problem rather illuminated in a 4k OCN scan.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Topaz probably would be improved by putting the shorter theatrical version on disc rather than the extended pre-release version that they’ve been putting out for years.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Well, Hitchcock later turned to her (Daphne Du Maurer) works for Rebecca and The Birds. And, while it’s might not be the best adaptation of her work, I liked the 1952 version of My Cousin Rachel. One of the main problems I have with Hitchcock’s adaptation of Jamaica Inn is that they give away the twist way too early.

An underappreciated one is Mitchell Leisen's film of Frenchman's Creek, which I think has only been released (on home video) by Universal as a DVD-R.

I'm rather surprised that Brexit didn't inspire someone to make a film of her final novel, Rule Britannia. It's a rather bizarre, dystopian, and satirical, book about Britain leaving the EEC (a proto-EU) in the 1970s.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If you think Frenzy is worse than Waltzes from Vienna and Jamaica Inn you need to stay off the weed.
I’ve always found Jamaica Inn rather interesting. Does Mr. Laughton chew the scenery a tad? Yes.

”Make way for Pengallan!”

Waltzes from Vienna was called by Hitchcock, “The Lowest ebb of my career.”

I agree.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Especially with these latest releases from Universal, Hitchcock seems one of a very small number of filmmakers to have almost their entire works available in some home video format.
Waltzes from Vienna was called by Hitchcock, “The Lowest ebb of my career.”

And to tie that comment to your previous one, I believe it's one of the very few Hitch titles not available on home video.

Well, not available on DVD-and-later-format home video. And in the US. I couldn't swear whether any of the titles not on DVD/BD/UHD got released on VHS and/or in other countries. The others that I don't think have been released are The Pleasure Garden, The Mountain Eagle, and Mary (the German-language version of Murder!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks