What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Topaz -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hitchcock's 1969 Topaz, based upon the best seller by Leon Uris, seems to be given short shrift in many circles. Interesting that Uris receives no mention in the credit block.

Although not A Hitchcock, I've always enjoyed the film, which is beautifully photographed by Jack Hildyard.

Universal has created a new 4k UHD release, based upon a stellar scan of the OCN. We'll simply attest to the fact that everything is perfect.

My favorite shot in the film - Karin Dor falling to the marble floor. My least favorite, the knee protectors...

Image – 5 (HDR10)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7.5

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Worth your attention - 7.5

Slipcover rating - 2

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Same here. Like you said elsewhere, the cold war setting is a favorite for some of us, and the major set pieces - the Soviet family defection, the Cuban scenes, and the Harlem sequence in particular - are top flight Hitchcock masterpieces to these eyes.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
That's Hildyard!
Yes, it is! But not to Auto-kerrect. Came up first three times as Hillary, then relented a bit, but still had its way.

David Lean wanted Hildyard on board to shoot Lawrence, but his agent insisted on doubling his fee.

Enter Freddie Young, and a totally new look for Lean.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I need to give this movie another try. I have tried to watch it a couple of times, but lose interest or fall asleep. I have read a fair share of spy novels through the years, and the historical period interests me, but this movie never has.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
It's too long, but I like it. Never understood why it isn't more highly regarded. I like TORN CURTAIN, too!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I'm a fan, it's my favourite of his post Birds films. Good cast, perhaps not 'A' listers, but always liked Frederick Stafford, Karin Dor, and Michel Piccoli from their European films. Also stars the great Roscoe Lee Browne. I like the script, production values, and Hitchcock style.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I get why some aren't into this one, but as a Hitch fan and of cold war movies, I like it (and Torn Curtain).

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
Hitchcock's 1969 Topaz, based upon the best seller by Leon Uris, seems to be given short shrift in many circles. Interesting that Uris receives no mention in the credit block.

Although not A Hitchcock, I've always enjoyed the film, which is beautifully photographed by Jack Hildyard.

Universal has created a new 4k UHD release, based upon a stellar scan of the OCN. We'll simply attest to the fact that everything is perfect.

My favorite shot in the film - Karin Dor falling to the marble floor. My least favorite, the knee protectors...

Image – 5 (HDR10)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7.5

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Worth your attention - 7.5

Slipcover rating - 2

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Hello Robert, just wondering if you will be reviewing The Man Who Knew Too Much. Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I'm a fan, it's my favourite of his post Birds films. Good cast, perhaps not 'A' listers, but always liked Frederick Stafford, Karin Dor, and Michel Piccoli from their European films. Also stars the great Roscoe Lee Browne. I like the script, production values, and Hitchcock style.
Stafford is pretty cool and would have made a great Bond, see his Two OSS films from the sixties.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Stafford is pretty cool and would have made a great Bond, see his Two OSS films from the sixties.
Yeah, I think he would have been better than Lazenby, and way better than some of the close calls like John Gavin and James Brolin.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hello Robert, just wondering if you will be reviewing The Man Who Knew Too Much. Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks.
I’ve seen parts of it. Appears better than the Blu-ray. Here’s a nice review. The YouTuber seems to like the green on the spine. Most important thing is to learn how to properly remove the outer wrapping without damages the discs.

This is both more dangerous and potentially damaging to the discs than previously reported.

Lot to be learned here about the films, including the metaphysical attributes of Alien Layer Technology (ALT).

Last edited:

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
I’ve seen parts of it. Appears better than the Blu-ray. Here’s a nice review. The YouTuber seems to like the green on the spine. Most important thing is to learn how to properly remove the outer wrapping without damages the discs.

This is both more dangerous and potentially damaging to the discs than previously reported.

Lot to be learned here about the films, including the metaphysical attributes of Alien Layer Technology (ALT).

Don’t forget to “Like” and “Subscribe”.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Don’t forget to “Like” and “Subscribe”.
Already have. I learn a great deal from YouTube.

Have you any idea what percentage of new disc collectors are confused by a label taking up a side, unlike early DVDs, which were shrunken laserdiscs. Actually, many collectors purchase laserdiscs and put them through a miniaturization process, which was how the first DVDs were produced back in 1996.

And then there is the danger of leaving original wrap on lasers, as it warps them. Best to remove, although value drops precipitously.

Lastly, are the extremely important videos showing in detail, the replacement of the Blu-ray needle. 4k can only be replaced by a Best Buy Genius.

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean

I can’t wait until he finds out that The Man Who Knew Too Much is a remake.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I think almost all these UHD transfers are streaming on various platforms. They all say UHD - only this latest batch seems to not all be UHD yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks