What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

50s sitcoms - Buried Forever? (1 Viewer)

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
The Game Show Network did show a pretty large batch of 'daytime' "Password" episodes, of roughly 1966-67 vintage. They had guests like Irene Ryan, Bob Crane, Steven Hill, Amanda Blake, Ross Martin, and such. The tapes were color, and looked quite nice.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Don't want to get too much farther off track, I would like to see BCI get their hands on any of the extant Password shows from any era, considering that CBS is bringing it back in primetime.

Zardon

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
I've seen many of them, but that was a continuation of the same B & W package -- all CBS episodes.
ABC didn't pick it up until a few years later.

wizard55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
I think its so sad how so many early programs were erased or taped over. :frowning: It amazes me how some of these early classic televisions series can end up buried in a dingy garage or attic somewhere. I wonder how many more are out there waiting to be discovered.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It is indeed tragic, and I don't need to go over the reasons why it was done. All I can say is, there but for the grace of God goes your favorite show.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
One of the absolute 50s comedy classics is coming soon and people are going to be very happy. I know I am. Unfortunately, that's all I'm allowed to say at this point. Suffice it to say that there's some good news on the horizon.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, if it's a comedy from the '50s, I'm bound to like it.

Since Shout! recently announced they're going to be offering season sets of various shows "on demand," I'm getting the feeling that that's going to be the main method of delivery for the upcoming decade (which will start in only three weeks!)

I'm hoping that the 2010's, instead of bringing the end of classic TV on DVD, will be a new beginning. All I ask is that the episodes are uncut and in relatively good condition and that the companies open their vaults to anything and everything from at least the first three decades of television.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If we're talking 50s classic that has had NO representation at all on DVD (which would rule out Sergeant Bilko for instance which at least has a good "Best Of" set), then the one that comes most to mind for me is "Burns And Allen". The two seasons of uncut episodes released on VHS by Columbia House in the early 90s remain prized possessions of mine.

Jack Benny's filmed shows would also be most welcome to see at last too.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^"The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" is the first one that I thought of... but I'd gladly take "Burns and Allen" too! Heck, I'd take "Bilko" if they would just release it as season sets!

The thing about it is that "One of the absolute 50s comedy classics" can mean *many* series from that decade, including "Amos 'n Andy" (which I'd *love* to see get a true release) as well.

Truth be known, I'd take just about *any* 50's comedy series that's not had a "legit" release.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly

Was Dennis the Menace from the 50s or the 60s?
"Dennis the Menace" is in the same ballpark as "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis". Both ran for four seasons from 1959-1963.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by BobO'Link

^"The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" is the first one that I thought of...
My first thought was "Dennis the Menace"... but I would be over the moon if it was FINALLY "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis".

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Dennis and Dobie I think are more appropriately early 60s sitcoms, not 50s ones.

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
Not sure if this is what you are referring to or not, but I read somewhere (not sure if it was TVonDVD.com) that the Goldbergs are going to be coming to DVD next year. I'd love to see more Jack Benny released on DVD than the "Best of" compilations that have been released over the past few years.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I would love to see the classic show Topper get an official complete series release.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The Phil Silvers Show doesn't have official DVD season releases?

I just assumed it had and figured I'd eventually get around to purchasing them. I can't believe that one was ignored, it was still regularly syndicated throughout the 1990s. Wasn't many years ago when it was pretty much on TVLand at least once a day.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Since we all love to classify things by decades, what do we do with series that ran in part in two decades (or even three, like "Gunsmoke")?

I think generally, a show is classified by when it began, so even things like "Dennis the Menace," "Dobie Gillis" and "The Twilight Zone," which began in late '59 and had over 95% of their runs in the 1960's, are classified as 1950's shows.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, I'm not sure if Neil knows about a couple of 50's offerings that I know are coming in 2010, but whether we are talking about the same show or not I concur that there's one well known 50's series coming that I'm personally very happy about (and someone here has already mentioned it). There are actually several neat series coming, from both the comedy and western genres that I'm looking forward to. That's all I dare say.

Gary "Neil, you really are being a tease - LOL" O.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Gary OS, you've confused me. You've been saying quite a bit on this Forum that the days of Classic TV on DVD are over, for all intents and purposes --- and now you're saying there are "several neat series coming."

I wish you guys could give us some clues. Also, will these be regular releases, or part of the new "on demand" system?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks