What's new

50s sitcoms - Buried Forever? (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

Gary "hope that clarifies things a bit more" O.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Seems to me, in my opinion, that Timeless and Shout! are fast becoming new players in the game, willing to take chances on TV shows that the larger companies are not willing to risk finances on. Shout! actually did prove the model of offering the sets exclusively through them and not to stores successful with Transformers and GI Joe and are now testing it again with older shows like Goldbergs, Ironside and so on.

I doubt we're going to see a rebound any time real soon, but I'm not totally pessimistic about the situation. I do think as the economy improves, sales will pick back up. That may not help the older shows that we're talking about, but then again, it could.

Incidentally, I saw that Shout! recently discontinued their two 3 disc sets of You Bet Your Life. I've got my copies, but makes me wonder if a.) the rights have reverted back to NBC for those episodes or b.) they're planning a repackage to put them back out in the market.

As for me, I'm interested in Goldbergs, but everything else is case by case, dollar by dollar. Sadly, I just can't jump at every offer, much as I might want to take a chance on discovering something new.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure the whole runs of HGWT and Rawhide will be remastered to high-def. because both shows were sold to Encore Westerns. I don't necessarily think that implies DVD releases but as long as they run on Encore, which means they are complete and uncut, I'm not that concerned about future DVDs as I can make my own now. As a matter of fact, HGWT starts in the new year with a 48-episode marathon.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, for the '50s comedy classic, I'm going to place my bet on "The Phil Silvers Show," also known as "Sergeant Bilko."

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
The only other one that comes to mind (and I hope I'm right) is The Jack Benny Program.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I would be all over a legit release of JACK BENNY. That was a terrific show that still holds up quite well. The sheer volume of episodes (something like 15 seasons) makes it a daunting task though.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
What's daunting is remembering that the format of the Benny show was not consistent. Some times he'd do a live variety type show, other times a filmed sitcom like show, and thus it's not really a title you could do in "seasons" since the first few years would have been all live kinescope type shows. Any release would likely be of the filmed shows that were part of the syndication package and which are Universal owned I believe.

One thing I wish we could see in the DVD release of any of the filmed Benny shows though would be the restoration of the integrated commercials because Benny was always particular about having the commercial be a carryover from the action and the TV shows in reruns often seem to lack something because they're not there any longer.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Oh, here's another 50s show that I'd love seeing tried: The Gene Autry Show. Image did release eight of the first nine episodes on DVD way back in the early part of the decade and given the efforts to get westerns out (Gunsmoke, Bonanza, the revival of HG, WT), why not try this? Besides, all the episodes are already remastered for broadcast on Encore Westerns.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
When I peer over to my many bookcase shelves of tv-dvd sets (comprised almost exclusively of 50s/60s-vintage fare), the biggest gaping hole in my collection does seem to be the distressing lack of 1950s sitcoms. They've been terribly under-represented, with far too few releases over the past few years. Just a few decades back, one could encounter on cable reruns of shows like "Life of Riley," "Topper," "I Married Joan," "The People's Choice," "Love that Bob," "Burns and Allen," and quite a few others. I used to think at least a few would eventually make the dvd grade, but that was back when things looked brighter.

One 1950s sitcom I've always wanted to see was "The Brothers," with Gale Gordon and Bob Sweeney. I had several people tell me it was a very funny show. However, it was a rather short-lived series, and I don't think it even ever made it to syndication.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bert Greene

One 1950s sitcom I've always wanted to see was "The Brothers," with Gale Gordon and Bob Sweeney. I had several people tell me it was a very funny show. However, it was a rather short-lived series, and I don't think it even ever made it to syndication.

I finally saw an episode at UCLA a few years back. Ooo boy, I could barely get through it. Pretty, pretty bad. I'm just guessing but I imagine the people who saw it and told you it was funny were very young at the time. When I was little, I enjoyed Baileys of Balboa, Camp Runamuck and It's About Time. Try watching any of those as an adult. Yeeeesh.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jack P

What's daunting is remembering that the format of the Benny show was not consistent. Some times he'd do a live variety type show, other times a filmed sitcom like show, and thus it's not really a title you could do in "seasons" since the first few years would have been all live kinescope type shows. Any release would likely be of the filmed shows that were part of the syndication package and which are Universal owned I believe.

One thing I wish we could see in the DVD release of any of the filmed Benny shows though would be the restoration of the integrated commercials because Benny was always particular about having the commercial be a carryover from the action and the TV shows in reruns often seem to lack something because they're not there any longer.

The UCLA archive has the Benny collection and they have all but about 20 episodes of the series. I know that they wanted to do something to get them released. Not sure what Universal's ownership is other than as a syndicator. All of the episodes, including the filmed ones, list the copyright as Benny's production company. Regardless, I think those shows would be a nightmare to try to clear. There was so much music in them with some episodes being almost entirely made up of musical performances on his variety show within a show. Given the current (bad) sales climate for older series, I don't anticipate this one any time soon.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Which is why I've started recording episodes off of RTV. Too bad I only get one episode a week here.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm pretty sure Universal would have rights to release the filmed shows in the syndicated package because all previous VHS releases of filmed Benny shows that I've seen were done by Universal.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Originally Posted by Jack P

A comprehensive Jack Benny collection is long overdue. I agree that the integrated commercials should be restored as part of the package.

wizard55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
I would love a list of all the early 50's sitcoms (or shows if possible) and next to each, a mention of how many episodes actually have been released on vhs/dvd ever. It would really help someone like me who likes to collect the more obscure...hardly available series' when I find them randomly around in bargain bins, thrift shops, streaming online, or whatnot.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
A VHS only release I treasure is Columbia House's release of some 45 episode of "Burns And Allen" from the first two filmed seasons in which most of them even retained the original commercials for B.F. Goodrich and Carnation Milk.

wizard55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
I think I would also not mind more episodes released of "Topper." I've only seen it available on 2-3 dollar DVDs with really bad audio and picture. Its not that bad of a show for its time period.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Well, by now most of us should be aware that ShoutFactory is bringing us the complete LEAVE IT TO BEAVER this summer, which gets a big hooray from me. I"m also pleased that in the years since this thread started, the "burn on demand" dvd-r's of certain other shows seem to be in the offing.
I hope this trend continues. i do not see that it would be costly to upload these series for us to buy, download and burn like itunes and other sites do.

I am in my mid 40's and even I didn't see these 50's and 60's black and white series in first run. There are some that I've always read about and never laid eyes on, some of which have been mentioned already: PETE AND GLADYS and DECEMBER BRIDE, I'm most curious about.

Real Name
Michael
Even ifthey tried to release shows as "season sets", I wonder what they would do to shows that have lost episodes, especially if the earlier ones were never saved. Would they title them "volume 1" or list the proper season number even if no first season episodes exist?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
They really need companies to do best of single discs with say 4-8 episodes of some of the 1950's Sitcoms to test the waters.

Episodes could be selected based on first episode/pilot,key episodes,notable guest starts and even just episodes that best represent the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks