What's new

20th Century Fox's 'Film Noir Classics' DVD Series (2 Viewers)

Brian La

Auditioning
Does anyone know if THE THIRD VOICE is coming to this series? FOX is doing so well with this series--even though they stretch the term FILM NOIR. Was glad to hear on the commentary of HOUSE OF STRANGERS that "it has elements of film noir". Thanks. Was not happy to hear the finale music was lifted note for note from Newman's THE RAZOR'S EDGE score.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Brian, my copy has a booklet plus two promotional ads, one for FMC and one showing all 18 Noir titles in the series.
To address a question someone else had earlier in this thread, BOOMERANG is #16 in the series.

TimJS

Second Unit
Steve...O said:
Brian, my copy has a booklet plus two promotional ads, one for FMC and one showing all 18 Noir titles in the series.
To address a question someone else had earlier in this thread, BOOMERANG is #16 in the series.
Brian, my copy as Steve described as well.
Tim

Brian La

Auditioning
You are correct. I opened another copy I got and it has the booklet! The one without the booklet did have the two ads, though. Thanks.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
I found 3 copies at XXXXXX today, one for myself and two extra. If anyone is interested in purchasing one from me, PM me.

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
@Vincent-P
If you would ship to Germany to a fellow collector without trying to rob me blind - I would be most certainly interested !
PM me

PatH

Second Unit
For 6/6/06 House of Strangers and I Wake Up Screaming are listed for release in this series, but they usually come in threes so what's the third? If it's Boomerang!, Deep Discount doesn't list it, IMdB shows it available on that date in Canada and Britain and Amazon doesn't list it it in the US but does in Canada? What goes on? Thanks!
PatH

JohnPM

Second Unit
There seems to be that one retailer who got in copies of "Boomerang" and has been selling them. Yesterday I bought it at one of the stores, but I don't know of another retailer that is putting "Boomerang" on their shelves. Was it shipped to this one store only, or has anyone seen it elsewhere?
http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

howardWB

Grip
Aside from the one retailer that we found this disc of "Boomerang" last week at...I did see two copies in another retailer here in NYC...so maybe it's more widely distributed than thought?
Regards,
Howard
:)

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Folks,
Not only was I lucky enough to find a copy of BOOMERANG for myself — but I found a second copy as well!
While in theory it sounds wonderful to attempt to part some poor idiot from their hard-earned cash on eBay for this… but I'd much rather do a fellow HTF reader a favor instead. I personally hate it when someone finds a store with 5 copies of a "rare" disc, and buys every single copy — 1 for their own collection, and 4 for eBay — rather than giving fellow collectors a chance to get a copy as well.
Quick Memory Flashback / Related Side Story:
This reminds me waaaay back in the early '90s when the first "Alien" action figure series came out. Dealers — not collector's — were waiting in packs with friends outside of Toys R Us' first thing in the morning the day new shipments were to be put out. This one day, as soon as the store doors opened, all these guys immediately grabbed shopping carts, ran over to the "Aliens" section, surrounded and blocked the display so nobody else could grab a figure, and literally shoveled the entire batch into their carts. If I (or the other two real collectors who were there) tried to grab a figure off the display, we were shoved away with an arm or a cart. Between them, all six or so of their carts were overflowing with EVERY SINGLE ACTION FIGURE the store put out that morning. Not one left on the display, and we're talking a few hundred figures.
I was missing one figure... one measly figure... and I politely asked if one of them would please just let me have that one figure that I needed to complete my collection — especially since they each had at least 25+ multiples of the same figure in their carts. They all looked at me like I was insane, and almost in unison told me in to go F**K myself in a variety of interesting ways. A stupid $5.99 figure, and out of ~400 or so total figures that these guys grabbed, none of them could find it within themselves to let anyone else have just one figure — they simply couldn't let one get away because they HAD to resell it in their own store(s) as "rare" with a $20 markup. We complained to the manager at that store, and although he was admittedly appalled that these few guys took every figure, he also refused to intervene.
I swore at that time to NEVER screw any fellow collector over in such a manner.
Thankfully, by the time the next shipments came in a couple weeks later, Toy R Us corporate had implementing a limitation on figure purchases, allowing real customers a chance to actually purchase some.
Anyway, getting back to the issue at hand…
THE FOLLOWING OFFER IS GOOD ONLY FOR AN HTF READER LIVING IN THE WEST LOS ANGELES AREA (or nearby if you feel like driving).
In order to give a fellow HTF reader a chance at obtaining this now "rare" disc for their own collection, I placed this second copy of BOOMERANG on hold at a store in the West L.A. area.
UPDATE:
My offer is now officially null and void. If you're still looking for a copy, simply check in with your local Borders for yourself. Good luck...
Best,
Jeff

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator
Somebody is pulling your legs, peeps. My copy came from Netflix yesterday. So I'd refrain from the mad dash to Borders or from throwing away a c-note on ebay.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Somebody is pulling your legs, peeps. My copy came from ******* yesterday.
They're pulling a lot of legs, then. It's been reported as delayed indefinitely by several news sources. DDD isn't shipping copies. DVD Aficionado lists it as postponed. Amazon doesn't even have a listing.
Boomerang has been taken off the market -- whether for a few weeks, months, or forever. The fact that a few copies slipped out and some retailers aren't honoring the recall doesn't change that.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This probably doesn't qualify as "noir" per se, but it does involve Lloyd Nolan, who is a Noir favorite and the films do have some noir elements.
Per Barrie Maxwell's latest column at the bits, Fox is releasing a Michael Shayne Box Set (Volume 1) in 2007.
WOW - for a studio that only a couple of years ago said there was no money in Charlie Chan films, we now are looking at getting the entire run of the Chan & Moto films plus the relatively obscure (but very well done) Michael Shayne series. Plus more great noirs and other collections of classic films.
Fox has already locked in my vote for "most improved studio of the year" and will probably be Studio of the Year for studios not named WHV. I assume that Steve Feldstein at Fox is responsible for much of their turnaround with regards to classic film and he deserves much credit for this.
Steve

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I agree with you Steve. Fox is really surprising me this year with all those new classic releases on dvd.

Great job Fox!

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
From DVD Savant's House of Strangers review:
Another Fox film noir, Elia Kazan's Boomerang!, was supposed to be released at the same time but was held up; Savant heard the rumor (this is a rumor!) that the reason is a defective mastering problem, and not some legal issue that could conceivably hold it up for a long time. Hopefully the superior Boomerang! will catch up with the series shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks