What's new

20th Century Fox's 'Film Noir Classics' DVD Series (1 Viewer)

richardWI

Second Unit
oscar_merkx said:
it's interesting to see that releasing an olderfilm on dvd these days can still cause people to be upset.
Why can't people just move on ?
Imagine seeing that message posted to the star wars thread!
All these delays of noirs lately are disconcerting.

Duncan_N

Stunt Coordinator
Jay E said:
FYI: DeepDiscountDVD and Digital Eyes/DVD Planet are having a sale on $14.95 Fox DVDs (400 titles). Buy 2 at $9.95, get a third free. This includes pre-orders, so you can pick up the June Film Noirs at a good price. Using a coupon at Digital Eyes, you can get them at around $6 each. There are a bunch of Fox titles coming out in the next few months that I really want so this sale couldn't come at a better time!
Is this offer still on? I've got at least 3 still to get including the new pre-orders but can't find the coupon anywhere.

ted:r

Second Unit
Steve...O said:
Isn't that the truth? There are a whole list of movies that are in limbo because of this. At least this can still be shown on TV.
I would like to know what else is being held up and for what reason.
It is sad that "Boomerang" is being held up and I can only hope the problems are resolved soon.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
If anyone else finds a copy - PLEASE - pick up an extra copy for me!!!
I'll reimburse + some immediately!!!
I was really looking forward to this one, and unfortunately... no Borders on Quebec.
Please help a fellow film junky out!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Deepak Shenoy said:
from XXXXXX. They had more copies left. I was tempted to pick up additional copies, but figured that the delay was only temporary and it was only a matter of time before the title was officially released (I don't expect the DVD to fetch high prices on e-bay - I could be wrong though). Funnily enough this was the only title from the June Fox Noir wave that XXXXXX had in stock.
-D
I was about to post the same thing. I just bought my copy about an hour ago at a store I won't name per forum rules (although the message board you referenced gives the name). I may hang on to it unopened for awhile since I had to pay full MSRP for this. There were multiple copies in stock.
I wouldn't think our friends at Fox would have sent this to retailers if they didn't fully expect the legal issues to be resolved.
Steve

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Again, for us Canadian neighbors and film enthusiasts... I'd really appreciate it if somebody would be kind enough to secure an extra copy for me.
I was really looking forward to it's release and am a big noir buff. I'd feel really bad if the title happened to be pulled indefinitely and I was unable to grab one for myself.
These are fairly low-cost, if anyone in the area can please put down the extra thirteen or so dollars to grab a copy for me - I'd really be grateful and would fully reimburse you right away!
Thanks...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
For what it's worth... I just called a local retailer to inquire about Boomerang, and was told that they got a new date for release... June 6th - ??
I'm not sure if this is a Canadian distro thing, as titles are often held back a week or two - unfortunately, seemingly more often than not lately.
Or perhaps the person I spoke to just wasn't as informed as I mentioned to him that I'd heard it had been cancelled indefinitely but he said he hadn't received any message of that.
PS - I wonder how this will affect the numbering of the spines? :)

Charles H

Screenwriter
DVD FILE--in their review of HOUSE OF STRANGERS and I WAKE UP SCREAMING--says that BOOMERANG has been rescheduled for a Fall release.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Well I secured a copy from a nice person on the Criterion Forums who went out of his way to pick up an extra copy for me!
I wonder why it would have been pushed back until the Fall and whether it will fall in the same position as far as the spine numbering...

howardWB

Grip
Based on this thread I went looking for the Boomerang DVD and found it at my local XXXXXX. They had one copy. Wasn't on sale but it seems like a title
that is highly respected in the Film Noir genre and is a great blind buy for me.
Regards,
Howard
:)

howardWB

Grip
Oy! Sorry for the duplication which I edited (removed). Trying to get used to the workings of this forum.
Regards,
Howard
:)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I watched the Boomerang DVD this evening and was blown away at how good this film is (I had never seen it before). Great filmmaking all the way around. The DVD itself features a stellar transfer of a really good print. I haven't had a chance to listen to the commentary yet but probably will soon.
Kudos to Fox for a job well done on this title.
Steve

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Steve...O said:
I watched the Boomerang DVD this evening and was blown away at how good this film is (I had never seen it before). Great filmmaking all the way around. The DVD itself features a stellar transfer of a really good print. I haven't had a chance to listen to the commentary yet but probably will soon.
Kudos to Fox for a job well done on this title.
Steve
I totally agree on both counts and will be watching the commentary this morning.
If anybody wants to know the retailer that has this title in stock, please PM me. I've remove the name of the retailer because more than consumers read this forum.
Crawdaddy

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The commentary for Boomerang is enjoyable and a lot of information about Kazan and Noir is presented. The commentary mentions that the actor playing "Mac" is Robert Keith, the father of Brian Keith. However they don't tell you that Brian can clearly be seen about an hour into the movie as an extra. It's the scene outside the courthouse where a crowd has gathered. Meaningless trivia, but I get a kick out seeing stuff like that.
I must admit that when the voice over narrator mentions that the Dana Andrews character was modeled after Homer Cummings, I went "Who"? A google search showed him to be FDR's Attorney General and quite a distinguished public servent. When Boomerang came out, he was still alive (and not that far removed from being AG) so audiences of that time would have known that name.
Incidentally, I have an extra copy that I picked up. If anyone in the US or Canada wants it, please PM me. I will sell for my cost ($15.89) plus actual shipping. There's a copy on ebay right now that was approaching $70 the last time I looked. I have a feeling those bidders don't read HTF :)
Steve

Brian La

Auditioning
RE BOOMERGANG

Yes, I found 3 at a local ------- that had been placed on their shelf prior to the street date. Grabbed them since I love this film. I opened one and found it has no booklet. EVERY FOX noir series has had a booklet of 3-4 pages. I wonder if this is the problem? I recall the VHS tape was pulled also some years ago so FOX should have known if the rights problem still existed. "Look to the missing booklet" as the reason for the pull IMO.

"Hasty conclusion like toy balloon--easy blow up, easy pop"

THANK YOU FOX FOR BRINGING US THE CHARLIE CHAN FILMS. I just hope all goes well and no BOOMERANG type incident.

Brian La

Auditioning
Re ebayer buying the DVD for 70.00. ebayers are among the most misinformed people. pathetic what they buy and how much they spend. some buyer recently paid over 200.00 for a LIZA WITH A Z promo copy a week before it was recently released.

fellow poster: Did your BOOMERANG have a booklet in it? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks