What's new

2003-2004 NFL Season (Playoffs and coaching moves) (1 Viewer)

Jim_F

Screenwriter
My re-rebuilding Lions are already 1/6 of the way to a realistically acceptable win total. Two dates with da Bearz could get them half way there.

BUF and PIT made early statements today. Sure hate to see MIN come out of the gate hot.

Still OAK/TEN and PHI/TB in HD to go this weekend. Man, it's great to have NFL football again!

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Ouch, just ouch. 31-zip Buffalo. That game was almost comical in how everything went wrong for the Pats. I mean just when it looked as if New England could've gotten back in the game: Brady throws an interception in the end zone, your defense finally stops the Bills offense, only to have the Buffalo punter kick for over 80 yards.

The plus side of the game is that it probably can't get much worse against Philly next week, oh wait yes it can, we're playing Philly. :)

But man it's great to have football again. I can't wait for the Eagles vs. Raiders matchup tonight in HDTV.

A few quick notes on some of the other games going on atm:

Atlanta over Dallas 27-13. Yay! Here's hoping Atlanta can put together a string of wins until Vick gets back.

No big surprise the Bengals went down big today, but Minnesota over Green Bay, and Houston over Miami are definate shockers.

Also good to see my old Steelers beating up on Baltimore good.

Bring on the night games!

Lowell

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I watched the Vikings game. Favre had 3 interceptions the first half. But for a while there I was thinking they would come back and win because the Vikings forgot how to play the 2nd half.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Seahawks looked goood today. The defense was as inspired and fired up as I have seen them in a long time, what a debut for Hamlin.

Hasslebeck looked good and would have had about 60 more yards if Jackson would have got those easy passes.

Alexander busted it up the middle and found the endzone twice. Overall a good start to the season.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
As I was saying ... :)
- Kordell Stewart has got to be the worst offseason signing in the NFL.
- Watch the Lions

Observations:
- Eagles should have gone after Takeo Spikes.
- What's Dick Vermiel up to down in KC? Building another stealth champion, perhaps?

Rising: Bills
Over: Packers/Rams
Fugedaboudit: Bears

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Well, if there ever was a case for firing an entire coaching staff (and GM) after one game, it was today's Bears game. I have never been so embarrassed.

The Bears stunk in every possible phase of the game. 2.8 yards per rush. 2.7 (!) yards per pass. 1 for 12 in 3rd down conversions. Kordell's QB rating is 21.4.

That this team extorted our city and fans for a $600 million refurbishment of Soldier Field (complete with PSLs and a hideous exterior which is a disgrace to the original landmark) is truly sickening.

The only thing saving the Bears from complete fan mutiny is that we're still focusing on the Cubs and Sox!

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see the game but does the field look anything like the old stadium? With the columns?

They were a good team last year, I for one was very surprised when I saw the score pop up.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
My Two Cents-

Bill-Patriots - Ah, what can I say. Brady just wasn't able to settle down and the others were too worked up over Malloy to focus on the task at hand. Don't count em out yet, though the Bills looked like a Super Bowl team out there...

Lions-Cards - Harrington looked great, Emmitt didn't, and this rookie receiver for Zona MAY be the next Randy Moss...

Texans-Dolphins - They're already shining up the silver platter for Wannstadt's head right about now...

Giants-Rams - Kurt Warner got his ass kicked so bad I felt sorry for him. Expect to see The Jints in Jan...

Broncos-Bengals - Plummer looked good but proved nothing against Da Bungles (what's Kitna doing out there??)

Vikings-Packers - Favre plays like shit, the whole team plays like shit. Nuff said...

Steelers-Ravens - Maddox doesn't disappoint, while Brian Billick needs an ESTABLISHED quarterback...

Chiefs-Chargers - Marty looks bad, so expect Chargers team to pay the price this week in practice...

Panthers-Jaguars - Brunell still has it, but Delhomme makes the more dramatic statement...

Colts-Browns - an absolute shitfest, as the kickers grab all the glory...

Falcons-Cowboys - they used smoke and mirrors to do it, but Reeves has got this team on track...

49ers-Bears - An Absolute Asskicking. Nothing more...

Seahawks-Saints - Here's hoping Holmgren isn't compelled to slit his wrists this year...:D

Titans-Raiders - one of the worst refereeing jobs of all time, but McNair and Co. could be heading to Houston.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
As a huge Titans fan, let me say two things about last nights game:

1) The Titans deserved to win. Their defense and receivers stepped up to play (McNair has been there, waiting, for a while).

2) It WAS the worse officiating I've seen in a while. The Raiders bore the brunt of it, but they lost the game themselves.

And a bonus, 3) Great fans in TN!

I won't do a game by game, like Ric. Way too early to make any season predictions. Who knows how good any of the winners are? Or how bad the losers are?

This I know:

The Bills defense (and best offseason signing Takeo Spikes) is no joke. Milloy just makes it better.

The Survivor game is now officially :D as the Texans won, eliminating about 50% of the players. I love the NFL.

The Cowboys are not very good.

Priest and Portis are pretty good backs.

The Detroit-Arizona game is tough to analyze. Is Detroit that good? Doubtful. Is Boldin that good? Is Rogers? When they play a decent defense, we'll come back to them. Until then, enjoy the moment.

Steelers receivers are the best bunch in the league. And Maddox was no fluke.

Craig Hentrich is AWESOME.

Take care,
Chuck

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Lions-Cards - Harrington looked great, Emmitt didn't, and this rookie receiver for Zona MAY be the next Randy Moss...
Don't be sold on that yet. Yes he had a great game, but if you watched the game you would know that 2 of his long catches were due to very poor tackling, he should have had a 7-10 yard gain and turned into 70. Second, he was covered by Jimmy Wyrick. My mom can cover better than JW.

He will be ok, just take this week with a grain of salt.

B

Kevin Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
"Titans-Raiders - one of the worst refereeing jobs of all time, but McNair and Co. could be heading to Houston."

A very disappointing outcome, to be sure, but my Raiders will need to show some self discipline if they expect to get the calls when they need them--as they did not in the fourth quarter with the Titans' out-of-bounds "touchdown".

It could have been much worse--Gannon's knee could've been seriously hurt.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Lions secondary could make Grandma Moses look like the next Randy Moss. Don't get too excited until you see Boldin play against a real NFL defensive backfield.

The encouraging thing to take from the game was that Harrington does look to be improving, Charles Rogers had a good first game, and the linebackers look to be improved. The downside is that the running game does not look good and the secondary looks terrible.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Kudos to Morten Andersen, who keeps on rolling in his 22nd year in the league. He actually said he wants to play until he's 50 years old!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Kurt Warner played a lot of the game with a concussion, and you could tell in the replays that he was totally out of it, and his decision making process was sluggish, which caused him to be confused, and the defense just collapsed on him as he just couldn't pull the trigger to throw the ball. His coach didn't realize this, and regretted playing him when Warner was concussed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks